Computer Newbies forum

Question

HTML instead od Word 2007

by LKV11 / January 17, 2013 2:25 AM PST

I had my computer hard drive wiped..I had to reinstall everything back.. They put IE 8 on the computer and I didn't like it, I thought 7 was better, so I put firefox on it..

My Question is before the wipe, I would save a document from a website (Ancestry) in my docs.. and it would open with Word 2007.. Now it save page as HTML and opens it with IE and the page is a black screen..

Any ideas how it get it back to opening in Word..

Thanks, Lisa

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HTML instead od Word 2007
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HTML instead od Word 2007
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Look for the old version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 2:31 AM PST

It should be a .DOC or .DOCX file. That HTML is going to require some dozen or more other files to open and I find folk forget all the other files that the HTML required.
Bob

Collapse -
Look for old version of What??
by LKV11 / January 17, 2013 3:06 AM PST

Yes.. I know it should be a Doc file... But that is not an option.. How do I change it back.. Thanks, Lisa

Collapse -
It appears you have learned a small lesson.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 3:12 AM PST

We only lose what we didn't backup. As I noted, HTML saves are treacherous since the save would have the HTML as well as possibly a dozen files and other folders. If you didn't save or restore these, what you noted will happen.

Windows does have a search for .DOC and more so you use that and hope it finds it.

If you have the .HTML opening in Word and it's blank, the restore is incomplete and you need to find the rest of the files. I can't guess where you put the backups.
Bob

Collapse -
I don't think you understand what I am saying.
by LKV11 / January 17, 2013 3:25 AM PST

I am not opening the HTML in word.. It is opening with IE.. That's the problem.. Before when I saved a document it would save it as a doc..file and open it in Word.. Now there is no options how I want to save it... Only (save page as) a HTML.. How do I change the option save as.. What I want to save it as...

Thanks again, Lisa

Collapse -
That's a few questions.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 3:35 AM PST

1. How to open HTML with Word.

Goto File, Open and maneuver to the folder with the HTML and open it. You may have to change that pop down to *.* (All files).

2. I strongly suggest you not change HTML to open with Word by double clicking on the file in Explorer.

3. When I use File, or File Save As there is a pop down to select the file type. You don't seem to be aware of that. Here's what Microsoft wrote on that.
"Save as a different format

Click the Microsoft Office Button Button image, and then click Save As.

Important If you don't see the Microsoft Office Button Button image, click Save As on the File menu.

Keyboard shortcut To open the Save As dialog box, press ALT, F, A.

In the File name box, enter a new name for the file.
In the Save as type list, click the file format that you want to save the file in. For example, click Rich Text Format (.rtf), Web Page (.htm or .html), or Comma Delimited (.csv).
Click Save."

Collapse -
Thanks
by LKV11 / January 17, 2013 3:57 AM PST

Thanks for your help.. But I don't want to: 1. How to open HTML with Word.

And yes I am very aware of: 3. When I use File, or File Save As there is a pop down to select the file type. You don't seem to be aware of that. Here's what Microsoft wrote on that.
"Save as a different format.. I wish I could that is the Problem.. No other option, just HTML..

Thanks Again, Have a great day!! ~Lisa~

Collapse -
We have ways. (to fix that.)
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 4:00 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Here I can create PDFs from Word with ease. That way I don't run into the issue of the dozens of files the HTML needs to work.

I use a few so I'll just list them.

DoPDF
PDF995
CutePDF

I think the first are free.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Re: saving
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 3:17 AM PST

Saving a document is something else than saving a page. So on the first sight, it looks like you do something different than you used to do. Why not do in IE8, the way you used to do?

Kees

Collapse -
Would not let me
by LKV11 / January 17, 2013 3:42 AM PST
In reply to: Re: saving

I tried to change it back, would not let me do the older version.. Thanks Lisa

Collapse -
Re: save a .doc
by Kees_B Forum moderator / January 17, 2013 4:36 AM PST
In reply to: Would not let me

There has never been a save as .doc in IE. So it's quite understandable that you can't change it "back" to something that never was.
So it's very unclear what you used to do.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.