TVs & Home Theaters forum

I am looking for a device with an HDMI inp.and a Wifi outp.

by Dutch_Goofy / March 1, 2013 7:51 PM PST

Hallo other interested people who want's to help me,
I think I have the same problem as there was a few years ago.I want the output of my satellitereceiver (AV or HDMI)
put in a little box within it a WiFi transmitter for very short distances.
To understand an example. I have a Tivizen nano. That is a DVB-T receiver with a Wifi transmitter. I receive 4 DVB-T TV channels and those channels can i see On my tablet via an Android app.
In stead of that DVB-T receiver I like to get an HDMI input posibility.
I hope i am clear in this explanation.
Further on i hope somebody can help me,
Thank you

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am looking for a device with an HDMI inp.and a Wifi outp.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am looking for a device with an HDMI inp.and a Wifi outp.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
So you want to do the same thing as the...
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2013 12:45 AM PST

...nano, but instead of freeview over the air content, you would like to wirelessly stream output from your sat box to a handheld device close by?

Collapse -
HDMI in, WiFI out
by Dutch_Goofy / March 3, 2013 5:27 AM PST

You're absolutely write. Max 25 ft. In a caravan.

All Answers

Collapse -
If you have Dish Network...
by givemeaname / March 3, 2013 2:20 AM PST
Collapse -
HDMI in, WiFi out
by Dutch_Goofy / March 3, 2013 5:33 AM PST

No, I have'nt a dish network. I have a satellite Dish and a satellite Receiver. And I can put through the signal of the dish. That's all.

Collapse -
HDMI in, WiFi out
by Dutch_Goofy / March 3, 2013 5:37 AM PST

Oh, and I won't use internet!

Collapse -
But you will use internet protocol.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 5:59 AM PST
In reply to: HDMI in, WiFi out

If you can find what you want.

Can you share what came close and why you didn't pull the trigger?

Collapse -
This Actiontec product is about as close as you will get
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2013 1:21 PM PST
Collapse -
HDMI in, WiFi out
by Dutch_Goofy / March 3, 2013 9:09 PM PST

Hey Pepe7,
You almost understand my problem. The actiontec product consists of a transmitter and a receiver. But the WiFi receiver is already in my smartphone and/or tablet. And yes, I need also an app in the phone and the tablet. Such an app I already have. Please, if you have time, read the description about the app (ANDROID) Elgato Sat>IP and the site Elgato Eyetv sat free. But this Elgato Eyetv netstream sat needs also a home network and the Tivizen Nano don't. In addition, the elgato is a sat receiver but you can't receive pay TV. Then you have to combine Eyetv sat and Eyetv netstream sat, but this solution costs incl. a router almost EUR 500,-- to expensive.
I hope I help you to think in the right direction
Thanks Robert

Collapse -
OK. In that case, I don't see any solution for you
by Pepe7 / March 4, 2013 2:28 AM PST

At least not something which is an 'off the shelf' pre-made solution. It would likely have to by DIY (do it yourself).

I will take another look around, but my gut feeling says you are unfortunately SOL.

Collapse -
Here's the big hurdle.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 5:37 AM PST

Since HDMI demands HDCP, nothing in the USA should be for sale that does this.

I know why you can't find this thing. I hope I'll save you some time hunting for Waldo (he's not in the USA.)

Collapse -
HDCP shouldn't matter
by Pepe7 / March 3, 2013 1:26 PM PST
In reply to: Here's the big hurdle.
Collapse -
Sadly it does.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 3, 2013 1:35 PM PST
In reply to: HDCP shouldn't matter

Intel is quite clear about this. If you label your product with HDMI you accept it will have HDCP.

The device you noted is an HDMI extender or bridge so the HDCP handshake appears to be intact. The OP should reveal if this will be good enough. documents that HDCP is still in play.
"Certain Cable/FiOS Set top boxes and DVR boxes are limited to only 1 downstream HDCP (high-bandwidth digital-content protection) device that they can connect too. This means that devices like MyWirelessTV, A/V Receiver, or Google TV, HDMI repeaters/switches that are strictly adhering to the HDCP requirements cannot legally pass video to the display. "

Is this saying that HDMI is consumer unfriendly again?

Collapse -
As long as you want HDMI, you won't get what you want.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 4, 2013 2:38 AM PST
Collapse -
You know, Slingbox might actually work
by Pepe7 / March 4, 2013 4:03 AM PST

I had questions about the HDCP handshake, but it looks like, if reviews are mostly accurate, that some folks have been able to sling content and avoid (at least some) HDCP errors by simply leaving the primary HDTV device turned on (presumably, this maintains the handshake parameters somehow.)

I read a little on this in the slingbox forum, and also in the slingplayer app for iOS review here:

This makes me think the two big challenges to getting this working are as follows:

-HDCP error avoidance with multiple devices wanting to receive a signal
-Using Slingbox over the local network vs over the internet, which the OP seems to want to avoid in his camper

The OP would have to have an HDTV in this mix somewhere already to test it out IMO, and the sat box would need to also have either component RGB or standard RCA video outputs in addition to HDMI. I would also read through the following review for more ideas/thoughts regarding limitations of HDMI/HDCP using Slingbox:

(And a wireless router would also be required, but would not have to be connected to the internet.)

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.