PC Applications forum

General discussion

HP WinCrisis utility

by davy08 / April 16, 2010 8:28 PM PDT

I have this HP Pavilion dv2416us (DV2000) laptop that i'm trying to creat a WinCrisis floppy disk & compress (using WinZip) the bios file once saved to a folder on my C: drive.
The laptop will not boot up because of a bad reflash, I believe.
Been to the HP business forum under the link: CRISIS RECOVERY DISK, followed by:CRISIS RECOVERY DISK #2.
They explain how to create the disk to a external floppy drive & i've tried it & get confused how to change the HP bio's file name to bios.wph to copy to the disk files already created on the disk.
This procedure is so tedious to perform for me & not too familiar with moving the files around to the right place.
The only way it's possible to get this done is have someone walk me through the procedure step by step.
Have printed out all the info needed.
The WinZip procedure is rather hard to figure out also.
You must have it done correctly so that the laptop will recognize the bios created on the floppy.
I know how to go into the recovery mode method by pressing the Windows+B keys to get the fan to speed up.
I'm very familiar with flashing any bios when a system is up & running & have done it many times without any problems on some of my client's computers.
I know once I get this procedure accomplished I will be able to do it anytime.
Hope someone here can guide me through the procedure where I can understand it better.
Not too savey at this & would like to know more about it.
Thank's!
David

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP WinCrisis utility
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP WinCrisis utility
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Me too.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2010 12:15 AM PDT
In reply to: HP WinCrisis utility

I read your post and after all this it reads as if the machine has suffered a fatal issue and needs a trip to HP's shop.

Ask them for an estimate.
Bob

Collapse -
WinCrisis reply
by davy08 / April 17, 2010 1:35 AM PDT
In reply to: Me too.

I forgot to mention all the details i've been through this whole ordeal.
HP (On phone,chat & email)already offered me a lousy deal of $249.46 to send it in plus they pay shipping.
I even wanted to talk to a service rep but kept bumping from that.
Bull on that!!!
They should make these laptop a recall like they do on the batteries the same as Dell does.
I have a Gateway M465E laptop that's never had any problems & bought it on EBay used.
Like i mentioned their out for your rmoney & nothing else unless your product is still under warranty & that's it.
Yop name & i've done it on this laptop except getting the disk setup correctly for the reflash.

Collapse -
249 is not a bad deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2010 2:20 AM PDT
In reply to: WinCrisis reply

I usually see 400 and up to change motherboards for such failures so that's a good deal.

Good luck in sorting this all out but even I found the instructions written poorly. Since I didn't write it and don't do this often enough I must decline from rewriting such here.
Bob

Collapse -
HP Crisis Recovery procedure
by davy08 / April 17, 2010 2:40 AM PDT
In reply to: 249 is not a bad deal.

No! That was just to test it & this laptop has a bad reflash & not a GPU overheating issue which requires either repairing the GPU coming unseated or replacing the mobo.
They offered this discount since I was causing such a fuss on getting them to extend the warranty for alot of them having the very same problems.
I went as far as telling them I was going to take action on this matter if they didn't get my issue resolved fast by sending it in & get it fixed for free.
I'm wanting to get this reflash taken care of & see if that's going to get it to boot to bios so I can furthur test it for the wireless issues which it started out having when my client brought it to me to fix.
Wireless would work at times then it would stop working & had a problem with it not booting up & a dark screen.
Heard alot online about 1 long & 2 short beeps but this one is only beeping twice(short)which is documented on HP support docs as being a bad bio's reflash.
I flashed it to the current reflash & that's when my problem started.
Some have stated that not to reflash it to the current one but now it's too late for this one.
Suppost to have fixed a wireless issue.

Collapse -
Yes, it's a good deal.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / April 17, 2010 11:15 PM PDT

On many boards if the bios gets a bad flash there are no options for field recovery so the full price of repair is incurred. I have done this crisis recovery only a few times and creating the boot diskette or CD is not well documented but did push some to their limits. For example some demand step by step instructions along with how to unzip files and how to use unzip, the dos command line and more.

I wonder how detailed such instructions must be today. In the past I'd write "unzip these files and place them in the root of the CD." Today I find folk asking what that means.
Bob

Collapse -
HP WinCrisis utility
by davy08 / April 18, 2010 1:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes, it's a good deal.

Thank's for your reply.
I'm going to try & access the laptop hdd by using my external drive kit to see if I can get itno the device manager to see if there's any conflics with the video drivers for the Turbo Cache drivers since I deleted them a while back & it stopped booting to the HP bio's with no video.
Might be a real challenge since i've never done this before.
Can get access to all the files from it.
Trying to use the utility for the Crisis Recover procedure to see if it might be a problem with the bio's being corrupt.
Have all my folders ready to get started but having problems getting them arranged & compressed for the floppy external drive.
Thank's!
David

Collapse -
Laptop gone
by davy08 / April 18, 2010 8:07 AM PDT
In reply to: HP WinCrisis utility

My client came by to pick up the laptop.
Told him it was either the bios or the GPU gone south & would need another GPU or have it fixed.
That's if it doesn't have an issue with the bio's.
Has been an experience though learning about the crisis recovery method.
Desktops are the only thing I will work on for now on unless the laptops has need for a hdd,battery or reprogramming etc.
No more mobo repairs for me on laptop's.
David

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.