Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

Hughes Net Satellite Brodband - Warning

by jtread66 / March 3, 2011 6:52 AM PST

I've had a Hughes Net satellite account for about 4 years. Recently my antivirus software reported that my satellite feed was being hijacked by 'someone from Vietnam.' I contacted customer service and then ran into a nightmare.

I have an extensive background in electronics, including an FCC General Radiotelephone License, was a professional programmer for 12 years, and know my way around computers on a chip and systems level.

I was consistently treated like I am stupid, by the 'overly polite' customer service technicians. They all said it way my computers that were at fault. Finally, and I'm being literal here, after 20 hours with various tech support people, I managed to get them to send a technician to check the system from my house. After all that time, with them telling me that it couldn't be Hughes, it had to be me, the technician hooked his own computer to the Hughes modem and ran into the same 2K download speeds and massive file downloads that I'd been having, this even though his computer had never been in contact with mine!

What a bunch of idiots. I have cancelled my account. Dish Network is my next stop. I'm really pissed that I spent so much time with such a disreptuable group of people.

DO NOT USE HUGHES for your Satellite Internet needs, for the reasons given above. They only want your money, they are not interested in any kind of quality control.

Incidentally, their reported download speeds have always been a joke.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hughes Net Satellite Brodband - Warning
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hughes Net Satellite Brodband - Warning
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A bit more
by jtread66 / March 3, 2011 7:07 AM PST

I forgot to mention that the tech guy, after being unable to confirm that my modem wouldn't pass inspection, told me that it was a common 'testing software problem' that Hughes has had for a while, and I shouldn't worry about it.

Then, when I pointed out that the 'Green' light that tells that the systme is working, had turned to 'amber', with his computer logged on to their own modem, running their own diagnostics screen, amber meaning 'System: Degraded' (you can't even log on to google home page) this guy had a fit, and demanded that I admit that the system was working perfectly.

Because it wasn't, I wouldn't, and he became verbally abusive. It would have been comical, if it hadn't been so consistent with the incompetence that I'd already been dealing with in the various levels of their 'tech support' department.

Anyway, when I was cancelling my account, I told the 3 or 4 people I had to deal with even to cancel my account, that I'd been verbally abused in my own house, and they said 'its not our problem... we subcontract out to technicians.' Classy!....

Collapse -
hughes net
by Bartsrock / May 22, 2011 6:42 AM PDT

I have hughes net because it is my only option i think??I was so excited to get my new google TV and as alwys with hughes net my bubble burst. I upgraded to the most exspensive connection and still can not view one on demand movie nor videos at all, i get cutt off and then they want 25.00 for credits for me to purchase more air time? if this is a fair access policy then why can you buy more MB's? Any help is appreciated. I so hate hughes net.

Collapse -
I have had many of the same problems with this company
by Bartsrock / June 2, 2011 12:20 AM PDT
In reply to: hughes net

I have no choice or i would be with dish years ago. I do have there SAT system but they do not have connection in my area. This company has the worst CS i have ever encountered, tey know you have no options so they dont care about anything. I do not think I have ever had a convesation with them that i came out not angered. I have there insurance but still had to pay $125.00 just to come out to fx there problems, on and on. The bill is extremly high, i am hoping for a new connection soon.....I can dream. I can not watch anything online without being thrown off and forced to buy tokens even though i upgraded to there largest download of 500 MB.

Collapse -
hughesnet
by cudles41 / June 18, 2011 1:18 AM PDT

Ya'll check & see if you can get wavelinx,I've got it & it's wireless.
I don't lose my signal even when I lose dish tv.
It's only 39.95 a month & thats for unlimited at the slowest speed they have.
It works the same way cell phones do,off of towers.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.