Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Hurricane Sandy - broadband wireless/tethering to LAN?

by notShai / November 2, 2012 12:39 AM PDT

my company's Verizon T1s and DSl backups are all down b/c Sandy knocked everything down in the area.

we have a Verizon data usb dongle, we installed it on a Windows Server 2003 and tried to connect, we got nothing.

next we tried to install it on a windows 7 laptop, that works, BUT when we connect to the LAN via a cable to share that data connection the Verizon data connection got disconnected.

we tested the scenario with a tethered android phone, again the PC gets a connection, but when we plug to the lan it drops.

the lan nic settings are:
ip-172.16.1.50
nm-255.255.248.0
gw-172.16.1.50 (we pointed it to itself, but the regular setup also didnt work)
dns-172.16.1.50 (we pointed it to itself, but the regular setup also didnt work)

when adding the verizon data usb dongle or tethered phone a 2nd connection is created along with the exisiting LAN nic connection.

how do we get these to work and share them with other pc's on the network?

[we covered the basics:
"server" =verizon data connected pc with above ip
"clinet" = lan nic with a diff ip, same nm, gw/dns pointing to server above, enabled connection sharing, nada]

we also downloaded and installed freeproxy 4.1 and upon that the Verizon data connecting disconnected too, till we uninstalled the free proxy.

help Happy

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hurricane Sandy - broadband wireless/tethering to LAN?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hurricane Sandy - broadband wireless/tethering to LAN?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I've used 2 such in a pinch.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2012 12:48 AM PDT

Remember the connections do drop with regularity. That's not a bug. I won't discuss it since it's been done so many times.

With that aside I've used such dongles on Windows 7 and the http://virtualrouter.codeplex.com/ as well as those routers that you plug the dongle into.

HOWEVER as more folk leaned harder on cellular networks, you see the results.
Bob

Collapse -
nature of post
by notShai / November 2, 2012 1:05 AM PDT

hi Bob,

i dont think i explained the nature of my problem clearly enough...

i dont have data drop issues because of bad service, i am trying to understand the network issues relating to using a mobile data device along with a private LAN and the network settings associated.

Collapse -
I can share the setups I've used.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 2, 2012 1:17 AM PDT
In reply to: nature of post

But I can't fit a long tutorial in this small space such as everything there is to know about network issues. That sort of stuff is in books and classes.

At the office we have a bunch of folk that use a variety of ad hoc (not to be confused with WiFi AD HOC) internet access methods so I can share those but can't extend this into what we would cover in a networking class or book.

Hopefully one of the solutions works but I find some folk that get fixated on one or another ad hoc setup and won't try others or they can't.

--> There is some thought that the carriers could be dropping if they detect sharing. The solutions I noted should be difficult to detect such.
Bob

Collapse -
dual homed machine
by bill012 / November 2, 2012 5:21 AM PDT
In reply to: nature of post

Running 2 nic cards in widows is a pain.

First thing to look at is the output from the ROUTE PRINT cmd.

You want to only see a single entry for 0.0.0.0

I am going to suspect you will have to set the gateway on you lan card to blank. I would also set the DNS to blank. If you have multiple subnets other than just the one you listed you will need to add ROUTE commands manually for each network and point it to the proper gateway

This should allow that one device to access both networks.

I am not familar with freeproxy but if your users set their proxy to the lan address of this machine it should work. You other option is to use ICS and have the users set this machine as their default route. ICS tends to be flaky sometimes.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.