Laptops forum

HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook 15t-4000 Vs. Dell New Ins

by soumya_ano / December 22, 2012 11:34 PM PST

I am in the market currently looking for a Windows 8 touch laptop. There are numerous options available like the Lenovo Yoga, Vaio Duo 11, Aspire S7, XPS12 but all these models have a lower configuration than I would like to have. I had finally shortlisted to buy the Dell New Inspiron 15z touch model which costs 1099$ but doesn't have a HD display. But it does have a dedicated 2GB Nvidia GPU. So which one is better? This Dell model or the HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook 15t-4000 which costs more because of the screen but doesn't feature a dedicated GPU. Or are there other better choices?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook 15t-4000 Vs. Dell New Ins
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Spectre XT TouchSmart Ultrabook 15t-4000 Vs. Dell New Ins
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
What will this be used for?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 1:21 AM PST

We know that neither would be a good gamer laptop so the decision may be on the display alone (HD?). To play HD today the Intel solution is fine so a dedicated GPU while nice is not required.

I never read what the intended use was.

Collapse -
More info..
by soumya_ano / December 23, 2012 2:51 AM PST

My current laptop is nearly 6 years old and I am looking to replace that. Since all the new laptops come with Windows 8, I think touch is a necessity. So in short, I am looking for a laptop under 1400$ with touch.

1) What is your budget? Max 1400$

2) What size notebook would you prefer? Touch screen most preferably HD

3) Where will you buying this notebook? India

4) Are there any brands that you prefer or any you really don't like?
a. Like: HP, Dell, Lenovo, Sony, Acer
b. Dislike: None
5) Would you consider laptops that are refurbished/redistributed? No

6) What are the primary tasks will you be performing with this notebook? Watching HD videos, downloading, some video editing and photoshop work.

7) Will you be taking the notebook with you to different places, leaving it on your desk or both? Mostly indoors.

Cool Will you be playing games on your notebook? If so, please state which games or types of games? I have a XBOX, so I wouldn't play here that much.

9) How many hours of battery life do you need? Atleast 3 hours.

10) Would you prefer to see the notebooks you're considering before purchasing it or buying a notebook on-line without seeing it is OK? I want to see the notebook.

11) What OS do you prefer? Windows 8

Screen Specifics

12) From the choices below, what screen resolution(s) would you prefer? 1920*1080

13) Do you want a Glossy/reflective screen or a Matte/non-glossy screen? Glossy/reflective screen

Build Quality and Design

14) Are the notebook's looks and stylishness important to you? Not that much.

15) When are you buying this laptop? As soon as possible.

16) How long do you want this laptop to last? Minimum 3 years.

Notebook Components

17) How much hard drive space do you need? Do you want a SSD drive? Atleast 500 GB, SSD - Yes

18) Do you need an optical drive? If yes, a DVD Burner, Blu-ray Reader or Blu-Ray Burner? Not really.

Collapse -
So no games so either will do the work.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 2:54 AM PST
In reply to: More info..

It seems you did make your choice known as you want 1080 on the LCD. My kid has a 15 inch 1080p display and while nice, we won't do that again.

Collapse -
by soumya_ano / December 23, 2012 2:57 AM PST

Why? Should I go for the Inspiron then?

Collapse -
by soumya_ano / December 23, 2012 3:21 AM PST

Screen is not the deciding factor actually. I am a little confused regarding that. Most people are saying that 720p screen resolution is very dated. Do you agree?

Collapse -
No I don't agree.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 3:33 AM PST
In reply to: Screen

You set the criteria above so how can I guess it's not what you want?

The Inspiron is OK but if you care about screen quality then be sure to inspect the display. I find most inspirons to have barely acceptable displays. Useable? Yes. Photoshop users as defined by those that get color calibrators and such would not select one. I can't guess if you can use that model. It will run PS but will you live with that display?

Collapse -
Personal choice?
by soumya_ano / December 23, 2012 10:19 AM PST
In reply to: No I don't agree.

So if you were in my position, which laptop would you have chosen personally?

Collapse -
In short.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 23, 2012 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: Personal choice?

No HP (they never could fix my last laptop and walked out on the warranty.) No more HP.

The Inspiron is a little too on the low side as to LCD quality. It's acceptable but I want a little better. For my dad I picked up a simple Samsung rv515 and it's OK for the buck. My workhorse is a nice Samsung RC512 but I did swap the HDD for that hybrid hdd.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.