Computer Help

General discussion

HUGE PROBLEM !!!!!!!!

by hockeyfan074 / December 27, 2013 11:30 AM PST

So here's my problem. Three weeks ago there was a turkish airlines ad with lionel messi and kobe bryant when i opened a page. nothing to worry about, there's always some pop-up ads and everything. So, I continue my browsing on that page and since then, EVERY page i open, theres this ad appearing and i cant quit it without watching it COMPLETELY. I'm not a big computer user other than typing texts, but now this is really getting on my nerves. Browsing on the web is now frustrating. I just wanna throw everything of the wall.

Please, heavy computer users and problem solvers, HELP ME !

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HUGE PROBLEM !!!!!!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HUGE PROBLEM !!!!!!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
empty the browser cache
by James Denison / December 27, 2013 11:34 AM PST
In reply to: HUGE PROBLEM !!!!!!!!

check your home page setting. Get the URL of the ad that keeps appearing. If using Firefox then type about:config in the location line and search the configuration for part of that URL. If all that fails, you can add a line into your hosts file to block that IP address, such as

127.0.0.1 badsite.com

which will loop back any request to access the site to your computer without doing so, in effect that site disappears from the internet for you.

Collapse -
dfudf
by hockeyfan074 / December 27, 2013 11:42 AM PST

thank you for your answer but theres is no URL for the ad. theres the URL of the site that I'm on (where i can still click and write) but right under the bar, the page becomes shady and theres like a youtube video appearing with Virool logo, theres also "sponsored by turkish airlines". Above it, it says :please support this site by watching this video. theres nothing i can do. Please tell me theres something you can do. usually when i encounter a problem with computer i write it down on google and theres already a forum talking about it. but this is the first time it happens, it seems im the only one with this problem

Collapse -
what browser? FF or IE?
by James Denison / December 27, 2013 11:51 AM PST
In reply to: dfudf

In FF you can right clk and choose to view page info to get the URL. If nothing else then right clk on image and find where it's coming from.

Collapse -
rt
by hockeyfan074 / December 27, 2013 11:58 AM PST

I'm using Google chrome. what do i have to do exactly please, im a newbie concerning details like this.

Thanks

Collapse -
extensions?
by James Denison / December 27, 2013 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: rt

did you recently install a new extension to chrome, or update one already installed? Some of them come with adware included. You can type about:cache into the location line to find the site feeding the stuff to you. Empty the cache first and then when it happens search the cache to find sites which the ad may be coming from.

Turn off javascripting in the Tools, Options, or Preferences area of Chrome, see if that stops it. If so, then usually the removal of the js file by dumping the cache will get rid of it.

Collapse -
I tried
by hockeyfan074 / December 27, 2013 12:59 PM PST
In reply to: extensions?

i tried what u said : empty the cache and find the sites ... theres like a thousand of them. i dont know what to do with them.

Collapse -
is this just a spam?
by James Denison / December 27, 2013 11:56 AM PST

Do you really have a problem, or are you using this as a way to spam for them?

Collapse -
iyfiuefihfeief
by hockeyfan074 / December 27, 2013 12:05 PM PST
In reply to: is this just a spam?

what the **** dude. what would be the point ??

going on internet has become impossible. I want it to be normal again. And between you and me, if i was a virool spammer, I would have put the name I'm spamming in my topic name

So for now, go seek **** in someone else's topic I'm trynna solve mine.

Collapse -
I had to ask
by James Denison / December 27, 2013 12:14 PM PST
In reply to: iyfiuefihfeief

you'd be surprised at the tricks spammers are pulling lately. Here's some info on the site.

http://www.filmmakerforum.org/videos/1647-virool-review-a-review-on-their-service.html

You still didn't give any information that would let anyone give you better help, such as what browser is this happening in, do you have more than one browser to use, did you empty the cache, have you searched the configuration settings if FF for all http: references to find anything suspicious and so on.

Collapse -
ysfygsdfiygs
by hockeyfan074 / December 27, 2013 12:22 PM PST
In reply to: I had to ask

nothing was asked.I told him I was a newbie. I dont know how to do everything you just named. and by the way i just told the other guy that I'm using google chrome. if you have a solution tell me because i cant endure it no more...

Collapse -
same problem!
by katneo / December 28, 2013 2:27 AM PST

I have the exact same problem! I`ve tried a lot of things, even buying SpyHunter4 for $40 which didn`t help. I sent them a mail so hopefully they`ll look into it. I removed my cache which helped a little while, but now it`s back again.
I`ve tried to block all kinds of virool adresses for my Chrome browser but then the popup window still appears, just without the video(it`s a blank area where the video is supposed to be, but I still have to wait maybe 30 seconds for the "remove add" button to appear). It`s so annoying. It`s just in Chrome though, not Firefox, but I really would prefer to keep using Chrome, and I guess it`s not safe for my computer to be infected with this ****..

Collapse -
open browser and put in this;
by James Denison / December 28, 2013 2:50 AM PST
In reply to: same problem!
about:support

into the location line and press enter. On that page hit the Reset button.
Collapse -
thanks
by katneo / December 28, 2013 6:51 AM PST

Wow, so far that has actually worked! Almost too good to be true if it was that easy:D *crosses fingers*
Thank you!! *hugs*

Collapse -
i want to try
by hockeyfan074 / December 29, 2013 9:36 AM PST

I see people liking your comment, it seems to really work but as a francophone i dont know every word in english. what is a location line ?

that would help me a lot! thanks

Collapse -
reset
by katneo / December 29, 2013 1:27 PM PST
In reply to: i want to try

Go into your Advanced Settings in Chrome and press the Reset browser button on the bottom. It will reset Chrome completely so if you have any add-ons they will dissapear also. It was worth it though for my sake Happy

Collapse -
location line
by James Denison / December 29, 2013 4:13 PM PST
In reply to: i want to try

same place as where the URL goes. That area where you put in site names such as cnet.com, google.com, and others.

It quickly gets you where the Reset button is. You can also find the Reset in the Help section of the browser, I think in troublshooting area.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.