Windows Vista

General discussion

I Am Unable To Boot My Vista PC Please Help!

by Robs58 / October 14, 2012 12:35 PM PDT

Greetings To All!

Background Info:

Am running Windows Vista Home Premium
Service Pack 2
System Type: 32 bit

Hardware:

Computer Model: HP a1700n
Processor: AMD thlon X2 250 Processor 3.00 GHz

Problem:

I am unable to boot. Previously, I was able to boot successfully. When I now try to boot, I encounter a screen which says the following:

"A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed
incorrectly or damage..."
File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the file"

What I have done to attempt to fix the problem as of this writing, is to install a known good HD into my computer that I can boot from. I then ran the "Malware Bytes" program against the non-bootable drive to check for viruses. The scan came back clean indicating no viruses, etc.

Your assistance is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,

Rob S.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I Am Unable To Boot My Vista PC Please Help!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I Am Unable To Boot My Vista PC Please Help!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sadly, from my research a virus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2012 1:41 PM PDT
Collapse -
Windows Vista forum: I Am Unable To Boot My Vista PC
by Robs58 / October 17, 2012 11:32 AM PDT
R.Proffitt:

Yes, I am able to mount and scan the non-bootable drive, and therefore I can recover the files/data if it comes down to that. However, my goal is to make the drive bootable again, and I feel that this can be done if I can arrive at the correct solution to the original problem - that the drive is non-bootable and the error message continues to appear as follows during boot attempt:

"A recent hardware or software change might have installed a file that is signed incorrectly or damage...
" File: \Windows\system32\winload.exe
Status: 0xc0000428 Windows cannot verify the digital signature for the file"

Also, I am not able to boot into the Advanced Boot options so booting into Safe Mode or "Last known good configuration" is not an option available to me. I performed all of the following, several times each, and I am still unable to boot:

bootrec /fixmbr
" /rebuildbcd
" /fixboot
" /scanos
sfc /scannow

In addition, I booted from a Vista repair disk and performed the "startup repair" option. Unfortunately, am still unable to boot. I have scanned the HD using the Malware Bytes application, but have not scanned with a regualr Anti-virus program. I am starting to think this could be a registry issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Regards, Rob S.
Collapse -
Disable signature verification
by Edward ODaniel / October 17, 2012 2:29 PM PDT

If you are able to boot to safe mode or the Windows Recovery Environment via the installation DVD.

There are 2 ways to disable digital driver signature enforcement; the 1st way is using command-line tool cmd.exe to execute this command-line bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks ON (be sure you include the spaces), the 2nd method which is recommended is to disable it through Group Policy Object (GPO),

1. Start -> In the search bar -> GPEdit.msc
2. Enable and Ignore Code signing for drivers policy under User Configuration ->
Administrative Templates -> System -> Driver Installation -> Code signing for drivers.

You may still get the warning but should get an option to press F8 key to continue booting.

Collapse -
There is no one correct method.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 17, 2012 2:35 PM PDT
Collapse -
Forget this. MalwareBytes is not an Antivirus program.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2012 1:43 PM PDT
Collapse -
SOLVED !!! Non-Bootable Windows Hard Drive Has Been Fixed
by Robs58 / October 21, 2012 12:47 PM PDT

Previously, I was unable to boot my windows Vista PC due to the problems indicated in my initial posting. Recently,
I have been able to restore my HD to a bootable condition and the problem has apparently been fixed.

Down below is the COMPLETE solution to fixing this extremely difficult problem! I say extremely difficult because I browsed through literally *HUNDREDS* of Google links before I found the correct link which listed the complete solution.

I emphasize the word "complete" because literally all of the links I visited except the referenced link (down below) only listed the partial solution and unless you had the complete solution, the problem would literally never get resolved!

Specifically, all of the "partially correct" links would direct you to perform steps 1 and 2 only; while omitting the most crucial step - step 3. Here is the link:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/itprovistasetup/thread/1d87f21e-2bca-4a3c-9dda-e54a1f363e4a

Ultimately, here are the exact steps, ran in the correct sequence order, which fixed my windows Vista boot problem.

One last time - you must run ALL of these steps (1,2 and 3). Only running steps 1 and 2 and then stopping will NOT fix the boot problem!

Boot from the Windows DVD or a repair CD (you may have to change the first boot device to CD/DVD in the BIOS), answer a few questions, select the Repair option in the bottom left corner and choose:

1. Startup Repair

2. If the above doesn't cure the problem, go back to the Repair Option and this time choose Command prompt, then type these 4 commands (in all instances the capitals are for clarity only):

BOOTREC /FIXMBR and press Enter
BOOTREC /FIXBOOT and press Enter.
BOOTREC /SCANOS and press Enter.
BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD and press Enter.

3. If it's not successful or you receive 'No operating system found' or 'Element not found' messages, go back to the command prompt and make the partition active by typing these commands:

DISKPART and press Enter.
LIST DISK and press Enter.
SELECT DISK N and press Enter (N represents the disk you want).
LIST PARTITION and press Enter.
SELECT PARTITION N and press Enter (N represents the partition you want).
ACTIVE and press Enter.
EXIT and press Enter.

Now go back to 1 above and run it again, perhaps run 2 as well.

It took me the better part of a full week of searching through many, many help links before I found the correct one!

Regards

Robs58

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.