Spyware, Viruses, & Security forum

I am shocked and disgusted about what C|Net is doing

by Sharples87 / November 4, 2012 12:37 PM PST

The Babylon toolbar is a virus. I know this because I installed it before when I was installing something from C|Net. Later did I know that it was a virus and had to remove it. However, I downloaded another thing from C|Net, it asked if I wanted to keep Bing.com or install Babylon. Obviously I had chosen Bing.com I even made sure I did, I ticked the Bing.com option. But for some stupid reason, Babylon toolbar was installed anyway. Can anyone please tell me why this happened? I did pick the Bing.com option. I will NOT be installing anything from C|Net ever again. I have also used the search option. This has been going on for ages. Why is no one taking action against the Babylon toolbar? Especially that C|Net tries to help users with Spyware, Viruses & Software. I would like Babylon removed from C|Net if possible. Imagine how many people they have infected already. One thing is, I'll never be download from C|Net again.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am shocked and disgusted about what C|Net is doing
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am shocked and disgusted about what C|Net is doing
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If possible.
by Sharples87 / November 4, 2012 12:41 PM PST

If possible, I would like the moderators/admins to sticky a thread on saying don't install Babylon. At least to reduce the number of people getting infected by the Babylon toolbar virus.

Collapse -
I didn't find it to be a virus.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 4, 2012 2:01 PM PST
In reply to: If possible.

We had a discussion about this but can you share how it's a virus? I know it's a little hard to remove but viral?

Collapse -
It is.
by Sharples87 / November 4, 2012 11:14 PM PST

Babylon is a virus. I do not know what the virus does itself, however I think it tries to gather information from ones computer. e.g bank details, passwords. ect.

Also, if you go on YouTube, you will see numerous of videos: http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Babylon+toolbar+virus&oq=Babylon+toolbar+virus&gs_l=youtube.3..0.4021.12542.0.12709.

I would strongly suggest not installing this. And either way, the toolbar is useless its self it just acts like any other.

Collapse -
Sounds more like Spyware.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: It is.

Let's read what a virus is at the next link.

Since I have yet to see Babylon "replicate itself and spread from one computer to another" I think you are using it as they wrote "The term "virus" is also commonly, but erroneously, used to refer to other types of malware, including but not limited to adware and spyware programs that do not have a reproductive ability."

If you are going to call it a virus you may want to show where the viral actions are so we can work harder to get it out of the system.

So far I've tested those downloads myself and it never installed when I opted out so for now it looks like these toolbars are here to stay.

Collapse -
not actuall a virus
by walldoo99 / December 2, 2012 3:00 AM PST

I agree that it is not a virus that spreads itself from pc to pc but it will slow your pc to a crawl. Every time you click a link it sends that info to it's advertisers so they can spam you to death. So you click a link to go to www.xxxx.com and before you can get there it has to send this info out and then you can go to that site.
It can be removed by uninstalling and then I used spybot to clear out the rest but it still came up inchrome as the default search when I click to open a tab. I had to search how to remove that and I forget the process but it was really simple. Running spybot was the time consuming part of it. Sad

Collapse -
About Spybot. A little dated in my opinion.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 2, 2012 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: not actuall a virus
Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.