Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Legacy OS

General discussion

hp7955 xp, starts but internet explorer won't come up.

by sehayes / June 17, 2006 12:36 PM PDT

i defraged my computer one evening and the next day when i started it up, hp invent came up, and the only thing i get on the screen is " operating system not found. there is nothing installed in the floppy, cd rom or dvd writer.i can get the bios to come up by using f1 key. i tryed a hard start, checked the connectors on the mother board and the hard drives. last year i installed a 160gb as the master and moved the 40gb to the slave and it has been working great. we have been on dialup and this spring, sprint offered us a broadband modem and it works great. i can still use the internet on our laptop. thanks, glen

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hp7955 xp, starts but internet explorer won't come up.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hp7955 xp, starts but internet explorer won't come up.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Since...
by PKsteven / June 17, 2006 12:56 PM PDT

You can get into the CMOS\Bios, did you see if your hard drive is detected? Have you checked the IDE connections to make sure they haven't come loose? I am a bit confused as your title says, xp starts but IE won't come up. Now, in your post it sounds like you have no XP at all? Could you verify this please?

Thanks , Paul

Collapse -
hp7955 (xp) starts but internet explorer won't come up.
by sehayes / June 20, 2006 7:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Since...

i went into my bios and there is no master of slave in primary, they show in the secondary. no, my xp isn't coming up.

Collapse -
Do you..
by PKsteven / June 20, 2006 5:20 PM PDT

have the original XP cd? Or do you have an OEM restore disk? Your operating system is non existant right now and could be a few things.

First I suggest either getting a known good IDE cable and trying that. Also, you can use the IDE connection that is known working for your slave drive and you could swap the secondary cable , which typically your cd rom drives are hooked to. Swap the power plug also by simply unplugging the other drive and plug into the one not seen. If that fails, it may be a bad hard drive or your IDE controllers are shot, in which case a new motherboard will be in order. Are you sure the plugs are not on backwards? Sorry, have to ask that. Did you do an auto detect in the CMOS to see if it would possibly detect the drive? I don't think the OS has anything to do with it since a drive is typically detected anyway. Possible the hard drive is bad too. If you can, take the hard drive out and test it in another computer.

Paul

Collapse -
operating system not found is referring to your hard drive
by DarCLew2 / June 17, 2006 2:46 PM PDT

It is probably looking at your master HD and you may have your slave HD with the WINXP in it. So there is probably no WINXP, Internet Explorer in your 160 GB Hard Drive for it is in your 40 GB Hard Drive. Check the properties on both Hard Drives. Bear in mind that having the Master is your NEW hard Dive and the the old one is the Slave to the Master and it will read Master first and then the Slave. Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.