Car Tech forum

General discussion

Hybrid conversion kit............?

by flanative27 / May 18, 2005 2:01 AM PDT

Is there a company that specializes in offering a kit or services to convert conventional vehicle into a hybrid? Seems as though if a kit were available, mechanically inclined folks would jump at the chance to purchase it. Just wondering.............

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hybrid conversion kit............?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hybrid conversion kit............?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hybrid Kit
by Ilya Shick / July 25, 2005 1:18 AM PDT
Collapse -
conversion kits
by mplop5 / July 10, 2006 12:59 PM PDT

I would definatley invest in a conversion kit. I love the idea and if everyone gets on board the world economic and ;olitics might change as well. Even if your not interested in that, the savings make sense.

Collapse -
Sounds like a scam to me
by Andy77e / June 10, 2007 3:03 PM PDT
In reply to: conversion kits

First, forget about "changing politics and world economics". You are not going to do that by buying a hybrid kit. Sorry but oil will be in use for years and years to come regardless of if everyone or no one buys a hybrid kit.

Back to the kit itself. I'm a little skeptical. Auto makers use a special engine computer, a special battery pack, and a large electric motor in order to achive a very mild increase in fuel mileage. The battery pack alone costs $3000.

Now you're telling me a $2800 add on kit, retrofitted to a car not designed for a hybrid system... is going to get me the same benefit? I think not. $3000 dollars ($2800 plus tax) can buy 1000 gallons of gas.

They claim a 30% increase in fuel economy. For me and my car, that means I'd have to own my car using this system, at least 7 years before I saved enough fuel to break even on the cost of the kit. How many own a used car 7 years? I say used because clearly modifying a new car would void the warranty and that would be foolish.

But I even question that. You notice on the web site it claims a *possible* 30% increase, but you can clearly see they post no real numbers to speak of. A 30% increase of what mileage? Did they get a mobile home that gets 6 mile per gallon, tack on their system and it got 7 MPG? That would be 30%, but 1 mile per gallon yippy skip.

My point is "POSSIBLE 30% increase in fuel economy" is a very meaningless phrase. Be careful of these scams. There are many companies that spring up during times of higher than normal gas prices and make big claims for products that provide very minor benefits.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more it sounds absurd. Think about it yourself. If that system actually increases fuel economy by 30% like it claims, that means you could buy a Honda Civic Non-hybrid, and covert it using their kit, and get better gas mileage than the Civic Hybrid right from Honda, and it would be cheaper than the Hybrid from Honda. This kit would make a laughstock of the entire industry! So either the whole entire industry is a huge joke, all of them made fools by a tiny little company that made a kit that's cheaper and gets better mileage than the car they made with the hundreds of thousands of dollars spent on R&D with the best engineers in the world... or the kit is a scam.

I'm betting scam. I'd like to hear from someone who's bought it and has some real numbers to share.

Collapse -
It says "up to 30%".
by BassBinDevil / October 12, 2007 3:33 PM PDT

It's an interesting concept, kind of the opposite of normal hybrids that crawl along on electric and kick the gas engine in for more power. This would allow running a smaller than normal gas engine, which should be more efficient, and you've got the electric boost for passing. If the electric motor is only used for brief boosts, it can be built with less cooling than you'd need for continuous high-power use. But, since the basic power source is still the infernal combustion engine, this wouldn't lend itself to conversion to full-time electric power.

If you want a hybrid conversion today, the best approach would be to salvage the drivetrains from a wrecked hybrid. I'll probably go that route with my truck eventually.

Collapse -
by tomlive / May 26, 2010 9:31 PM PDT
In reply to: conversion kits

that is true. if hybrid is used it might end up making much better roi in the end than the gas guzzlers. i purchased the 1963 chevy truck and the amount of gas it takes only points how much dependence we had on fossil fuels for last century.

Collapse -
Another company
by daveseff / May 1, 2007 1:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
College developing conversion kit
by morionnaga / June 4, 2007 6:14 AM PDT

The Oregon Institute of Technology located in Klamath Falls Oregon has students working on developing a hybrid conversion kit.

Collapse -
Hybrid conversion kits for existing vehicles
by hostage / September 23, 2007 7:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
These hybrid kits do work
by aznmod / November 15, 2008 9:04 PM PST

We may always use oil in some way, but decreasing the use of it starting with cars is a great way to reduce pollution. This is the first step to creating a clean air future. These kits will work for almost any car. It is up to the car owners to make the change. Electric conversion is not the only option. There are water (HHO) conversion kits too. Here's a website that talk about hybrid kits here:

Some efforts to a better future is better than no effort at all.

Collapse -
Looking for Hybrid Kit for 2008 LaCrosse, Buick.
by Vern Hauser / March 24, 2009 12:10 AM PDT

Just wondering if ever there will be a kit to convert a 2008 Buick LaCrosse to a Hybrid State of Being? Please keep me posted, I am definately interested. Thanks, Vern Hauser

Collapse -
Building A Diesel Electric Hybrid Conversion Kit
by GreenEnergyConversions / March 12, 2012 1:46 PM PDT

Hello all. I am currently looking for supporters and sponsors that are interested in assisting me develop my diesel electric hybrid conversion kit. I have all the designs developed, now it is just building a prototype. Here are some specifics of what I have.

Diesel engine is going to be a twin cylinder, water cooled, turbo charged, intercooled, 0.8L diesel engine. The engine already meets EPA Tier IV specs. Max rpm is 3600. The engine is further enhanced by several scientific technologies (like engine coatings, ect...). Looking at 50 miles per gallon minimum fuel efficiency. Other technology is being created to increase this above 60 miles per gallon.

Generator will be 12kw to 15kw and will produce all power required to cruise a vehicle at 90 MPH at rated fuel efficiency.

Using a permanent magnet motor drive assembly with an IVT (already in negotiations with company for rights). Total electric motor power will be 40KW. We are going to integrate the gear train into the electric motor for an IVT gear motor, though this is in the advanced stages of the kit.

Battery pack is small, 4KWH, and only used for acceleration of the vehicle. Regen breaking captures braking energy.

I hope this interests some of you and that you might become a contributor and/or sponsor to my project and cause. You can view my website,, for more information or to contact me directly, via email or phone. If you can't contribute money, then please tell your friends and family about it via facebook or twitter. All donations come with rewards, such as parts listing, coupons for future kits, official sponsorships, ecetera.

Thank you in advance.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.