Windows 8

Question

I am having a problem installing Windows 8 Pro over Windows

by starsman / January 25, 2013 11:28 AM PST

I am having a problem installing Windows 8 Pro over Windows 8 Professional. My system is 64bit, I have a Intel Core to Duo processor. My M/B is an Intel DP965LT on a system I purchased in 2006. The install goes through the entire process until the very end. At that I get a getting ready message so I feel everything is ok. But then the monitor shuts down for about 5 minutes. When it comes back, I get the message that the install was "unsuccessful" that Win7 O?S was being restored. (That was successful by the way.) There were no diagnostics or messages of any kind, so I am left in the dark on what went wrong, or what caused the problem. By the way, I did a clean install on another drive (no upgrade) with no problems. So I guess if I want to lose my WIN 7 settings and have to reinstall everything else, can go that route but I rather do the upgrade if that is possible (Microsoft said it is). So any help I can get would be appreciated

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am having a problem installing Windows 8 Pro over Windows
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am having a problem installing Windows 8 Pro over Windows
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Correction on message by Starsmann prevously sent
by starsman / January 25, 2013 2:52 PM PST

I am having a problem installing Windows 8 Pro over Windows 7 Professional. My system is 64bit, I have a Intel Core to Duo processor, and Nvidia GT520. My M/B is an Intel DP965LT on a system I purchased in 2006. The install goes through the entire process until the very end. At that I get a getting ready message so I feel everything is ok. But then the monitor shuts down for about 5 minutes. When it comes back, I get the message that the install was "unsuccessful" that Win7 O?S was being restored. (That was successful by the way.) There were no diagnostics or messages of any kind, so I am left in the dark on what went wrong, or what caused the problem. By the way, I did a clean install on another drive (no upgrade) with no problems. So I guess if I want to lose my WIN 7 settings and have to reinstall everything else, can go that route but I rather do the upgrade if that is possible (Microsoft said it is). So any help I can get would be appreciated

Collapse -
Ahh, not "over" but "upgrade"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 1:36 AM PST

You may have to try what others have before. Uninstall all SECURITY and Firewall APPS. These often block upgrades.

I know this fails the goal of keeping all your apps but it's a common problem along with enough disk space, etc.
Bob

Collapse -
Windows 8 upgrade
by starsman / January 26, 2013 11:27 AM PST

I did uninstall the NOD 32 Antivirus and turned off the WIN 7 firewall. Is there something I forgot??

Collapse -
There are other apps that can cause issues.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 26, 2013 12:29 PM PST
In reply to: Windows 8 upgrade

There's not enough detail here for me to guess you have some other app such as a malware detection or the browser not IE or there is a virus/trojan/rootkit.

If the upgrade fails, get your money back and wait till MSFT releases that service patch you read in the news.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
One of the oddities of the new licensing?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 1:59 PM PST

You should ask MSFT but the current version for retail is an OEM version which if it was before was for a clean install. I think you are trying to upgrade 7 but that's not what you wrote.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.