Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Turion 64 Notebooks Vs. Hp Pentium M Notebooks

by twillrock / July 24, 2005 5:11 PM PDT

Can any one tell me about these notebooks? Right now I am in a bust and can not choose between a HP L2000, and a Compaq V2000z. Both of these laptops use AMD new Turion 64 Platform which I don?t know a ton about. My third Choice is a HP DV4000 which uses the Pentium M Centrnio Platform but is about $100 more than the others. Batter Life is my number one priority. I am a student a DePaul University in Chicago where I have to go between 2 different campuses. Questions: 1) What kind of battery performance should I expect from the V2000z and L2000 using the Turion chip. 2) For basic Media, Music, Movies, Digital Photo Editing, and some gaming out of the three which would be best. 3)Is heat a major issue for these new turion chips.
Thanks for any help,

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Turion 64 Notebooks Vs. Hp Pentium M Notebooks
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Turion 64 Notebooks Vs. Hp Pentium M Notebooks
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Turion is the way to go
by Totalfixation / July 24, 2005 8:32 PM PDT

Well im kinda stunbled on this questinon too. I wasnt sure which one i should get. The Livestrong version HP Turion system or the Compaq Turion system. Im not to fond on promotion items like the Live strong but i do like the look of the Hp better then the Compaq, that is why i am willing to wait until Hp ends its promotional campaign on the Limited edition Lance armtrong edition. But if you dont mind the color between the HP Turion Livestrong or the Compaq V2000z series, I would go with the Compaq version. since its Cheaper and I know best buy and other National stores have them at a good price with rebates. The differents I've seen between the Compaq and the Hp Livestrong are close to 200 to 300 price gap that is why i say go with the compaq. To your main question is which one you should you get the Pentium M or the Turion. As far as i know the Pentium M does have great mobility. The speed step technology that the Pentium M has is exceptionally great. The Turion brand from AMD is meant for mobile and it does carry the Power Now technology which is almost as good as the Speed Step techonology Intel has, in my opinion. Its not on par with the Pentium M, but i would choose the AMD simply because it provides performance same or better then the Pentium M, it has 64 bit technology incorporated into there chips and the battery performance compared to Pentium M isnt that much of a different.Ive seen people say its almost 1/3 differnce, but its not true maybe 1/10 differnce. Some may see that $100 is not a big price different but judging by your concern of a $100 and stating you are attending Depual University i can tell your probably on a budget. I would say its best just to go with the Compaq system which are going for about $600 to $800, but keep looking at those ad you could possibly get them even cheaper then $600. As for Heat issues, I know the Turion runs hotter, but its not like its going to be hot enough for you to tell the differences. I find the heat issue so overrated, Overclockers(people that overclock) are a dying breed and i doubt not that many will overclock there notebooks. Like i say before I think the Compaq V2000Z series is a good choice cause its cheaper, 64 bit(dunno if Windows Vista will support 64 but at least you are prepared if it is), Performance is good much better then P4 and Just as good as the Pentium M or better, and games are great on the AMD systems.

Collapse -
by damasta55r / August 9, 2005 3:05 PM PDT

No drivers=64-bit is pretty useless. Only thing is the processor is fast and cheap.

Collapse -
Low speed Pentium-M or Centrino with...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 24, 2005 9:47 PM PDT

You'll shop for the lowest speed Centrino you can find with integrated graphics and opt for a larger battery. I've seen such and it does run for about 6 hours. DVD playback is fine as well as just about anything but games.

I wouldn't buy it since it's a 64-bit world where I am.

Collapse -
its the same machine minus the outside plastic.
by blarg / August 8, 2005 2:38 AM PDT

I just did a comparison of the two, and other than the fact that right now the Compaq is about $300 less for the same machine because or rebates its exactly the same thing. I've taken appart my other HP laptop and saw with my own eyes that half the components are labeled ''compaq'' and that if you go to the spare parts web site, they sell the same parts for both machines. If you don't mind the look of the compaq, or are unwiling to pay the extra $300 for the HP, the dirrerence is $100 cosmetic. Also, if you do to the HP web site you can buy the HP machine that's not tied to the Lance Armstrong thing...but its still the same price.

I just ordered mine. I got the V200Z with every possible hardware upgrade (which makes it a pretty high-end machine) for under $1400.

Collapse -
Pentium M still great choice now but stick to $1300 price
by KenSanramon / August 8, 2005 5:42 AM PDT

The HP and Compaq models are identical internally. They are built on the same production line in China just as my sister Compaq X1000/HPZT3000 series was (predecessor to HPDV4000 and related Compaq model). The only differences are typically the internal paint schemes and the color of the touchpad (most notebooks now have a silver lid outside and only the label differs. HP often has more black inside and is more traditional wheras Compaq is a bit more modernistic in some of its design (mine has half black, half silver keyboard desk with black touchpad - HP model is all black deck with silver touchpad which was actually only a sticker glued over the black touchpad).

You will get much better battery life (expecially using wi-fi high speed DSL or Cable internet)with a Pentium M Centrino notebook at this point (but it is 32 bit so don't overspend as Windows Vista in late 2006 is 64 bit) As Bob said, if you get a 12 cell battery option it can double your battery time. My 6 cell battery lasts 3.5-4 hours using wi-fi and longer with it turned off. A 12 cell battery option effectively doubles that (7 hours).

The AMD Turion is a good new model with the 64 bit compatibilty but its weight and battery efficiency are still not on par with the Pentium M Centrino.

Again, however, I would not spend over $1500 and you can get a great Pentium M notebook with a DVD burner now (would have had CD Burner/DVD ROM like mine last year for this price) for $1300 or under.........

that allows you to enjoy the Pentium M now but upgrade to Windows Vista 64 bit on a new notebook in 2 years (new Intel 64 bit chips and improved AMD chips will be out then) without blowing too much money now........

Collapse -
amd v intel
by jrbettis / August 9, 2005 2:24 PM PDT

I have had my L2K since July. I ordered the 1.6/1MB, 12 cell, Lightscribe dvd+/-, Bluetooth, b/g wifi, brightview screen. Around $1163. Usually I'm operating four tabs in Firefox, Thunderbird is open and wifi is connected. Playing around the first week I was down to 25% after 4 to 4 and 1/2 hours. Tweeking the virtual memory to aid in multiple browser sessions I think helped. Also that 5 lb range is very addictive. Hope this helped.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.