Computer Help

General discussion

I am being SPIED ON and I dont know how to stop it. Pls help

by bbmagdalene / February 19, 2014 11:08 AM PST

hey my laptop is being spied on for a year now , I lost all my privacy in my home, I cover the webcam but they still can hear me its very uncomfortable, I went to the police but there is nothing I can do since I have no enough solid proofs. I already formatted my computer but they still have acess somehow. I know that bcs they send me messages all the time from fake fb profiles with comments and jokes. I dont know exacly how it was made for it might have been someone actually using my computer wihtout me watching it or me clicking a link. I'd be more satisfeid to b alble to make a complaint ,

but if you know how to just protect myself please let me know,

this is a serious issue I just want to be left alone and know that I am alone in my house with my family like I should be. THANK YOU

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: I am being SPIED ON and I dont know how to stop it. Pls help
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: I am being SPIED ON and I dont know how to stop it. Pls help
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
So are you ready to move to a better secure OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2014 1:24 PM PST

Time for Linux in my opinion.
Bob

Collapse -
can i do that for free?
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 2:09 AM PST

i do use a wireless that is all over the country but this started before, when i used a USB pen for internet of my own. can i change to Linux without spending money?
that will make them loose track of my computer for sure? can i change my IP? sorry i dnt rly know that much abt computers. it may sound crazy but i rly need to get this solved. i know who is doing this and of the guys was in my house (my friend ) and used of my laptops, he must have done smt, and other time i also remember clicking a link, on my other laptop, that they sent me on fb, looked like a weird game . this was ofc before they let me know abt this. thank u a lot.

Collapse -
I don't know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 3:28 AM PST

While Linux has dozens of free versions the fact you asked the question makes me think there are factors beyond the OS. So almost all Linux versions are free.

What is going to cost here?
Bob

Collapse -
ok
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 4:19 AM PST
In reply to: I don't know.

i just never did that before (change the OS) guess im dumb abt computers but thx. im not sure what u ment by "factors beyond the OS" eighter

and can i change my IP or thats a stupid question? thx

Collapse -
About change the IP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 4:57 AM PST
In reply to: ok

That's like changing the numbers on your mailbox and then wondering why no more mail. No. There are folk that will sell you IP changers but let's hope no one falls for the scams.

As to change the OS, here you are and you want more security. Linux has been around for a very long time. Read my advice from over a decade ago at http://tips.oncomputers.info/archives2004/0401/2004-Jan-11.htm

Remember it's gotten better over time.
Bob

Collapse -
ok thx
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 5:03 AM PST
In reply to: About change the IP

thanks i will change then. not rly sure how to do it but ill figure.

Collapse -
oh and
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 5:08 AM PST
In reply to: About change the IP

one of my computers if an ASUS notebook or netbook, those small ones, does that make a difference on installing linux? thx 4 the attention bye

Collapse -
Why install Linux?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 5:12 AM PST
In reply to: oh and
Collapse -
--
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 5:19 AM PST
In reply to: Why install Linux?

ok i have to read that later with more time. so i can put it in a USB pen of mine? and when i put that pen on the computer it is safe? what abt when i dnt connect the USB? it will be windows? dnt rly get it thats weird to me guess ill have to read that link of yours better. see u later thank u

Collapse -
Safety is still something we control.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 5:24 AM PST
In reply to: --

For example we have yet to talk about online safety. For example if you are concerned about privacy and such you would not be using FaceBook much. And you would turn off all sharing and more.

I've found folk that scream about spying yet all I needed to upset them was right there in the wide open on their facebook!

We can take care of an insecure OS but if you don't guard your actions on the internet, then it won't matter.
Bob

Collapse -
but like
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 6:12 AM PST

can they trough facebook get acess to my webcam and microfone? thats what concerns me, not anything else.
they send me comments about what they see/hear in my house, u see. thats why its such a problem and thats why i am very serious

Collapse -
That's called CreepWare.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 6:33 AM PST
In reply to: but like
Collapse -
tell me this before i, hopefuly, erase it fromy pc
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 6:44 PM PST

Isnt there rly a way i can get any kind of proof they r doing this so i can take it to public justice and do smt about it? Bcs they probably have footage of me that they shouldnt have, and maybe of my family too, and they ll still have it and THATs Really creepy. Thank u bob and take me serious for i could not be more serious abt it

Collapse -
Answer to quesion about take to justice.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 11:40 PM PST

That's in the news so I'll be short. Depends on where you'll invest your time.
Bob

Collapse -
"That's in the news so I'll be short. Depends on where ..."
by bbmagdalene / February 21, 2014 3:42 AM PST

sry what exacly do you mean? Im willing to take all the time i need to do it. can we talk by e mail? and ahm, maybe i should deal with this in another computer where they're not watching? Thank you.

Collapse -
Can't reply.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 21, 2014 4:04 AM PST

May be time to start a discussion on Creepware.

Collapse -
control
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 6:16 AM PST

yea id have controlled it if i had ever guessed that my friend who came to my house would put smt in my computer to b able to spy on me and do this, but i would never guessed that i had never though about that kind of thing ever, now i cover my webcams and hide my computers in the closet when i want to be confortable, i would never think abt that when i looked into a laptop.

Collapse -
Is English your second language?
by bigjohnl / February 21, 2014 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: ok

Hard to help you when I don't know what you are trying to say.

Collapse -
yea it is
by bbmagdalene / February 21, 2014 11:09 PM PST

im being creepwared i guess

Collapse -
Spy?
by pgc3 / February 20, 2014 12:09 AM PST

As Bob Proffitt noted, if this is for real...go to Linux..But there are ways to secure the system to preclude issues that you might...be having..some involve software installations, not free, that incorporate anti keylog/keystroke, etc. Do some research, check your router security settings. If this is being done while running in wireless mode you should be able to determine, to a point, proximity of the hacker since wireless signal has a limited range.

Collapse -
i do not have any money for those.
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 1:58 AM PST
In reply to: Spy?

i do use a wireless that is all over the country but this started before, when i used a USB pen for internet of my own. can i change to Linux without spending money? thank u.

Collapse -
LINUX
by pgc3 / February 20, 2014 2:29 AM PST

Yes, Linux if a free open source operating system, do some research prior to doing it, there are several ways to go about it. Typically it would be used as a dual boot system. Many use it as dual boot for a myriad of reasons, one is security, it is however, quite different than Windows in functionality. I have personally used it for years as an alternate on several of my systems. It does take a bit of getting used to but those who avail themselves of it and become versed with the use of it are generally pleased. Again, it is a free download, it is also available on disk from such as Amazon, it is not expensive, should you decide to purchase the disk version.

Collapse -
Hook up
by pgc3 / February 20, 2014 2:38 AM PST

So how are you hooked up? It sounds as if you may be using someone else's service? Now I am a bit perplexed, wireless at large, air card, etc. is a totally different ballgame and that's when we get into heavy duty security software, not free but pretty effective. So, elucidate on HOW you are hooked up, this may tell the tale. You said USB pen(air card) for internet of my own...confusing...again, more information.

Collapse -
not sure how to say it in english sorry
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 4:29 AM PST
In reply to: Hook up

yeah like a USB pen that u buy, it was the brand of my cellphone line, u pay monthly for your internet, u know.

like this : http://inforzen.pt/products/212-banda-larga-movel-mobile-broadband-internet-kanguru-72mbps-optimus-kanguru-banda-larga-movel-barata-internet-barata-inforzen-zte-m192.aspx

i still use that and sometimes i use wireless, someone gave me his password, yea its a brand called FON ZON u can catch it almost everywhere and u just enter your e mail and password. payed ofc. must not be safe but i was already being spied on. if i install linux i can use that wireless and be safe, or not?

Collapse -
How odd.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2014 4:50 AM PST

You seem to be revealing you are using "his password" so that means that that access is not yours alone.

This tells me you that you are giving up your security for a price.
Bob

Collapse -
no
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 5:02 AM PST
In reply to: How odd.

no i'm using a friend's password, not the one who spies on me. like i said i was being spied before. so i might stop using the wireless but im still gonna be spied. also i understood they hear me when i shut the internet and the computer off .

whats so odd if i had already ppl spying why would i use that wireless for free. now if it will make me safe ill stop using it but what im saying is THATS NOT the reason
<div>
</div>

Collapse -
(NT) *why wouldnt I
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 5:05 AM PST
In reply to: no
Collapse -
Someone's hook up
by pgc3 / February 20, 2014 8:02 AM PST
In reply to: *why wouldnt I

It is NOT a good idea to use someone else's hook up UNLESS you have some pretty heavy A/V software in the system even then it is iffy, the same goes when using an air card or USB device at large. You are leaving yourself wide open when you do this without something to detect/block malware/spyware keyloggers/hackers. An unsecured network is just that. A secured network(if you run modem router hook up) is a must. There are A/V software suites on the market that can usually preclude such, one that comes to mind is Kaspersky Internet Security, it is not cheap, there are others with similar functionalities, none are free.

Collapse -
. .
by bbmagdalene / February 20, 2014 6:24 PM PST
In reply to: Someone's hook up

**** so, even with linux using my internet pen will unprotect myself from them?

Collapse -
Linux
by pgc3 / February 21, 2014 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: . .

Linux is MUCH safer than Windows, it is unlikely that you would/will have intrusions but anything is possible. I have had hackers try to get to me(at large) in public places on several occasions, airports, etc., my Kaspersky has kicked them EVERY time. That is Windows. I also run Linux as a dual boot OS and have never had anyone or anything try to hit me anywhere. Be advised however that Linux is NOT the same as Windows and it does take some getting used to, there are some limitations with regard to software and hardware peripheral use among other things, it requires a bit of study. Once you get the hang of Linux it is pretty slick but as I said, it takes a bit of study.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.