Phones

General discussion

HTC Ozone - Turning off Data and using WiFi

by foolygoofy / December 28, 2009 12:13 AM PST

Hey all, I'm planning on getting the HTC Ozone but I want to avoid the $30 monthly for the data plan that verizon charges and instead go with the pay as you go. From checking things out online I notice that there is an option in the phone to turn off Data Transfer.

Since I'm constantly in a wifi spot at work and one at home I wonder if I could get by without the data plan, I know verizon will make me get it even if I buy my phone on ebay, but I wonder if I turn the data transfer on the phone off, will I be able to get emails and perhaps sync my calendar using wifi.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HTC Ozone - Turning off Data and using WiFi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HTC Ozone - Turning off Data and using WiFi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
which question are you asking?
by Pepe7 / December 28, 2009 1:04 AM PST

Are you asking whether or not you can use the phone on verizon and avoid the mandatory data plan? Or whether or not the phone can be configured to sync over wifi?

I'm not so certain pay as you go can be configured with that handset. You might be better served by using Page Plus Cellular for pre-paid, which uses the Verizon coverage area. That pre-paid service I know will allow you to register a Verizon branded handset you brought in from ebay. This would not require a data plan and you could sync over wifi (or USB) as needed.

Is there a link you could provide regarding Verizon's pay as you go where you saw the specifics regarding customer provided handsets?

Collapse -
Rephrasing
by foolygoofy / December 28, 2009 2:29 AM PST

I understand that I have to get the data plan with verizon, but I also understand that the HTC Ozone has a function that you can turn off the data transfer and still receive calls, connect to wifi, etc. That being the case I'll choose the pay per KB plan instead of the $30 per unlimited. Then I'll turn off the data transfer in the phone and just rely on the wifi to get emails and sync the calendar.

So the question is, if I turn off the data transfer in the phone, will I be able to use the wifi in areas that there is wifi and do what I can do with a data plan, but with wifi.

Collapse -
Data off Wi-fi on
by mello... / February 2, 2010 12:26 PM PST
In reply to: Rephrasing

foolygoofy - any luck with this?

I am posed with a similar issue and want to avoid getting stung anymore than I have been by Sprint.

I have wi-fi on so don't need to use Sprint but got stung with a $75 'casual data fees', seriously!

Mello...

Collapse -
which Sprint handset do you use?
by Pepe7 / February 2, 2010 11:20 PM PST
In reply to: Data off Wi-fi on

Some of the smartphones give the option to turn off 3G data. Which one are you using? If you are using a dumbphones, you may have the option to turn off data on that line.

Collapse -
Data off Wi-fi on
by mello... / February 3, 2010 5:36 AM PST

I have a HTC Touch Pro 2

Collapse -
To be certain, use the Modaco 'no data' app for WM
by Pepe7 / February 3, 2010 2:35 PM PST
In reply to: Data off Wi-fi on

That's how I block data on my ATT Tilt.

Collapse -
HTC Ozone Follow up
by foolygoofy / February 3, 2010 8:57 PM PST

Hi Mello

Well I had to learn the hardway, so I took my risk and bought the HTC Ozone on ebay (not unlock, it's a Verizon phone and I have Verizon). Yes the phone has a way to turn the data tranfer off, however if by accident you open internet explorer or any other application in the phone is set to download data automatically like the weather application, email account or the RSS, it will ignore that data transfer is off and connect anyways and get the information.

I heard there was an application that would stop that from happening, I went and got it (Google: HTC Ozone no data nodata.zip), when I tried to transfer it to my phone by email or by the usb it wouldn't install, the phone would detect it as dangerous and deny access or execution of the file.

I don't know about other carrier since I had Verizon before they were Verizon (Airtouch) but with Verizon you can go online and change your plan features and I saw the option of Canceling the Data plan, but the system knows what phone you are using so if you have a dumb phone (my wife does) you can cancel the plan, but with smart phones it doesn't let you.

There is no easy way out. From my conclusions there is a possible theory, not proven by me, but it's another rumor out there like the nodata.zip file I got. I read that if you buy an unlock phone you can get away with it, but the unlock phone has to come from other carrier so that the system will not be able to trace your HEX number, it gets your HEX number, but since the phone is from another carrier it doesn't detect what kind of phone it is so you can get away with the Data Plan and the phone is treated like a dumb phone.

Now that I have the HTC Ozone and I'm on the other side of the fence paying for my data and was able to research both side, those are the conclusions I can bring you.

I have turned data off and try to treat the phone like a dumb phone, but I haven't been able to proof that data is traffered even though all my apps may have auto update off, but I wouldn't risk it, having data off I open internet explorer I expect to get a unable to connect message, but I got my homepage, when I went to setting, data was still off.

The wifi is more for when you work in concrete buildings were signals get really hard to get and with smart phone is really hard for that to happen but in the month that I have the phone happened once and it was nice to be in a place that I couldn't get calls, and still my wifi pick up a signal and I was able to get emails

Any other questions shoot me a note I'll be glad to help.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.