HP forum

General discussion

HP Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 & SP3 troubles

by kbwalker / March 14, 2011 1:58 PM PDT

Reload OS, discs courtesy of HP, has update rollup2. Install all updates, install SP3, SP3 wipes out Media Center Edition 2005. Does this everytime I reload OS. Anyone have a fix, or know of this OS discs with XP MCE 2005 with SP3 on it? Called HP tech support, got India, could not understand tech's english. Oh, and they wanted to charge me $49, Microsoft no help either. This OS got dumped on by Microsoft, while working on Vista Media Center. Thanks for any help on this.Machine is HP Pavilion Media Center a1642x Desktop PC

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 & SP3 troubles
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Windows XP Media Center Edition 2005 & SP3 troubles
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I think 49 is a good deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 14, 2011 2:25 PM PDT

Compared to the alternatives, take the 49 bucks!

As to SP3, it may be the old HP AMD issue (you can research that or hope someone tells you the fix.) That issue was widely discussed so I'm thinking your issue can't be that. Tell more and hope someone nails it.

I find many don't understand the OEM deal about support. Microsoft is not going to offer any support without a bit of cash. But folk seem to expect support where the OEM agreement tells us there is none. If you need more about this, we can discuss that too.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks for replying
by kbwalker / March 14, 2011 3:05 PM PDT

I have Intel dual core processors, almost 4g of ram.

Collapse -
by kbwalker / March 14, 2011 3:52 PM PDT

I don't expect them to be free, but I didn't expect Microsoft to wipe my Media Center either. As far as alternatives, I have no ideas. Whatever you can tell me, I sure would appreciate it, even about their support,etc.

Collapse -
My system says..........on performance and maintenance...
by kbwalker / March 14, 2011 3:49 PM PDT

System:

Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Version 2002 Service pack 3

And then on my Creative sound card system information details:

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3{5.1.2600}

So, what the heck is going on here? How can I be running 2 different OS's on my computer? Sheezzz...

Collapse -
Now that I can explain.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 15, 2011 4:42 AM PDT

Under the hood, Media Center is based on XP Pro. Apps can inadvertently show this information and confuse some owners.

-> With that out of the way we could discuss some old discussion where someone found there were actually no differences in "XP Home" and "XP Pro". These are all the same at the core with different apps added on.

But you bring up a good point. Why isn't there some tutorial about all this for owners that have these questions? Or why isn't it in some 5 or less minute video?
Bob

Collapse -
now I'm really confused!
by kbwalker / March 23, 2011 11:52 AM PDT

My mom has the very same computer. Of course she has never had a crash,etc. and she surfs ebay,newspapers,plays some games like solitare and free cell, those kinds of things on her computer - but the kicker is, she has SP3 and all updates, and her XP Media Center Edition does just fine w. XP SP3. Go figure?

Collapse -
Not so confusing.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2011 12:55 AM PDT

Windows XP and in fact all versions to date can be damaged by an untold number of things. These may be us installing and removing apps to malware.

Since no one likes uninstalling and reinstalling Windows, most folk will live with a cranky system that reports as XP Pro when it was marked as Media Center. My reply in post 6 was to note that under the hood, it is XP and that Microsoft simply "skinned" XP to provide more versions.

While interesting it may not help those looking to cure a cranky XP. For that we have a billion discussions from reinstalling to trying to repair this OS.

The symptoms show the OS has been damaged and a fresh start might be best.
Bob

Collapse -
thanks for the reply
by kbwalker / March 27, 2011 11:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Not so confusing.

I've done that, but after the SP3 install, it happens again. So, O'm lost.

Collapse -
You are right. Correct and more.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 27, 2011 11:58 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks Bob!
by kbwalker / March 29, 2011 9:35 AM PDT

will read this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.