Linux forum

General discussion

I am IMPRESSED.

by ahtoi / February 7, 2009 1:27 AM PST

I just downloaded PClinuxOS 2009 beta3 and surf with live-cd. Looks very nice and very responsive which I wouldn't expect from live-cd. Great job!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am IMPRESSED.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am IMPRESSED.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Oooooh!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 7, 2009 3:31 AM PST
In reply to: I am IMPRESSED.

That version was great back then. It will be nice to see them issue an update. Thanks for the heads up.
Bob

Collapse -
You know I have always been partial to SUSE, but...
by ahtoi / February 7, 2009 10:18 AM PST
In reply to: Oooooh!

I think I'll install this one in one of my computer and see how it'll go.

Collapse -
:)
by FrankQC / February 7, 2009 1:23 PM PST

Linux is great all around. I'm actually on a live-USB linux right now.. typing this.

I'm using Debian Live. It works pretty good.

The sad thing about live distributions is that you lose everything that you change.. unless you enable persistent (which I don't know how to do.. tried and failed :P)

I just created two partitions in my USB. One is where all the boot files are and the other one loads after the OS is booted. If I change anything (like files, etc), I just transfer them to the storage partition so it's always accessible.

Welcome to the world of Linux Silly

Collapse -
Persistent? I have never heard of that.
by ahtoi / February 7, 2009 6:00 PM PST
In reply to: :)

That sounds interesting.

Collapse -
Yeah
by FrankQC / February 8, 2009 1:37 AM PST

You can configure that in default in the Knoppix distribution.

What it does is it saves the changes as a .img file. When you boot it asks if you want to overwrite your Knoppix with the .img file (containing the changes). Knoppix Linux and Puppy Linux are the only distributions that I know comes in standard default (of course you need to set it up in the options).

With other distributions you need to install grub and change menu.lst and other files... which is very confusing. I've tried it and failed haha.

Here's how to do it via Debian Live:

http://wiki.debian.org/DebianLive/Howto/Custom_Install

Collapse -
PCLinuxOS Beta 3?
by flaminghotsauce / February 8, 2009 8:02 AM PST

Do you mean Test Release 6? TR6 just came out a couple of days ago. I have downloaded and burned the .iso to CD. Tried it on a couple of machines so far.

The ONLY problem so far is some sound issue. I haven't tried to fix it yet, so I can't comment further on that, but overall, PCLinuxOS 2009 looks to be FABULOUS when it's finally released.

Collapse -
(NT) No, it's the latest develpment release (02/07/2009)
by ahtoi / February 8, 2009 3:06 PM PST
In reply to: PCLinuxOS Beta 3?
Collapse -
Try openSUSE :)
by jtrag / February 17, 2009 3:22 AM PST

You should try openSUSE Linux 11.1 from http://www.opensuse.org

Hands down, my favorite, and in my opinion, the best "all round" Linux Distro Happy

It's good for beginners and experts alike Happy

Check it out.

Collapse -
Question
by FrankQC / February 17, 2009 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Try openSUSE :)

When comparing Ubuntu and openSUSE, why should one switch? What are the very important changes?

Collapse -
Mmm... Not bad.
by FrankQC / February 17, 2009 4:09 AM PST
In reply to: openSUSE 11 vs Ubuntu

Yea . I really like the openSUSE install manager. The GUI is nice.

The thing is I'm used with Debian-based distribution and learning new commands and file locations (if they even exist in both distros).

If I ever want to give an RPM distro I'll be sure to try that one. Or Fedora. Either-or.

Collapse -
(NT) You wouldn't get any argument from me, hehe.
by ahtoi / February 17, 2009 4:40 AM PST
In reply to: Try openSUSE :)
Collapse -
PCLinuxOS is a good one
by masinick / February 18, 2009 6:56 AM PST

Yes, PCLinuxOS consistently has a very nice implementation, very easy to install and equally easy to use.

The last FULL version of PCLinuxOS, unfortunately, is a bit dated, going back to Spring 2007. The latest version is undergoing testing, and hopefully a new version will be available soon.

Also unfortunately, the test versions, such as this TR6 (Beta 3) version, are not upgradable to the final released version.

The PCLinuxOS project does have a smaller version called MiniME, which you can update and keep current. The potential issue with that is that it is a minimal system, and may not include everything you want; you may have to download additional software (not that difficult, but it does take extra work).

If you are impressed with PCLinuxOS and you like to experiment, you may also want to take a look at two MEPIS projects. AntiX M8.0, a leaner implementation of MEPIS, has already been released. It can run as a Live CD and it can be installed on a USB stick or onto your hard drive, or you can just run it live. You will be impressed because even from the Live CD, you can set up wireless connections, something that most systems require installation to hard disk, then some firmware downloads, to accomplish.

A fuller version, not quite final, but close, is SimplyMEPIS 7.9.96, also known as SimplyMEPIS 8.0 Release Candidate 3. This one is closer to final form than PCLinuxOS TR6, so if you liked TR6, you may love SimplyMEPIS.

These two projects release some of the best software out there.

Another pretty good project is the Linux Mint project.

Mint, PCLinuxOS, and MEPIS get my nod as the three easiest distributions for the newcomer to Linux software.

Others, such as openSUSE, Mandriva, Fedora, and countless others, have fine software, but I contend that they frequently have small issues (to some of us) that can be big issues, even show stoppers for the first time user, so I would wait to try these until you have gained some experience.

Some people never leave the likes of PCLinuxOS, MEPIS, and Mint, because they do pretty much what you need to do, and they can grow with you.

Collapse -
nt
by flaminghotsauce / February 18, 2009 8:55 AM PST

+1

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.