Desktops forum

General discussion

HP vs Sony does brand name matter?

by timistic / May 3, 2004 11:12 AM PDT

Best Buy and other computer stores sell both HP and Sony is there any incentive to go with one brand over the other? Is either better than the other, if they have similar specs?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP vs Sony does brand name matter?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP vs Sony does brand name matter?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:HP vs Sony does brand name matter?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 3, 2004 12:56 PM PDT

While I've encountered Sony's rather nasty habit of dropping support if you change the OS (even from XP Home to XP Pro), they have the better idea on the DVD recorder with an All-Format (both plus and minus) device.

HP is stuck in their rut trying to convince everyone that all you need is DVD+R/W.

If given the choice, I'd go with HP given Sony's support.

Bob

Collapse -
Re:Re:HP vs Sony does brand name matter?
by kbrahmer / May 13, 2004 3:40 PM PDT

The real issue for most users is the quality of the support rendered after the sale. It is not a matter of WHETHER or IF a problem will occur...JUST when...and technical support often determines just how effectively your system will meet your needs. Even with good quality control, you can receive a unit with problems...it's what the manufacturer does to resolve it that makes the difference. It won't matter how good the price or the logo on the box.... Check the IRC groups and take the complaints with a grain of salt...but you can find trends. In fact the industry is repleat with good manufacturers whose sales at times outstretch their support staff and during their recovery there are loads of unhappy customers.

Collapse -
HP Support
by Yuna / May 13, 2004 3:53 PM PDT

On another note, HP support is virtually non-existant.

When I was having problems with my out of the box computer, I had to call the west coast, not toll-free, mind you, between the hours of 9:00 AM and 3:00 PM Pacific time. I live near Chicago and worked 9-5 central time.

In Pacific time, that was 7 am to 3 pm. I could never get a hold of anyone. Horrible service and horrible products.

Collapse -
Re:HP Support
by Buxombeauty1962 / May 14, 2004 3:26 AM PDT
In reply to: HP Support

I would have to concur with you about HP's support. It is fairly non existant for even the fairly skilled but non-tech user if you don't know how to wade thru their online help. What a nightmare. I have a pavillion (dont laugh, it seemed like a great machine when i bought it), it comes preloaded with a plethera of programs that i never use.....programs that run in the background conststantly and eat up my ram. When i try to disable them or delete them, all hell breaks lose. The recovery disc are useless as they automatically re-install all the components i dont want and there is no option to simply reinstall windows. While I believe HP has faaaaaaaaaaaabulous perripherals, I am very dissatisfied with my pc and do not plan to purchase another. But HP peripherals?..the best...hands down!

an HP pc again.

Collapse -
by Yuna / May 13, 2004 3:50 PM PDT

Yes it does! I would not buy another HP computer if they were the only ones on the market! I've had THREE HP computers, all related to one computer purchase and none of them ever worked properly. I finally had to gut the system, repackage everything and hack it back together to get it to work. Everyone I know who's bought an HP computer has had major problems with it. Sony is an excellent name and has a wonderful reputation. I recently purchased a Dell and I'm estatic with it. It came quickly and setup was a breeze. I can't make your decision for you, but I would never, ever recommend a HP or Compaq (now owned by Hewlett Packard Corp) computer to my worst enemy, let alone a stranger or friend.

Dell has fantastic specials and if you live in a state where there's no distribution center, you only have to pay state tax on the at-home service plan.

Sony has been around for a long time. I've been into commerical videography and have been using high-end equipment for over 20 years and Sony is the name to go with. Sony, Panasonic, Technics, Pioneer, Aiwa (Panasonic underbrand) are all good names for electronics.

Choose wisely. I spent $1600 on my HP and spent the next five years kicking myself for doing so.

Just for reference, I snagged a Dell for about $1110 and its specs are:

3.0 Ghz P4 with 800 mb side bus, HT Technology
1 Gig ram
120 Gig HD
CD-RW
DVD-RW
128 MB NVIDA GeForce 5200 video card
SoundBlaster 5.1 audio card
15" Flat Panel monitor

So, I really, really recommend shying as far away from HP computers and printers.

~Yuna

Collapse -
by iminok / May 13, 2004 7:54 PM PDT

Over the past four years I have owned both brands...My HP was OK, but after struggling with it's lack of quality I upgraded to a Sony Vaio Desktop and LOVE IT...I gave my sister my old HP and she uses it to surf the web and that is about it...
I love my Sony, however I also own 5 sony megastorage jukeboxes and a Stereo Reciever and have noticed that their quality has gone down over the past 3 years...Hp seems to be trying to improve but I don't notice Sony..I also own a Sony Cybershot Digital Camera which is pretty good in quality but not the BEST...

Collapse -
Re:Re:HP vs Sony does brand name matter?
by cp33 / May 13, 2004 8:33 PM PDT

I bought an HP media center in November when my Gateway died, I had major issues in Jan and it took more than a month and some major part replacements before it was fixed, but HP did everything to fix the problem. Tech support could not have been more helpful and each call was toll free and a couple were more than an hour in length.

We have been pleased with HP and are toying with the purchase of a second machine for our teenager's room.

Collapse -
Re:Re:Re:HP vs Sony does brand name matter?
by darqangel / May 14, 2004 3:17 AM PDT

i've bought a sony vaio in '96 and wouldn't buy any other brand when it comes to electronics.
I still have this computer (i might add, i did some upgrades on it in the meantime, incl.a motherboard/processor upgrade). I would never buy a HP system. I'd rather build a system myself.

Collapse -
by Cal-01 / May 14, 2004 3:59 AM PDT

I have an HP desktop and have not had too much trouble with it, other than you can't upgrade the operating system?!! I bult a computer with less specs than my Pavilion and had no trouble loading Win-XP. My HP would not except it. I had to reformat the hard drive then use the HP recovery disk to get it running again. Then after deleting and uninstalling all the usless Microsoft crap (Works for one)I got it running like it used to.

Sony on the other hand I hav not had much of a problem. At least their older stuff. I have a Betamax (no laughing please) that is an iron work horse. I have never had a problem with it however I bought a Sony DVD player and it was in repair for three months before the switched it out with a new one. As for customer service, Sony, although slow, was superior to HP, which after the acquisition of Compac, has spirled down the drain in customer care.

Collapse -
by _Bill_WA / May 14, 2004 4:43 AM PDT

WOW----Almost bought a COSTCO HP machine, with lot's of "bells and whistles". 3.2, 250 H.drive, video card, 512 RAM, 19" Flat screen, etc., UNDER $1700, No sales or shipping charges.

Then I read about the service-----Just called HP.....was told service is 24/7........so something isn't right....

maybe I'll just wait.....thanks

Collapse -
by gblayne / May 14, 2004 8:01 AM PDT

I have a HP pavilion that is 3 years old with a pentium 2 and it is a 1.2gh. I have had very little problems with it and when I have had problems I found customer service to be of great help! There online help and support does not cost a dime to use and they are very patient and do there best to solve the problem. I had to disconnect my monitor once and I bent one of the prongs,and when I tried to straighten it I broke it! Now I know it is not very safe to get inside of a monitor but I did so I could replace the cable.I took it out and went on a serch for a new one with no luck! I called customer service to try and buy a new one,they had a cow when they herd I had opened up the monitor and removed the cable. They ask if I new I could possibly die if I touched the wrong thing in there and I said yes I know what to stay away from,well they was so concerned for my safety that they sent me a new monitor and it was a 17 inch were mine was only 15 inch! I have never had a Sony but I would not hesitate to bye another HP computer!

Collapse -
by yahoolee / May 14, 2004 4:10 PM PDT

As for HP, it's short for HORRIBLE PROBLEMS. Sony's are ok, but overpriced. I would go with a dell or gateway, or go to a reputable pc shop and have a generic pc built.

Collapse -
Sony overprice?
by rjvem / September 10, 2009 6:07 AM PDT

by yahoolee - 5/14/04 11:10 PM In reply to: HP vs Sony does brand name matter? by timistic
As for HP, it's short for HORRIBLE PROBLEMS. Sony's are ok, but overpriced. I would go with a dell or gateway, or go to a reputable pc shop and have a generic pc built.

There is a saying for all the consumer out there...... Price speaks for itself dude!!!

Collapse -
by dfcoll547 / May 15, 2004 3:01 PM PDT

I own a Sony VAIO ,2002 mod RX851. Excellent Media Machine. $1300.00. off the shelf at Walmart. Christmas time 2002. Have never had any problems that the Vaio installed and on line helps wouldn't FIX. I love it. My sister has a HP but I don't know specs so won't comment further, other than she has said she wishes she had bought one like Mine. What can I say? Have HAPPY COMPUTING ALL!! Dave

Collapse -
Brand Does Matter But In Some Cases
by markbenson1 / September 10, 2009 6:42 PM PDT

What I believe is all big names provide equivalent type of quality but what matter most is the after sale policy. Befere buying any product we should first understand the sale policy and the after sale policy of that company for that particular product. It often happens that after buying some product we face lot of difficulties to use it or upgrade it. Here the after sale policy of that company comes into effect and we can get help according to the policy of that company.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.