HP forum

Question

hpef500 boot up trouble

by WOWTHISNAMEWORKS / January 20, 2013 5:16 AM PST

Hello.
My main issue is that my HPE500F computer will not boot. Problem ongoing for 2nd week.
1 I turn it on
2 mouse light flickers then is out
3 no apparent power to the keyboard
4 no display at all, monitor no signal going to sleep

So the keyboard and mouse and display all work, I am using then right now. (including the vid cable)
Anyway, a tech came out to my home to fix the problem. I had the computer off and unplugged for about 5 days or so. When the tech got there, I plugged in the computer, display, keyboard, mouse and hit the power button. Instant display and functionality.

The tech ran his diagnostic software after the computer was started which he ran from a flash drive. Cleaned out 4 viruses and reloaded windows 7. He reloaded win7 because I had attempted this prior to his arrival and it failed midway
So windows loaded, updated and I thought YEA. Shut down the computer moved it back upstairs plugged it in....Fans ran....nothing else, well little lights inside the computer also lit up.
Im lost.....confounded and sad....not real sad, got a laptop that's fine, just does not have a tv tuner.
Can someone help?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hpef500 boot up trouble
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hpef500 boot up trouble
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Most repair services warranty their work 30 days
by wpgwpg / January 20, 2013 5:21 AM PST

I'd call whoever you got to do the repairs. They usually give you a 30 to 90 day warranty, so maybe they'll come and fix it for no charge. These things can be frustrating, I know. I think computers are female, but I can't find any women to agree about that. Laugh
Good luck.

Collapse -
Answer
WOW......I GOT THE FIX!!
by WOWTHISNAMEWORKS / January 26, 2013 1:08 PM PST

So if anyone has trouble of this nature from the original post, do this or get someone to do this for you if your afriad of damaging your machine.

Of course be powered down, unplugged etc.

1 change cmos jumper from 1,2 to 1,3 (this step might actually not be necessary, however my computer time was reset to date I bought it. This was important because once system was running agian, Norton fired right up.)

2 change clr jumper form 1,2 to 2,3. This wipes bios password.

3 Pull out the memory modules. I do not know if this is important, however pull them out of their slots and rember which slot each module went into. I also do not know if this is important, but I put them back in after several minutes.

I then powered up machine hitting F10 repeatedly .....and it started. Still asked for password. I realize that I am contradicting what I said above. However, I then choose option to start windows, and I did. Loaded up Norton 360 and scanned system.

This process is still happening at time of writing. I will post results tommorow.

Collapse -
Late night....sorry for miss typing.
by WOWTHISNAMEWORKS / January 26, 2013 2:11 PM PST

In one post I said change clr settings from 1,2 to 1,3. That is not possiable. Change the jumper setting from 1,2 to 2,3.

After you do that and keep it that way for abit, change back to 1,2.

All this information I am relaying can be found in the HP help section......Just gotta dig and sort through their information.

good luck. Happy

Collapse -
Answer
WOW....Some missing information I accidentally left out.
by WOWTHISNAMEWORKS / January 26, 2013 1:11 PM PST

When you change cmos jumper and let it stay that way for a minute or two.....change it back to original 1 , 2 setting. Same with clr jumper.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.