Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

by cyannaca / June 18, 2006 12:03 AM PDT

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HUGHESNET
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HUGHESNET
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If they won't answer this question...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 18, 2006 12:42 AM PDT
In reply to: HUGHESNET

Imagine how bad their support is.

Unless you didn't ask them.

Collapse -
Don't sign with Hughesnet
by absalom000 / July 3, 2006 3:00 PM PDT

I am one of the victims of the roll over from Direcway to Hughesnet.
The service now is garbage.
They shut down completely sometime after 5pm. It is impossible to work in the evening or at night.
Bandwidth is restricted and satellite outages are the norm.
They only cater to people who use their computers from 9 to 5.
Downloading speeds run at about 0.03 kb/sec.
Hughesnet is a rip off.

Collapse -
Don't Do It!!!
by marine_cop / July 12, 2006 11:40 PM PDT

Hughes Network Systems is the worst possible ISP of all time. You are better off with Dial-Up. I got mixed up with Direcway 15 months ago. It was ok till I discovered the FAP (basically a download limit that restricts bandwidth to dial-up speeds after you have exceeded 169MB DL'ed). I stuck it out for the duration of the contract because if you try to get out of it they charge a small fortune.

I now have Inetrnet thru Alltel using the Kyocera Passport KPC650 EVDO data card. It is fast, reliable, and cheaper than Hughes. I am much happier with it. As I am writing this it is pouring down rain. With the satellite my connection would have totally dropped out by now. But not with the data card.

Stay away from Hughes. They suck!

Collapse -
Horrible experience with Hughesnet
by uuiea / June 22, 2007 12:24 PM PDT
In reply to: Don't Do It!!!

Please do not subscribe to Hughesnet. We have made an awful and expensive mistake. Service is horrible and reps are difficult to understand. Our dial up was faster and now kids use the dial up instead of the hughesnet. We are locked into an expensive contract with no way out and no one in family wants to use it. We have had no luck with customer service. Stay away!!

Collapse -
Do not subscribe to HughesNet!
by whiskfern / June 25, 2007 12:48 PM PDT

I subscribed to HughesNet because I cannot get DSL and was unhappy with local microwave provider. HughesNet service is SLOW. Latency makes it equivalent to what I had 5 years ago when I used dialup.
200mb/24hr download isn't enough for me--when I called today to upgrade to 300mb/24hr I was told that "the satellite wasn't configured for the upgrade in my area and to check back in 2 weeks", which makes no sense at all.
I have just wasted over $500 for something that's worse than what I had that I thought would be better.

Collapse -
Do not get hughesnet
by adsalyer / July 13, 2007 1:54 AM PDT

It is terrible. You get the same or less speeds that you get on dial up. You will not get more except your first month of service. After your first month of service, I never got above dial up speeds. I have called tech support at least 3 times and never got anywhere with them just wasted 3.5 hours of my time each call. You won't be able to cancel because they will charge you 300 bucks for cancelation. Every time there is a cloud in the sky you won't have internet service. Do yourself a favor - get a second dial up connection. You will get faster speeds, more dependable service, and it's much much cheaper.

Collapse -
Is Hughesnet really that bad?
by mk1cabrio / October 8, 2007 11:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Do not get hughesnet

Dont let the bad opinions scare you. Some people do not know what to expect from satellite internet. When its not what they expect it gets a bad rep.

I have had Hughes net for over 2 months now. I have personally never had a High speed provider whose speed actually matches what they advertise.... Yes it is slow at TIMES. The lowest speed I have ever experienced is 60K. Thats close to dialup, but in my area if you get 28.8K on dialup your lucky.

Is dialup better? NO... I can't believe what people will write when they're mad. DURING PEAK HOURS your speed will be LOWER. There is only a limited amount of bandwith. When you share and more people are sharing, everyone gets a smaller amount. How hard is that to understand. Cable has very similar problems. Its not affected as bad, but still has lower speeds during peak times.

My download speed ranges from 150K(fastest ive seen) to 24K(lowest ives seen). 24K is still way better than dialups 4k. I subscribe to the lowest package. Most of the time I range around 400K if I speed test it.

Why does everyone complain about the FAP or Fair Access Policy?? It's plainly stated and I was told about it up front. I have only come close to exceeding it once and it was because I was doing windows updates on several computers. Downloading is free between 3AM and 6AM. Unless you are streaming lots of live video or looking at (pictures) all the time, the average person will not exceed this. I know the FAP kinda stinks, but its actually making sure your speed is not slower. Some people like to hog bandwith and this insures that they will be limited.

I can't speak for their service, but honestly how many people have good experiences calling for service.

In 2 months I have only had one problem and it lasted for one day. If you have major cloud cover it will affect the signal. DUHHH

If you have any other means of High speed than satellite is not for you.

Collapse -
It really is
by PaulVin / March 9, 2008 12:40 AM PST

I imagine you're paying at least $60/month - and you say you max out at 150-400k, and that doesn't bother you? Well, if your only other option is a sub-24k dialup, you're saving yourself some heartache by not getting upset, but that doesn't mean you're getting your money's-worth from Hughesnet. If they were up-front, open, and specific about "typical expected speeds," it might be different, but they're not.

Also, if they were up-front and open with you about the daily download limits, I think that puts you in the minority. They certainly never mentioned it to us, and in our case, it made a real difference in how we use our service.

As for their customer service, yes, it's rare to get truly good service anywhere, but there are degrees of bad, and Hughesnet is way at the bottom.

As for cloud cover, you are right: with the smaller, 1-watt dishes, weather can affect reception, and customers should expect that. That issue can be remedied by getting the larger 2-watt dish and a "pro" plan. That's what we did, but it didn't fix our speed issues - and since we need reliable speed, and we need the connection for work, we do feel ripped-off, and that does make us say nasty things about Hughesnet. But in my case, at least, my goal in that is to make people realize that, as you say, if they have other options, Hughesnet is not for them.

Collapse -
YES! It is that bad
by Christine_b / July 29, 2008 11:32 PM PDT

You shouldn't have to read the fine print to keep from being ripped off. Hughesnet is the worst company I have ever had to deal with. They are the only Satellite provider in my area... and they are Dispicable! We cancelled our service with them a week after we got the dish installed, but they still managed to swindle us out of a few hundred dollars. They really need to be reported to the BBB. Do they actually provide a service or do they just swindle NEW customers (with cancellation and installation fees) on the promise that satellite is faster than dial up? They don?t seam to even care if you cancel their service. First, their monthly fee for what they provide is outrageous ($90.00 for a service that is only moderately better than dial up which costs only only a fraction of that). Secondly, the whole company is completely outsourced and made up independent contractors so there is no communication and the customer service is EXTREMELY poor. For example, not only did no one mention anything about the 200 MB per day download limitations or the repercussions of download detention when you exceede that limit, but when we called for tech support because our internet had stopped working, we were of course put on the line with someone in India or Pakistan who simply told us we ?downloaded too much? and we were basically being punished and put on internet-restriction. So after not having internet for two days because we were in ?time out? for using too much internet we decided to cancel. So we got to call yet another outsourced employee who was lucky enough to work from home as she took HugheNet trouble calls, so while she was obviously running a daycare out of her home we were put on hold several times while she tended to the screaming kids in the background. We were told that if we wanted to cancel, we would have to pay the installation fee ($200.00), and that the installation fee that we had already paid (almost $200.00) to the independent contractor who actually came out and did the installation, didn?t count! So basically, we are out $400... and back on dial up. What a RIP OFF, HugheNet Sucks.

Collapse -
by colinhenry / June 30, 2009 6:27 AM PDT
In reply to: YES! It is that bad

Is it really that bad? Absolutely not. It's even worse than you're worst nightmare.
I think Hughesnet is a company who hired a bunch of lawyers to find a way to legal theft, a bunch of subcontractors to act as installation dealers who hire the unemployable as "professional installers" & before you know it you are out over $500 for 8 days/15 minutes a day of service.

Collapse -
Customer for more than 5 years
by kilterdude / August 5, 2008 12:53 PM PDT

I have been a customer for more than 5 years (started in late '01). I was originally with Direcway. I knew that the speeds weren't the fastest, but they ran fast enough for me. With Direcway we had an average 100k + down. When the transition to hughesnet happened my download went from 100k to 56k at best. Hughesnet is a joke, they don't respond to customer complaints, and they don't even have a proper customer service. Right now I'm on a neighbor's wifi because I can't get online. They are over 500 feet away and I'm getting faster speeds than I would on Hughesnet.

Collapse -
Is Hughesnet really that bad? YES it is.
by csholland49 / August 28, 2008 5:43 AM PDT

It's not just an opinion, it's a fact. I have pictures of the crappy job they call an install. What is worse is everytime it rains, the service quits. Mind you, this isn't because of the rain, the rain can be gone for hours. The equipment (that is designed to be outside) has to dry out after it gets wet before it will work again. This time it has been 3 days of no internet, but they will be willing to send a repair person out for $125. to fix it. Gee, seems to me we just had to pay out $199 in February when it was first installed. For what ever reason the installer was unable install it on the roof of our ranch style home, this $199 was the cost of pipe he put in the middle of the yard!!!!! Don't give me the crap about needing a clear southern sky, we have had DishNetwork since 1999, and never have had a problem. It is just an example of the quality of service, the quality of work and the type of support you will get from Hughesnet.

Collapse -
by hugh Nemets / July 19, 2008 4:25 AM PDT

If you are considering Hughesnet-DONT. You will be more successful with smoke signals! They are the worst. Dialup is much better with no headaches!

Collapse -
Get Wireless!
by Evil Lincoln / August 5, 2008 6:32 AM PDT

I've waited a long time to say this, but I'M FINALLY LEAVING HUGHESNET! You can get Verizon wireless internet for the same price, but you get 100x the reliability. The wireless signal does not change due to weather, like a satellite signal does. Also, equipment is $0 (there is a $35 one time activation fee, but the usb modem is free), compared to the 4 or $500 Hughesnet setup. There is no big dumb looking dish in your satellite to aim at. No cables to bury, no ground wires to fiddle with, no modem taking up room on your desk, no ******** registry tweaks that don't do any good, no Web accelerator errors...and secure pages load as fast as any other page! Also, the speeds are consistently around 700k (and higher) and the uploads are 500-800k! Now, there is a 5GB monthly limit, and that's roughly what Hughesnet offers...but there's a difference there, too! You can download 4GB in a day and not get punished for it. If you exceed 5GB/month they charge you $.25/MB overage..that's the bad part! Still, you get the same bandwidth as Hughes but there's no stupid *** 180MB/day limit on it (meaning you can now upgrade Windows without exceeding any ******** Nazi FAP). And, I can take my laptop anywhere in the nation and GET A SIGNAL, without having a $10,000 setup on top of an RV to do it!!!! This is not WiFi, it's cellular internet and it's far, far more reliable than Hughes will ever be. My HughesNet gear is going on ebay asap, and I'm taking my sawsall and chopping the dish pole down. Boo-Yah ********!

Collapse -
HughesNet is a huge improvement
by liv3ordie / October 5, 2008 10:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Get Wireless!

I'm surprised at all the complaining about Hughes. We always have a 1000 kbps connection and compared to our old dialup it's heaven! Yes, in very heavy rain it does slow down but that's very rare. We've had it for 5 months and have been very happy. Yes, the FAP of 200 MB/day is annoying but I download my Mac updates on a flash drive at work so that's okay. And other ISP's are starting to do this as well, even Time-Warner. If you want though, they have unlimited bandwith in the wee hours. And yes it is $60/month but to me it's worth it because we have no other options out in the country!

I say if you have no other choice, it's well worth it and not nearly as bad as it's made out to be!

Collapse -
No, Hughesnet REALLY does SUCK
by dave_in_PA / November 20, 2008 6:29 PM PST

Let me put it to you this way...

My 12 year old daughter likes to watch YouTube videos. We've made the "rule" that she can only watch two each night, because if she watches more, it triggers the FAP ("fair access policy") and we basically have no internet access for the next 24 hours once it is triggered.

Hows that for $60 per month?!?

We're going with Verizon as soon as our 2 year contract is up in June 09... That is... unless of course they go out of business first...

Collapse -
TRUE: HughesNet Much Better in the past 2 years
by anak71 / December 22, 2008 7:25 AM PST

I agree, Satellite Internet provider HughesNet has come a long way since these post started, mainly to complain about HughesNet. Though there are still limitations and HighesNet is by far not perfect, but for rural residence, trust me, it beats dial-up, do your reasearch, these post are a bit out of date for information;

Collapse -
True: Hughesnet much better in the past 2 years--NOT EXACTLY
by chuckrunyan / January 26, 2009 11:09 AM PST

I have been a hughesnet subscriber for about 7 months. I picked the business plan with "up to 2Mbps" because I thought I would have fast enough access when the "2 Mbps" was adjusted to real world speeds. Note that this is the $200 a month service.

As a new customer the speed was acceptable, but for the past several months it has really suffered. But only for relatively short periods of time. Since early December 2008, I have been getting download speeds of around 50 Kbps during the important parts of the day. The speed goes up to around 1500 Kbps during the early morning.

Unfortunately, I don't want to run my business from midnight to 8 AM.

I finally called a week ago. It took them two days to figure ouT that I wasn't lying about the slow download speeds and send me to what they call Tier 4 support. These big guns have had the problem for at least four days and have NO idea what the speed problem is.

So I don't think they have improved much. They have oversubscribed their service, but are not interested in shrinking that pool.

As for beating dial-up, I haven't used dial-up services for some time, at least several years. But back then I was getting speeds at least as good as what I experience most of the day. I don't use dial-up now because the phone lines don't come out this far.

But the question isn't whether the service beats dial up. The question is does HughesNet mislead potential customers. Yes, they lead them to believe that they will receive some meaningful portion of the advertised speeds. The fact that they can deliver those speeds during the middle of the night is not enough to overcome this.

I post this mainly to respond to the previous post that things had changed and that the complaints were old. The problems are on-going.

I will post the resolution to this problem, if there ever is one.

Collapse -
True: Hughesnet much better in the past 2 years--NOT EXACTLY
by chuckrunyan / March 30, 2009 2:02 AM PDT

The situation I discussed has been resolved. They switched me to a different satellite.

I think the key, at least in my case, is to contact the subcontractor that installed your system for Hugesnet. At least mine told me from now on not to call tech support, but call him.

He knows what to say to them to get things fixed.

Collapse -
by colinhenry / June 30, 2009 6:41 AM PDT

My installer told me not to contact tech support also. He could fix the problems he created a lot cheaper than Hughesnet would charge me. Sounds like he has a little business going on the side so if anyone,including Hughesnet, wants his cell phone number it's available.

Collapse -
Who are you kidding?
by MRAllee / April 13, 2009 5:51 AM PDT

I've had less than 2 months and I am SOOOO ready to go back to dialup! Do my research?! I wish I had done a little more research! And, check the date - this post is NOT out of date. regularly loses connection to my server! Not just once in a while - but, once every few minutes. When I'm trying to update my webpages in remote view - I can't even CONNECT! I've tried to update the pages in local view and then up-put them - that doesn't work - due to disconnection with server, etc., etc. I wouldn't recommend to my worst enemy! Fortunately for, they strung my MULTIPLE requests for service help out past my 30 days - so now I'm stuck with them. When my contract is up - will be gone. I have NEVER been so disgusted with a product - it's service - and everything else involved with this company. My next complaint will be to my STATE ATTORNEY's office - which is what I recommend everyone do!

Collapse -
Still the worst company in any industry
by jimcollum / November 1, 2009 4:29 PM PST

Actually had their customer service person tell me on the phone that they are told to ignore customer complaints. They know that if a customer had another option, they'd take it.. so there is no motivation to put any effort into support/service. She was embarrassed to be working there.. they're told to get the customer so upset that they hang up.

We dropped them and finally went with Verizon broadband.

What Hughes net does borders on criminal

Collapse -
No, Hughesnet is still horrible in January of 2010
by Bozzlite / January 15, 2010 10:11 PM PST

We subscribed to the Hugesnet basic home plan on October 28 of 2008. Cost: 59.99 plus 10.00 for equipment rental plus tax. I opted for paper billing because I did not want these people to have free access to my credit card. Another 5.00 a month for "Invoice charge". Total 76.67 per month.

Installation was perfect and on time. The equipment looked heavy duty and Mil Spec. The service worked good for the first year as long as we didn't try to watch Netflix on line, or more than a couple Youtube videos in a day. Then in October of 2009, almost one year to the day, we started getting Local Area Net Disconnected in the little tray icon on the task bar. One or two a day for a few seconds at a time. Then it started escalating, happening more often, until about the middle of November when the disconnect was every few seconds. Tech support was no help. They just had me keep repeating the Web Response test until the system came back up. "There sir, it's fixed". Goodbye. Ten minutes later it was broke again. Or they would have us do silly inane things, like swap the ends of the ethernet cable. Anything just to stall long enough for it to start working on its own. Then it was "There, it's fixed. Is there anything else I can help you with today?" Thank you Goodbye. After 5 or 6 calls to Tech support, all with the same result, I gave up. Frustrated! Then I got a flyer in my Century Link phone bill. DSL is finally available in my area. Hoo Ray. For 19.95 a month! 1.5mbps!
I called Hughesnet and cancelled my account immediately. Knowing fully that it would cost me a 400.00 early termination fee. Didn't care. It would cost me 789.00 to keep the service until my 2 year contract was up.

Happy to get those people out of my life forever. Or so I thought. Received an Email from them telling me I would have to return the leased equipment within 20 days or pay for it. The HN9000 modem, power cord, and the radio transmitter on the roof. Removal, packing, and shipping would be at my own expense. I received what I thought was the final bill in the mail. $475.96. Fine! I paid it, gladly. Just get out of my life! I packed up their stuff and sent it via UPS, insured for 700.00 of course. Another $25.90. No doubt they will say they never got it, or it arrived damaged. I'm still crossing my fingers and holding my breath until next week when it is due to arrive in Gaithersburg, MD.

Yesterday, I received another bill in the mail from Hughesnet. It was for $5.00. The invoice fee was apparently all I owed them this month. What the?? Did they really send me a bill for $5.00 to charge me for the bill for $5.00? I will never know. Billing at Tech support told me it was the invoice fee for the $475.96 final bill that they had previously sent me. I just hope I don't get another $5.00 bill for an invoice next month.

I hate this company. Their service, customer care, and tech support are the worst I have ever seen. I get angry every time I see one of their "Broadband Unbound" commercials on TV. They never mentioned the Fair Access Policy when we signed up. 200 mb per 24hrs.

I joined this forum solely to vent on Hughesnet. I suspect that the very, very few individuals who say they are happy with Hughesnet have only had it a short time. Or something more sinister, like maybe they work for HN. There I feel better now. BTW, the Century Link DSL has been flawless and as advertised. I'm getting 1.46mbps download and 512kbps upload. All the time. Not just once in a while. No download limit. Less than 1/3 the price of HN. No latency.

Bottom line: If your only choices are dial-up or satellite, go with the dial-up. It's slower (a little). It's cheaper (a lot). It's less frustrating (a lot)

Collapse -
Stay away from Hughes
by rfp0923 / March 29, 2009 1:26 PM PDT

Please. We've had this (HughesNet) service since October and I will admit, at first I was fine with it. But for the last 3 months I've been fighting with modem resets, web pages not loading on the first (or second or third) try, and don't even get me started on the "tech support". No, if you have ANY other option, take it. If not, think long and hard about keeping dial-up until you get something better. Hughes it NOT the answer.

Collapse -
Do not recommend
by tobiasvrd / June 8, 2009 2:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Stay away from Hughes is one of the most frustrating companies with whom I have dealt.
To simply cancel my service (installation) order, I was given a total run-around for one hour. I still was unable to cancel, even after talking to a supervisor and then leaving voice mail at corporate office. I was given two 'case I.D.'numbers, a 'ticket number' and a 'site account number.' I made five calls in my failed effort.
During my attempt to cancel I learned phone answerers are expert in the pass off and the endless phone hold, and in being totally unhelpful, and uncaring.
I will caution my friends to avoid this company!

Collapse -
hughes net sucks
by hughesnetsucks / June 3, 2009 1:45 AM PDT

To all the Hughes net sufferers, who have been somehow cheated wrongly informed or have been promised something which was never delivered.
I am about to let you know how to give them back, what you deserve.
I will let you know, everything there is to know about Hughes net (ISP). This article is referring to the following modem types: DW 4000, DW 6000, DW 7000, HN 7000, HN 7000S and HN 9000.
I will discuss about the following:
1. FAP (Fair Access Policy)
2. Slow Speed (slow download/ slow upload/Speed disclaimer)
3. OOW (Out of Warranty work order / Out of warranty Modem)
4. Installers complain (Wrong installation done)
5. Email Issues (Webmail, Configuring Email client)
6. How to speak to advance tech support (Tier III)

This is what Hughes net has to say about it:

Some activities are more likely to exceed the download threshold and trigger the application of the Fair Access Policy (FAP). Several examples are listed below:
Full-length movie downloads
Peer-to-peer (P2P) file sharing programs such as Napster, Kazaa or LimeWire
Continuous downloading or viewing streaming media content such as audio or video programming
Hosting of server devices such as email, FTP or Web servers
Hosting computer applications such as Web camera feeds
Automated computer to computer connections used for archiving of local computer content
Extensive downloading of Usenet Newsgroups (NNTP)
Use of BitTorrent applications
Simultaneous file downloads
Downloading large files (i.e., file sizes that are close in size to the download threshold of your service plan)
Excessive downloading or use of the services described above may cause subscribers to be affected by the Fair Access Policy, or in severe cases, to be terminated from the service.

But for more info about it please visit this link.[OID[BD8BE0839F414B4FB7CDDCA10EFA5369]]

The above information is all ********.
What is FAP actually is, any hughesnet subscriber can only download a certain amount of megabyte in any 24 hrs according to their respective plan.
That means that you can only use your internet connect for a certain time only. Now when I say 24 hrs it does not mean one day (Which everyone is confused about). It means your total download or internet usual should not exceed your total download threshold eg: 200 MB in the last 24 hrs. The 24 hrs is a cyclic clock and not a fixed 24 hr clock. When I say download it does not mean you have actually download data. Any internet usage done online eg: surfing website like google, chatting, playing game etc.
You have an OPEN Window which is 3 am to 6 am EST. But most of the time the usage data recorded in incorrect. Even when you have turn off the P.C or the Hughes net modem still it will record some usage on it, which stats that the usage is very incorrect.

Now there is a good new for DW 4000, DW 6000, DW 7000, HN 7000 and HN 7000S users. Hughesnet?s technical support can deactivate the FAP for a customer twice in a month. So you can call the Technical support and tell them that, when the usage page shows data online the P.C and the modem is turned off. You don?t use a router and the windows update or any other software update is turned off, because they will try to blame the router or the windows update. The technical support will reset the FAP for you on the call then a there. Do not get off the call until the FAP is deactivated, because if you are informed they will forward the info to someone or some other Dept then nothing is going to be done at all.

MORAL OF THE THIS STORY: Call up hughes net tech support has ask them to reset you FAP as they can do that. Twice in a month.

 Slow Speed (slow download/ slow upload/Speed disclaimer):
What Hughes net has to say about it?
With the Home service plan, you can connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds up to 1.0 Mbps, with typical speeds about 550 Kbps to 650 Kbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 128 Kbps, are typically 70 Kbps to 80 Kbps during peak hours.

With the Pro plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 1.2 Mbps, with typical speeds about 700 Kbps to 800 Kbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 200 Kbps, are typically 100 Kbps to 120 Kbps during peak hours.

With the Proplus plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 1.6 Mbps, with typical speeds about 800 Kbps to 1.0 Mbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 250 Kbps, are typically 130 Kbps to 150 Kbps during peak hours.

With the Elite plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 2.0 Mbps, with typical speeds about 1.0 Mbps to 1.2 Mbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 300 Kbps, are typically 165 Kbps to 180 Kbps during peak hours.

With the ElitePlus plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 3.0 Mbps, with typical speeds about 1.6 Mbps to 1.8 Mbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 300 Kbps, are typically 165 Kbps to 180 Kbps during peak hours.

With the ElitePremium plan, connect to the Internet with maximum download speeds of up to 5.0 Mbps, with typical speeds about 2.7 Mbps to 3.0 Mbps during peak times. Upload speeds, which are capable of reaching 300 Kbps, are typically 165 Kbps to 180 Kbps during peak hours.

If you choose to run a VPN over your satellite service, your data speeds may be reduced by as much as 50-75%. In addition, we do not recommend using HughesNet

Collapse -
Hughesnet Sucks
by colinhenry / June 30, 2009 6:55 AM PDT
In reply to: hughes net sucks

Collapse -
VSAT is great
by only_buy_FLAC_4_quality / August 14, 2009 3:28 AM PDT
In reply to: hughes net sucks

the VAST majority of the speed complaints are the result of LAZY dish installers

You MUST require the installer to achieve AT LEAST 98% signal strenth. He is only required to achieve 70%

Collapse -
Forget HughesNet
by irvaaron / November 18, 2009 9:46 AM PST

I have used HughesNet for about a month now. I informed them today that I wish to cancel my contract. They promptly responded that it would cost me $400 and another $300 if I don't give them back their equipment within 45 days.

The Fair Access Policy they use imposed a highly unrealistic cap on bandwidth. The service was barely usable and much slower over all than advertised.

I gave up calling their support departments. The people I talked to were barely understandable and I know they didn't understand me. They seemed to simply reply by rote and were, in my opinion, pretty rude as well. So, I gave up on calling and started emailing. What a joke that was. I kept getting the same canned replies over and over.

I would NOT recommend HughesNet to anyone.

Collapse -
DO NOT EVER have ANYTHING to do with Hughes Net!!
by b1731t / November 20, 2009 5:18 AM PST

I can't stress it enough, RUN, don't walk- RUN AWAY from Hughes Net. This is absolutely the worst company I've ever dealt with. Period. Don't take my word for it- just ask Google- "does hughes net suck?" and see how many pages of irate customers there are. Lets start with their initial sales pitch- oh, they'll tell you it's a certain speed but it never will be that fast. Ever. I paid for the pro plan and my dial up was more reliable (I strongly recommend dial up over Hughes net- no 2 year contract to suffer through and you'll actually have internet once in a while). They also say "southern" facing sky, but only after the installation company comes (a third party company) will you find out that this is also untrue, causing you to pay an exorbitant "custom" installation fee. If it's not the satellite direction, the installers will think of something to make their buck. Mine apparently shouldn't have even installed it. But they did, and said they couldn't even bury the line so we had to dig a 16 foot trench ourselves. As soon as the first leaf of spring grew in 2 months later there was no signal. (signal goes out if a moth flaps it's wings too close to the dish). This is after multiple calls to Hughes Net asking why my speed was so slow. Responses like: you must be downloading music. (NO), or watching movies (NO), then it must be online gaming (NO!) - more like just trying to check my email! They basically will call you a liar, because their crappy service is always your fault. Excuse after excuse. THEN after I submitted proof that the install was faulty, and was GUARANTEED there would be no early termination fee, $400 was withdrawn 10 MINUTES after I hung up the phone. I immediately called back, but for some reason they can withdraw money instantly, but can't refund it until the next billing cycle. (? How can I be on a cycle still when I just canceled?) They give you 45 days from canceling service to return the equipment, all that heavy expensive equipment I'd paid $250 to have custom installed- (yes, it costs more to have it uninstalled if you don't want to do it yourself) but would YOU return equipment to a company that just stole $400 from you? I said they'd get it within 45 days from when I get my money back. I had to open a fraud case w/ my bank to get the money back, and Hughes Net returned it the day before the bank was about to judge in my favor. NEXT DAY they took another $300 out for non-returned equipment fee. I returned it, costing $25, it was NOT ACCEPTED and was sent back (they said they couldn't read the RMA#, but the post office read it just fine!) I had to return it a 2nd time, another $25, but they still will not refund the $300. Now I'm trying to see if we can at least take them to small claims court. ON AND ON- customer service is the WORST- all foreigners reading off a script and you'll want to scream after you hear the same canned & scripted response 50 times in a row. I am one of thousands that have filed with the State Attorney General, and am waiting to see if I can be part of a class action law suit against them with Pogust, Braslow, & Millrood law firm. Other suits have been filed. Canada is desperately trying to kick them out too. I can't even imagine what the poor saps who depend on this "service" to run their businesses feel. CHOOSE DIAL UP- HUGHES NET WILL MAKE YOUR LIFE HELL!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.