The CNET Lounge

General discussion

Hulu.com Going Public - Wednesday!

by TheBluePointe / March 10, 2008 5:45 PM PDT
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hulu.com Going Public - Wednesday!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hulu.com Going Public - Wednesday!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
hu what?
by mementh / March 11, 2008 7:04 AM PDT

sorry but i never understood a site being usefull where i can't download to any portable player and watch.

i just can't get it (on my portable player)

Collapse -
The demand must be out there!
by PortVista-190953130350169 / March 12, 2008 3:06 AM PDT
In reply to: hu what?

Ya I did not know there was such a demand for a new service to let you watch TV inside a web browser, sitting alone at your computer, and at much lower resolution and sound quality.

Collapse -
WiFi
by Renegade Knight / March 26, 2008 4:41 AM PDT
In reply to: hu what?

If you had an Archos or web enabled PVP it should work...

The resultion may actually be better suited for a portable than a high def monitor.

Collapse -
Coming up WAAAAY short Hulu! I'll still be using bit torrent
by PortVista-190953130350169 / March 12, 2008 2:33 AM PDT

So I went to buy an episode of Saturday Night Live. It's $1.99. I'm given 3 download options listed below. It doesn't say what codec it uses or anything, so I don't know if I can burn it to DVD will it play on my DivX player? Is there in fact DRM? I'm sorry, but it seems like we're going backwards here. This episode of Saturday Night Live was WIDESCREEN, 720p, probably 5.1 surround, but we're expected to be happy with standard aspect, low res, unknown compression or codec, and ONLY stereo????

File Size 407.4 MB
Bitrate 2500 kbps
Aspect Ratio 1.33:1
Audio Channels 2

File Size 453.5 MB
Bitrate 2800 kbps
Audio Channels 2
Ready to watch in about 10 minutes on TiVoHD and TiVo Series3 boxes with progressive download

File Size 104.1 MB
Bitrate 600 kbps
Audio Channels 2

Collapse -
Please check your facts before you actually post
by OscarWeb / March 12, 2008 3:24 PM PDT

I think that you are confusing Hulu with Amazon UnBox. You cannot buy episodes on Hulu, and it doesn't even have full episodes of SNL available (yet). Nor does it work on the TiVo box, as UnBox does.

Collapse -
Hulu a marketing arm for Amazon UnBox?
by PortVista-190953130350169 / March 12, 2008 10:38 PM PDT

There are all kinds of "buy this episode" links ON Hulu. Sure it takes you to Amazon, but the very same clip that was on Hulu is embedded on the Amazon page on the top left corner where the product image normally goes. I just assumed Hulu created the product and is selling it on Amazon.

So the question: is Hulu a marketing arm for Amazon UnBox? Or is Hulu making more money off pure ad revenue? There is probably some exchange of funds going on to get the show on Hulu which increases its TV ratings too.

Collapse -
hulu is free... they have to make money somehow
by robstak / March 13, 2008 2:49 AM PDT

so surely amazon is paying them. logical right?

Collapse -
Weird
by OscarWeb / March 13, 2008 10:49 AM PDT

I've been using Hulu (via the Web) for the past two days and have yet to see any ads for UnBox. Watched a few clips, one episode, and an entire movie, yet nothing of the sort.

Collapse -
subject here
by PortVista-190953130350169 / March 13, 2008 11:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Weird
Collapse -
Uhm...well actually
by ktreb / March 13, 2008 10:56 AM PDT

Hulu is owned by NBC Universal and News Corp. It was announced around the time NBC Universal said it was taking its stuff off of iTunes.

Collapse -
Neat
by Nicholas Buenk / March 13, 2008 1:12 AM PDT

Anyone have a proxy server that allows flash through.......
That site doesn't like my Australian IP for some reason. Sad

Collapse -
There is a way!
by danelewis / March 21, 2008 9:05 AM PDT
In reply to: Neat

Hey Neat,
Yes there is a way to access hulu videos from Australia (and other countries). Just download a free program called AnchorFree. It is a small piece of software which is made to hide you from other computers when using a wi-fi hotspot by changing your ip-address (or rather hiding behind a false one).

By using this software at home/work/wherever, it tricks hulu into thinking you are in the US. works great.

Collapse -
That actually works
by Nicholas Buenk / March 24, 2008 9:56 PM PDT
In reply to: There is a way!

Thanks, a free VPN service.

Collapse -
I suggest a VPN account
by reliablehosting.com / June 12, 2008 2:12 AM PDT
In reply to: Neat

You should try a VPN service like
http://www.strongvpn.com

It will allow you to have a American IP, and it's good security as well.

Collapse -
Hulu/iTunes Cocktail
by Dawgfanclark / March 13, 2008 7:12 AM PDT

I left a message on this but between Hulu and iTunes I am now going to experience LOST for the first time. I really enjoyed using Hulu last night & it was perfect for when my finace wants(ed) to feed her Rock Band addiction in my gaming room.

I watched 4 episodes last night and d/l'ed #5 for the iPhone to watch today... I CANNOT believe I never watched this show as a friggin' love it.

.. what, only like 78 to go right???

Collapse -
Hmm
by Nicholas Buenk / March 13, 2008 4:30 PM PDT
In reply to: Hulu/iTunes Cocktail

What's the sense in that, can watch it online for free, but have to pay to put on iPhone?

Collapse -
(NT) Only in US you say. Pity.
by Owyn / March 13, 2008 9:51 PM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.