HP forum

General discussion

HP very poor, if not existing, documentation.

by castnet54 / August 9, 2010 4:42 AM PDT

I've always built my computer from scratch, this time being in a hurry I decided to purchase one from HP.
Purchased a P6510f with a H-RS880-uATX (Aloe) motherboard and an AMD 785G Chipset, and of course I wanted to upgrade it. The only documentation it came with was a large sheet on how to hook up keyboard, mouse etc.
When I tried to add two more 250GB HD, the problem began. It only recognized one drive, went to bios to check and found many problems.
1) the IDE controller is set to raid with a single drive, the graphic card is set PCIe instead of on board. Switched IDE controller from raid to ide, the computer refused to load. Being used to receiving the MB manual with my purchases, I contacted HP to obtain one.
After hours on the phone with people I could barely understand, I was told no such manual exist. Today I was contacted by HP by phone , again I was told no manual, but I could call when I wanted to make changes for help. I asked then, how can Tech Support help me if they don't have the manual? Did not have an answer. Tried Foxconn, but they only support MB they sell, not sold in systems. What a poor way to do business. I have 20 days left for a refund, but I spent hours installing all my favorite programs, emails etc. Anyone have an Idea if this manual is obtainable?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP very poor, if not existing, documentation.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP very poor, if not existing, documentation.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Upgrade and Service manual
by wb2001 / August 9, 2010 5:15 AM PDT

If it was store bought, original configuration, it had:

Operating system Genuine Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Processor AMD Athlon II 630 Quad-Core Processor
Memory 4GB , Memory speed PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM memory (2x2048MB)
Total memory slots 4 DIMM (240-pin, DDR3) (2 available)
Maximum memory expansion Expandable to 16GB
Graphics card ATI Radeon HD 4200 integrated graphics
TV & entertainment experience N/A
PCI expansion 3 PCI Express x1 (three available)(24) ;1 PCI Express x16 (one available)(24) ;1 MiniCard (one available)
Hard drive 750GB 7200RPM Serial ATA hard drive

Here is the manual:

Collapse -
Thank you for response
by castnet54 / August 9, 2010 6:01 AM PDT

Have been on HP site for days, downloaded all they had, but what I need is the Motherboard manual. Need pertinent information on sata, what are all the empty plugs on board, other configurations, and especially the Bios explanation on how it should be setup for additional components.
Thank you again

Collapse -
Motherboard specs link
by wb2001 / August 10, 2010 2:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Thank you for response
Collapse -
I too search for ever lol
by castnet54 / August 10, 2010 8:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Motherboard specs link

Well after hours on the HP website and hours of calls to get info, the answers I got from regional manager where: Should have bought a higher grade computer, no further information available, I can get help for any changes, but for a charge, any changes like adding peripherals are not covered by warranty. The help was horrible, cold and non caring. I can't believe that they can sell a computer without the MB manual, and that they don't have one available.
This is the only computer I ever bought, usually I build it myself, and that is what I'm going to do again. Hate to return item to store, but maybe they will learn not to carry any HP products. Well talking about searching, now I have to start looking for all the parts I need.
I joined the "HP SUCKS" web site, where I will write about the process I had to go trough. Hope that will save somebody from going trough the tribulation I had to endure.

Collapse -
in response
by wb2001 / August 12, 2010 1:31 AM PDT

I have never had your difficulties with HP. I did suffer at the hands of Microsoft by allowing their tech to modify my OS. Luckily I had a cloned drive available, and did not lose data content. Support has been lacking, whether it's HP, or Dell. It's a product of overhead cost,supported by number-$$$-crunching accountants with little respect to anything but job security and bonus'. I believe HP just ousted a CEO or such, with $26M settlement?
Help forums are essential. Forums that bash, IMHO, are not. Such rhetoric does little to solve the problem.
A representative of HP was at a "big box store" last fall (here in Ocala, FL). It was an announced affair. Seems a disgruntled father took advantage of it. He had his 9 year old daughter marching with a sign (on public easement) about her faulty HP laptop. Issued resolved!
It takes public sentiment to motivate HP, not "rant forums". IMO.

Collapse -
by GarvinC / August 12, 2010 3:22 PM PDT

First switch the BIOS setting back to RAID. They are refering to the integrated RAID controller, which is quite capable of supporting one or more hard drives in non RAID arrays. Plug the SATA Data cables from the new secondary hard drives into any of the motherboard SATA slots that are not yellowish orange or red (these are for e-SATA). I'd also switch the video back to PCIe as the integrated ATI 4200 HD video is PCIe 2.0. When the BIOS is set to PCIe the motherboard polls the PCIe slot first to see if there is a video card inserted in the slot, if not, then it looks around for any other PCIe video device such as the the ATI 4200 HD integrated into that Foxcon motherboard. Hope this helps. Good luck.

Collapse -
Building a new one
by castnet54 / August 12, 2010 5:21 PM PDT
In reply to: HowTo

Well wish HP would have given me the information I just received, instead of wanting to charge me, I might have kept it. Returning to store tomorrow, I'll just have to find the time to build me one.
For about 100 more dollars I was able, since I have a new 650W power supply, to upgrade to a sata6 usb3 Asus (M4A88TD)board (with the manual lol), and a Phenom II X4 3.0 945 processor, and the memory came with a free 4GB flash drive I can use for Ready Boost( I wouldn't buy one for that, but it was free). Oh and windows 7 Professional Retail, instead of Home premium OEM.
Thank you all for the response, and thanks to NewEgg for the new parts.
And I still think HP tech support SUCKS!

Collapse -
HP Board
by retiredhippie / August 25, 2010 4:56 AM PDT
In reply to: HowTo

Do I have to make a change to bio's to insert a real video card to replace built in video?

Collapse -
In the old days, most of the time.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 28, 2010 11:15 PM PDT
In reply to: HP Board

Today I rarely have to change a bios setting. Just a tip. Next time supply a link to your model so folk and answer correctly. Also, supply a link to the card so members can see if the new card fits and will work without changing the power supply.

Collapse -
Start return process before too late
by Willy / August 13, 2010 12:52 AM PDT

You found answerers lacking, so DON"T drag this out, return and get your money back and consider this a lesson learned. OEM systems are lacking in any great upgrade path. Sure, you can do some things but it appears you really want to go beyond that. So, it would be best not to kick about hoping for the best.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
Just a comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 13, 2010 1:52 AM PDT

I think many have forgotten that the mass produced cheap boxes rarely have any deep documentation. Part of the reason is that the parts inside can vary in the production lot. For example I've seen connectors on the boards appear and vanish and the make, model of drives change and even the size change on the same model number.

Why this is, has been discussed. It's all about hitting the price point and if the makers were to make detailed documents and provide FREE support then the price would have to go up.

Basic support to a point is expected but to ask the makers for what a connection is for that is not used by the base design usually costs you for the answer.

Maybe you want to know why. Here it is. Let's say that some board maker makes boards with a connector on J12. But HP doesn't require J12 for the lot. It's well known that the board maker will supply some with J12 and later runs will be missing J12.

Hope that explains it a bit more for you.

-->> It appears you don't want the mass produced unit.

Collapse -
Look online not in the box
by Mister_Do / September 1, 2010 2:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Just a comment.

Hi all,

In the Internet age, most detailed information for products can be found online, which this thread is an example of.

While a motherboard guide was not provided in the box, the info is readily available on the HP Support Website. In addition to the motherboard specs, the support site has most of what you are looking for when upgrading, including videos and other documentation on how to upgrade specific components. Here is a page that lists how to upgrade the parts on the PC mentioned earlier in this thread:

I know it's not cool to stick up for big companies (and a lot of times big companies aren't cool), but HP does provide a lot more detailed info on the Web than many other manufacturers and certainly more than you'll get after you've built a PC with parts from many vendors.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.