TVs & Home Theaters forum

Resolved Question

Hulu, Netflix, etc. content and cost vs cable

by MomTv / May 13, 2013 4:36 AM PDT

I am considering getting rid of my cable subscription. I currently have a blu-ray player that gives me access to the internet, I really haven't used it much and am not sure what content is available, what is free and what costs extra. And for those services that cost, what ball park costs are there?

MomTv has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hulu, Netflix, etc. content and cost vs cable
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hulu, Netflix, etc. content and cost vs cable
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
There is no 'ballpark'
by Pepe7 / May 14, 2013 12:50 AM PDT

Once you start adding up the various services and tiers for each one (in some cases), it can vary. It will obviously be a lot less than your cable TV service if you have the bells/whistles and not basic cable.

Best method is to visit each services' web site and write down prices on a piece of paper for a comparison to your cable bill.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by MomTv

Collapse -
Netflix and OTA
by sunwatcher / May 13, 2013 10:31 AM PDT

My only experience is with Netflix. I pay about US$20 a month for streaming and disc rental. Content is TV shows that are behind one or two seasons, a fair variety of TV shows and many movies. The latest movies released on disc are usually hit and miss for streaming, but that's not a problem with me.

With just about all of the latest HDTVs and depending on where you live, you may be able to pick up local stations (NBC, ABC, CBS, Fox, etc.) by just adding an inexpensive antenna. Free.

Collapse -
I agree 100%.
by Oldartq / May 13, 2013 11:19 AM PDT
In reply to: Netflix and OTA

That's exactly what happen to me also.

Collapse -
Well there is no on that player.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 13, 2013 9:32 AM PDT

Hulu Plus maybe but some folk get uppity that and what you can get on a PC is not on any BD player (or other devices than a PC.)

Cost? It varies with country. And you should know how much Netflix is in your country.

Collapse -
Netflix recording
by veleriya / June 12, 2013 5:30 PM PDT

There is a way you can record/download Netflix movies and save them to your computer and it's quite easy to do it too. I don't know if you've heard of it (you probably didn't though), it's called Audials and it's a pretty cool recording software. You can capture/record Netflix streaming movies and tv shows with it. I've been using it for some time for Netflix and other similar video streaming websites too, and it works great. Plus, you get to convert the videos to any format you want, burn dvds, download music and videos, record internet radios and so on.

There is also a tutorial on how you can record Netflix streaming movies, if you want to take a look, just to make an idea about how the software works:

Well good luck and hope it helps! And don't forget to only use those videos for your personal use only!

Collapse -
FYI re: "for personal use only"
by Pepe7 / June 13, 2013 3:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Netflix recording

Keep in mind that is (unfortunately) still breaking copyright law. Netflix terms (obviously) do not permit this.

The software you recommended is good though, I have tested it out in a different application, and it worked like a charm.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.