the industry is moving towards smaller screens. I just bought a 15.6" laptop and the 3 before that were 17.3", 20.1" and 18.4". I noticed that the 18.4" were being phased out in 2012. In 2011 Alienware, Acer, Asus and Toshiba all had 18.4" screen laptops. The last laptop I bought that was less than 17" was before the Intel Mobile processors came out around 2003. Another thing is I like the highest resolution possible and that was the reason I was disappointed with the HP I bought that was 17.3" but with the resolution of 1600 x 900. The 15.6" I just bought was one that wasn't a big dent in my wallet to learn and maybe develop Windows 8 apps. It has a resolution that of 1366 x 768 and that a little low for me.

Looking at the marketplace (pre-christmas) there was only one laptop company with touch and a screen above 14" and that was Acer. My Windows 7 laptop an Acer 18.4" with 1920 x 1080 resolution and it's perfect. I actually prefer Windows 8 now but I don't want to do an upgrade on my main laptop. It's hard to find a 1080P laptop from Acer anymore except for there Ultrabook as they have gone away from it and thier 17.3" laptops have a max resoltion of 1600 x 900. So the next machine I get will probably be an Asus as they still have nice 17.3 with 1920 x 1080 laptops.

Now if you are looking for a Windopws tablet the Acer V5 at Best buy is laptop not a tablet. Saying its a laptop not a tablet is because the keyboard doesn't fold over liek the new hybrids or covertibles. It had the Windows RT tables OS with the Desktop App cababilities of the Surface Pro. it has touchscreen and a backlit keyboard. Basically all the convertibles are WIndows 8 and the IPad and Android tablet have external keyboards

As far as what will be released is 2013 depends on how Windows 8 sales go.