Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

HPPhotosmart C4580 won't scan after downloading 10.6.2

by 41hijinx / November 28, 2009 2:42 AM PST

13' Macbook Pro, 10.6.2, 4 G Ram. I downloaded 10.6.2 and now cannot scan. It will print ok. I had the same problem with 10.6.1 but used System Pref > Print and scan > hit scan button. Now nothing works. Using HPScanPro I click on "new scan" and get "unknown error occurred". Using System Pref > Print and scan I hit "open scanner" and get "no scanner selected" even though Photosmart C4500 appears in box. A few times it said "scanner warming up" and then scanned but the scan did not appear on desktop. When scanning from the unit itself, the icon bounces briefly in the dock but does not open.I have uninstalled and reinstalled the software. (By the way it is using "driver4.0.2) Please help! Thanks.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HPPhotosmart C4580 won't scan after downloading 10.6.2
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HPPhotosmart C4580 won't scan after downloading 10.6.2
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP scanning software does not work with Snow Leopard,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 3:13 AM PST

Use Preview and the Import from Scanner option.

You will get the same answer on the HP website

P

Collapse -
Preview
by 41hijinx / November 28, 2009 4:01 AM PST

Sorry how do I navigate to preview? Thanks.

Collapse -
You will find Preview
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 28, 2009 7:07 AM PST
In reply to: Preview

in the Applications folder.

Just double click the icon as usual

P

Collapse -
Preview
by 41hijinx / November 29, 2009 12:07 AM PST
In reply to: You will find Preview

Thanks. I dragged the HP folder to the Preview Icon and it opened up to "Device Chooser.icn". Under File I selected "Import From Scanner > "Includes Network Devices" but nothing happens. The "Device Chooser.icn" is still there. What am I missing? I appreciate your patience.

Collapse -
You are not missing anything,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: Preview

just not reading the instructions.

Leave the HP scanning software folder alone, it is not used for anything anymore.

Have the scanner, turned on and ready, connected to your Mac.
Launch Preview, it's in the Applications folder
Under File, choose Import from Scanner
If your scanner is functioning correctly, you will see the name of your scanner.
Choose it
Follow the on screen instructions.

P

Collapse -
Failed to open session
by 41hijinx / November 29, 2009 7:26 PM PST

I did as instructed making sure my scanner was on and connected. I got a message "Trying to open scanner session", then "Failed to open session on the device". What next?

Collapse -
Not a well scanner?
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 29, 2009 8:57 PM PST
In reply to: Failed to open session

Take a look at the HP site/page for troubleshooting tips for this scanner

I can only say that it works for me

P

Collapse -
Thanks
by 41hijinx / November 29, 2009 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Not a well scanner?

Thank you for your help. I will keep trying to figure something out and if I can I will post it here. Thank for your patience.

Collapse -
If you are sure the scnner is good
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 3:56 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks
Collapse -
Switched to old scanner
by 41hijinx / November 30, 2009 7:47 PM PST

Giving up on the HP, I disconnected my old Canoscan LiDE 600F from my G3, and connected it to my MacBookPro and downloaded the latest driver. It now seems to work using Preview!

Collapse -
Possibly not supported or not well,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 30, 2009 8:53 PM PST

either way, pleased to see you're back in business

P

Collapse -
Thanks
by bedfordc77 / August 29, 2013 7:51 AM PDT

You just saved me the expense of a new printer/scanner!

Collapse -
Thank You
by Leslyn Graham-Kraus / December 24, 2009 1:43 PM PST

Hi. Just wanted to say thank you for your post. I haven't been able to get the scanner on my hp6380 working after installing Snow Leopard on my MacBook Pro. Your tip solved my problem, and helped my daughter finish a last minute Christmas present just in the nick of time.

Thanks again!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.