Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

I am not able to open word documents ( 2007) ?

by bspkumar / February 17, 2008 2:58 PM PST

> I am not able to open word documents ( office 2007) in a computer that has office 2003 installed?
> Can i install both office 2003 and 2007 in a single PC?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am not able to open word documents ( 2007) ?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am not able to open word documents ( 2007) ?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
That's proper
by MarkFlax Forum moderator / February 17, 2008 6:12 PM PST

Word 2003 did not include forward compatibility with Word 2007, so that would be proper.

However the good news is that Microsoft has a Compatibility Pack for Office 2003 users to enable them to open, edit, and save documents in the new Office 2007 formats.

It would save the expense of purchasing the full Office 2007 product.

I hope that helps.

Collapse -
Can't Open 2007 Office docs/sheets...
by MarkinTO / February 22, 2008 11:58 AM PST
In reply to: That's proper
Collapse -
by algreig / February 22, 2008 12:10 PM PST

You're not really meant to use the patch, it is just a smokescreen to make MS look less avaricious. What they really want you to do is to buy the latest and greatest. More fool you if you do. What you should do is discourage people from sending anything in .doc format. The potential for a malicious payload is high. The alternative is to get a copy of free, and create your document in OOo and save it as a pdf, then anyone can open it and it will look exactly as you intended it to. And ask them to do the same for you. If you need to develop a document collaboratively get Symphony or use Zoho (absolutely fantastic). But I would do this and then send a message to MS explaining why you have taken this course of action, and that you are fed up with their monopoly prractises.

Collapse -
by mlawson3 / February 22, 2008 2:23 PM PST

goto and DL the converter

Collapse -
Save Word 2007 documents in Word 2003 format
by giuliocesare / February 22, 2008 4:50 PM PST

The default format in which Word 2007 saves documents is .docx, one of the new XML-based formats of Microsoft. Word 2003 cannot use files of that format. But you can save Word 2007 documents in Word 2003 format (.doc without the x), fortunately. I do not know how to do so though, but you can search Word 2007 help to find out. And you can have both Word 2003 and Word 2007 at the same time and on the same computer, and not just Word. You can in fact do the same with all Office programs (except Outlook as far as I know), and even Office suites, which consist of more than one Office program.

Collapse -
Saving as .doc
by David Pyke / February 22, 2008 8:01 PM PST

As an add-on to the previous answer; when saving the document under the filename there is an option for 'Save as type'. If you open this yoou have access to save as many types including 'Word 79-2003' as a *.doc rather than the newer format of *.docx used by Word 2007

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Alternative to Word 2007 and the converter
by geocar27 / February 23, 2008 6:08 AM PST

NeoOffice will open .docx files. You can download NeoOffice for free, and open Word and other Office files without buying Office 2007 (go to or

Collapse -
by jrszabo / February 23, 2008 6:55 AM PST

2007 will work with 2003 files(backward compatibility), so you don't need 2003 if you install 2007

Collapse -
which will cost you $120 or so...
by galootey / February 24, 2008 4:26 AM PST

I only upgraded to Office 2007 because of some of the extra features it has. If you aren't planning on doing that I would try the suggestion of the earlier messages.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.