Phones

General discussion

I am *so* done with smartphones

by virtualg / February 27, 2012 1:21 AM PST

I am so done with touch screen phones that require both eyes to on them to even speed dial a contact.

I am over the myth of the convergence device - the one device that does a lot of things mediocre instead of a few great.

I am sick & tired of rail thin devices that trumpet aesthetics over comfort and most of all, battery life.

I resent the phone companies that advertise streaming multimedia to your smartphone, then penalize your account if you do. I'm tired of playing that game.

I don't need company emails all weekend long, or constant facebook updates, or text messages that contain the phrase "LOL".

I'm done. My next phone is going to have nice large numeric keys, a battery life of 2 days, and it will fit comfortably in my hand and jacket pocket.

Done.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am *so* done with smartphones
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am *so* done with smartphones
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Only 2 days? What have SmartPhones wroth?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 27, 2012 1:28 AM PST

This is amazing. The daily charge routine has folk looking forward to TWO DAYS between charges.

My plain old TracFone goes weeks on standby. Well 2 weeks. If you use it, it can plummet to a day but I expect that.
Bob

Collapse -
There are some crazy innovations
by Pepe7 / February 27, 2012 10:02 AM PST

Have you heard of voice dialing yet?

Which carrier penalizes you for streaming?? Sure, maybe if you do not have the right data plan.

Turn your company email account off over the weekend. Switch to manual check for new messages at 5pm on Friday. Done. Ditto for Facebook.

I suggest you learn how to use alternate SMS apps for free instead of playing bloated carrier games, charging you for all those 'LOLs'. [LOL] For example, Apple's iMessage system is already putting a small dent on SMS w/ Verizon & ATT.

You will really have to reduce your phone's capabilities in order to get 2 days from a charge IME. Will that handset be enough after tasting what you could do w/ a smartphone(?)

Keep in mind any feature phone you pick up to replace that smartphone you don't like will likely require a minimum $15 or $20 messaging plan. That's how they get folks to go w/ smartphones, since it's often the similar price/outlay.

Comments?

Collapse -
Get...
by mwooge / March 2, 2012 11:16 AM PST

Get a Jitterbug. Aside from the keypad and on/off buttons, it only has four: up, down, yes, no.

After spending 4+ hours on an upgrade and still not able to access voice mail, I'm switching back.

Collapse -
Reality
by raydreamr / March 2, 2012 12:41 PM PST

I am sorry you are having a difficult time dealing with reality. That you dislike being on the forefront of a new world with a new reality. I was there when the touchtone was a freaky new thing that confused people for years, and color TV, what good is that? and what good are those stupid CB radios in the car, and what can you do with a computer with only 64KB that just plays games on the TV...

Image that, and I am only 54 and those are just some of the NEW things that have come and gone replaced by new and better. So I suggest if you wish to be done with the SmartPhone, take a nap, 2 maybe 3 years the way technology advances now, and the smartphone of today will be aging technology that you were complaining about before this new....

and the wheel keeps on turning.

Collapse -
get a smartphone with keyboard !
by mais51 / March 3, 2012 12:50 AM PST

Simple - get a smartphone with a keyboard such as Nokia or Blackberry - turn off facility you don't want or need - steer away from facebook and twitters and link-it - be a nobody then nobody will bother you. It is a tool so use it accordingly.

Collapse -
I agree
by janitorman / March 3, 2012 4:42 AM PST

I have a simple LG flipphone I got at walmart for $35. I talk on it. That's it. I wish it didn't have a damn camera on it. I like buttons, not some touchscreen thing I can't use. I don't see any use for the web on a telephone. If I want to use a computer, I want something with a screen I can SEE (at least laptop size, perchance?) The phone has to fit in the pocket. The computer doesn't.
Ah well, someday we'll have a dang computer requiring no screen, that is the size of a postage stamp (which means I'll lose it) and I'll have to get a keyboard to plug into it!

Collapse -
smart phone
by blurrier / March 3, 2012 12:22 PM PST

With all the phone activity you do, I would be amazed if you found a cell phone batt charge that lasted 2 days. If you want to regress, I have a good LG/VX8700 for you. It's the predecessor to the smart phone and is small and not dumb, at all. Shoot me an e-mail or reply if you want it. I bought a new Droid 'Charge' and it has a good voice recognition system that allows you to (1) speak words and it texts for you, (2) speak words and it dials phone numbers for you, (3) integrates with my new Pioneer car stereo for hands free cell phone communication. The guys at Car toys installed a little microphone near the sun visor and communication audio levels are great! Push a couple buttons and say "call so and so" and the female voice says "calling so and so". voices are piped through the car stereo speakers.
Now you must have an I Phone, I'm guessing? I was watching a news feed a couple months ago and the head there at Apple headquarters said he thought
Androids are better(by far) than Iphones. Good for Apple business, eh?
Lose the facebook (viruses will attck your smart phone from facebook apps., )

Collapse -
Phones for nothing
by pepicek444 / March 3, 2012 2:58 PM PST

Yes, you are right. Few days ago I checked power of GSM signal. So I changed my SIM card in various mobiles. Definetelly I put this in very old Nokia 6230. I was SO surprised! How smart is its funktions! Easy to find. Logic placement.
Since this time I use this phone. I understant it is not high-end, but I am more satisfied.
I do not need surfing internet, I do not need any chats, I do not need to plan my schedule hour by hour.
Years ago I gave up wearing time-clocks. Slow down, change your speedy thinking. Do not buy machines eating your life.

Collapse -
me too!
by jonjosephson / March 6, 2012 8:07 AM PST

I am totally with you on this. I am sick of my smartphone too. Give me something similar to my old Nokia from about 6-7 years ago and I'll be happy again. I hate predictive texting and I hate these little screens where my fat fingers hit every key except for the correct one. I don't need internet access or facebook on a phone. I got by just fine without it a few years ago and my monthly bill was about half of what it is now.

On another note, I am kind of surprised at how many people are trying to talk you out of your decision or to imply that you're backward or even stupid for rejecting the new technology. If you're happy with the old phone, as I was, then go back to it! You can always catch up to technology later if they actually do something about multiple dropped calls, low battery life, itst-bitsy screens that are barely readable and buttons that are way too small for human fingers.

Jon

Collapse -
It is so easy...
by raydreamr / March 6, 2012 11:31 AM PST
In reply to: me too!

It is so easy to turn off the stuff you do not need or even want. Heck. it is easier to get a cheap phone at "X"-Mart and and use that with most Cell Companies. or, in my case, I have a TracFone for calls, (the newest one I just got. it doesn't even have a speaker. I carry an iPod Touch, so if I DO want to do something on-line, I can find someplace with public access (very easy, I even have an APP for that <G>) and do what I wanna, If I need more serious on-line stuff while I am out. I have a Notebook/Laptop (one with small, one with big screen) where I can do what I gotta do anyplace with public WiFi.

Collapse -
smartphones
by pinkzroxor / March 6, 2012 12:00 PM PST

you should really take some time to get comfortable with your phone before considering going back to dumbphones.

There's a reason why it's called "smart"phone..

There are variety of apps that can help you with speed dialing without having to look at your phone with both your eyes..

So really, just take a day, or a week if needed, to learn your device and utilize it

Collapse -
I never went to "smart"
by wally6151 / March 7, 2012 8:01 AM PST

I use a phone like you say you want to go to. True, the battery lasts about 2 or 3 days.There always will be someone that wants you to view their vacation photos, send them a photo of the computer error screen, check a video clip, or access your bank or e-mail on the go. Since I have never done this, not many expect me to. If however, you work with hi-tech connectivity-dependent people, like teens or twenty-somethings, going to a "dumb" phone may alienate them. If this is not a problem, then this may save $40-50 bucks a month, and if constant accessibility is stressing you, this may help that too. But don't expect this change to go over well with everybody.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.