Desktops forum

General discussion

HP stops supporting XP software for 5 year old computer!

by tom10i / September 16, 2008 12:09 PM PDT

Hi everyone,

Thought you should know that HP has refused to supply either a rescue disk or a Window XP Media Center Edition (2005 version) for my 2003 HP media center 873n computer. This occurred after the password for XP became corrupted and I was forced to attempt to reformat the hard drive and reinstall XP Media Center. I explained that this was the fourth computer in 10 years that I had purchased from the venerable company and that I was considering buying another in the near future, but apparently they do not want or need my business. After five years they consider computers absolute and do not support OS anymore. Some outfit. Doubt I will buy anything HP anymore. Should you?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP stops supporting XP software for 5 year old computer!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP stops supporting XP software for 5 year old computer!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Understand the dilemma...on the otherhand
by VAPCMD / September 16, 2008 12:26 PM PDT

expecting a PC mfg to provide a rescue disk or an OS for a five year old product is really asking a lot in my opinion. If you anticipated the problem ...seems the thing to do would have been to acquire one awhile back.

Might check on eBay to see if anyone has such a disc for sale.

VAPCMD

Collapse -
I did.
by tom10i / September 16, 2008 12:41 PM PDT

Hello,

I did. Unfortunately, the disks that HP furnished eons ago, seem not to work any longer. I did not have enough space to fully explain the problem. I do have both disks. The recovery disk and I also have set up disks (a drive 3.5 floppies) do not seem to work in XP SP2 and the XP Media Center disk that HP furnished me in 2005 is likely defective (which is what the tech thinks). So I did not everything possible to prepare for this, short of backing up the entire hard disk which was not necessary as I have all files elsewhere. What I need is a working internet computer that allows my wife to do word processing and to watch TV. Thanks for the response.

Collapse -
SORRY ABOUT YOUR PLIGHT! I HAVE A 51/2 year old GATEWAY...
by Riverledge / September 16, 2008 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I did.

THEIR NEW TECH COMPANY (MPC) HAS SAID NOTHING ABOUT THE LENGTH OF SUPPORT THEY ARE WILLING TO GIVE TO XP. (I HAVE A LIFERTIME TECH CONTRACT ON THE ORIGINAL PURCHASE 04/2003.)

MICROSOFT HAS PUBLICALLY THAT IT WILL SUPPORT XP-2003 THROUGH 2014; XP(SP2), ang XP(SP3.) WHAT GATEWAY WILL DO IS ANOTHER QUESTION ALL TOGETHER. I REALLY FEEL FOR YOU. Best wishes, and avoid DELL!!!

Always,

Riverledge.

Collapse -
OOOOOOPS I REALLY MEANT "H-P."
by Riverledge / September 16, 2008 1:08 PM PDT

river.

Collapse -
Whar happens when you use the media you have now ?
by VAPCMD / September 18, 2008 1:04 PM PDT
In reply to: I did.
Collapse -
Not uncommon practice
by Willy / September 16, 2008 10:53 PM PDT

Most vendors/makers won't provide support after 5yrs., so they can walk away from it. Any product produced and basically re-produced again and again gets to a point, you have x-products and providing such support will be costly plus just more overhead. They still do offer online support to get drivers, etc., just not the OS discs.

You can find restore/recovery discs on the eBay and similar sources. Here is a website that provides such but not every system under the sun:
http://www.restoredisks.com/

The cost is relatively low and is the same as any other OEM OS. Also, the last resort is getting the full/upgrade version of the OS provided it too is available. XP, is getting harder to find on the store shelf and/or local sources. good luck

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
I think I'll side with HP here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2008 12:11 PM PDT

If you didn't collect a restore CD in 5 years then it's like running around in your car with a missing spare tire and then asking your dealer for the free spare. Not going to happen.

-> Moving forward. Go buy Windows and install it.
Bob

Collapse -
A reasonably happy ending
by tom10i / September 24, 2008 9:52 AM PDT

Well I did have a media center CD from HP but it did not have the SP 2update therefore it was useless and HP never was able to provide the original OS so I was out of luck.

I did buy a new XP Professional and it is working fine, w/o media center which we really decided we did not need anymore on that computer.

What I did learn was that the $12000 that my small business had spent with HP over the past ten years of so was not spent with a company that really valued our business as all they really had to do was send us an $89 program which I have no doubt they could secure for far less. We bought 4 systems, 6 monitors and quite a bit of other equipment from them and now we will not be a customer anymore.

I still needed a computer with the MediaCenter capability so, I just built my own computer. I ordered the parts from NewEgg, very fair pricing, excellent service and extra quick shipping with standard service - highly recommended, and I now know everything that it in the computer and how it all works. All parts are "off the shelf" so to speak and can be replaced, upgraded and supported from manufacturers, if necessary.

Rather than playing games with a centralized assembler of components who has employees located in who knows where who barely speak English and who often haven't a clue what you are asking them, who seem to have no ability or empowerment to make any decisions that might involve cost to the company and who really seem to feel no ownership stake in their positions, I found that when during my build, I encountered a couple of problems, the US based tech personnel at the various component manufacturers (motherboard, case et al.) were most responsive and seemed to be quite happy to help and even sent attachments to emails that showed how to do non-standard set up functions. What a change. Why does anyone buy an HP?

Collapse -
I bought HP for the value.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 24, 2008 10:24 AM PDT

I get the complete machine working and the OS for cheap. I do however make the restore CDs and duplicate them for that rainy day. Quite the bargain.
Bob

Collapse -
(NT) Good to hear you got it up and running .
by VAPCMD / September 24, 2008 11:11 AM PDT
Collapse -
It's like Cars
by Renegade Knight / September 24, 2008 4:28 AM PDT

They support a car with parts for about 10 years. After that there is no guarantee.

It's sad when computer makers don't supply the disks needed to reformat a computer. Next time get the disks with the computer or make them using a utility (some companies do have a utility).

As for HP, you are stuck. They said they don't offer the part. Try eBay.

One workaround. You need an XP Boot disk. You can borrow this from a friend. Use the COE numbers attached to your computer for the install. Once installed you can use a USB Key to install any drivers and software that came with the computer that you can download from the HP site. I did this with a ThinkPad recently. (The disk was available but I didn't want to pay the 50 bucks).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.