Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP scanner software error message

by lfeder3 / February 22, 2008 8:29 AM PST

I used to have a Dell computer with Win 98, and an HP scanner 3200c. When I bought a new Dell (with Win XP), I tried to install the HP software (PrecisionScan LT software), but it didn?t work (I got some message saying my computer could become unstable, but I don?t remember the details because it was a year ago), so I uninstalled it. Since then every time I boot up my computer, I get the following error message: ?This program updates your HP Scanning Software. You may see a message about ?Digital Signature Not Found?. You must click on ?yes? for the update to install correctly.?
I?ve even tried to reinstall the scanning software, but I get the message ?This software does not support Windows 95 or Windows NT. It requires Windows 98.? My question: how can I get rid of the ?This program updates your HP Scanning software? message? It's driving me crazy! Thanks in advance.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP scanner software error message
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP scanner software error message
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try this
by PudgyOne at work / February 22, 2008 1:16 PM PST
Collapse -
Didn't work
by lfeder3 / February 25, 2008 8:43 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

Thanks, Rick, but it didn?t work. I downloaded the software & driver for my scanner (4200c), but it wouldn?t install properly. After installing the sw, I got a message that the sw did not pass the Windows Logo testing to verify its compatibility with Win XP. I downloaded the driver anyway. Then when I installed the driver, I got a WinZip Self-Extractor error message ?Can?t create output file: c:\sj655\CFGMGR32.DLL?. I uninstalled the sw, but now I can?t uninstall the driver (sj655 file), and I still get that message ?This program updates your HP Scanning Software. You may see a message about ?Digital Signature Not Found.? You must click ?Yes? for the update to install correctly.?

Any other idea how to get rid of this message? Thanks very much.

Collapse -
Have a look...
by glenn30 / February 25, 2008 9:21 AM PST

in your "Startup Folder" and if anything remains concerning the printer that you are not using... disable it from startup. Hopefully that will stop the error message that is meaningless at this stage.

Hope it works... not completely sure but worth a try.

Collapse -
Still nothing
by lfeder3 / February 26, 2008 7:51 AM PST
In reply to: Have a look...

Thanks, but there was nothing related to the scanner in my startup menu.

Collapse -
Use this program
by PudgyOne / February 26, 2008 5:03 PM PST
In reply to: Still nothing

to remove the problems associated with the HP update software.

Only select the program you are having trouble with. This program will clean out anything that was left there.

Restart your computer.

Let us know how you make out.

Collapse -
Getting desperate
by lfeder3 / February 27, 2008 5:32 AM PST
In reply to: Use this program

Still no luck, Rick Sad
I installed the Windows Install Cleanup, but unfortunately the program that the message refers to (HP PrecisionScan LT Setup) doesn?t come up in the list. In fact the only HP application that comes up is ?HP Product Detection (4.00.0002)?. I did a search on my computer for HP files, and discovered a file called HPDeviceDetection.dll (under c:\\program files\\HP\Common) and tons of files beginning with HP in the Windows directory and in a directory called i386 - some of which are no doubt related to my HP laser printer (12+ yrs old). I don?t want to delete anything that would stop my laser printer from functioning.

Any other ideas?
Thanks very much.

Collapse -
Not sure if this helps.
by PudgyOne / February 27, 2008 5:51 AM PST
In reply to: Getting desperate

You're trying to install the Precisionscan LT Software, correct? Or are you trying to remove the update feature and any error message?

Also found this

and this.

System requirements say

PC with Pentium (R) (586 and up) or equivalent processor
Parallel port
Microsoft Windows 95 or Windows 98
16 MB RAM or more (32 MB recommended)
VGA monitor
CD-ROM drive

Try running the program compatibility wizard.

Collapse -
Current situation
by lfeder3 / February 28, 2008 1:52 AM PST

Sorry, Rick, my scanner is 4200c, not 3200c. Didn't realize I typed the wrong model in my first posting (I wondered why your answers referred to the 3200!)

My scanner is not connected. I never connected it since I got this computer, because I wasn?t able to install the software. I tried to reinstall the software and connect the scanner the other day, but since the ?Digital Signature? message still came up, I removed the software and disconnected the scanner again.

- My scanner is not connected
- The HP software does not appear in the Add/Remove Programs list
- The driver that I downloaded (which installed itself in a directory called sj655) is still on my computer and I don?t know how to uninstall it because no HP application shows up in the Add/Remove Programs list.

I just want to remove the message that comes up every time my computer is powered up, i.e.

?This program updates your HP Scanning Software. You may see a message about ?Digital Signature Not Found?. You must click ?Yes? for the software to install correctly.?

I would prefer to have the PrecisionScan LT software installed on my computer ? IF it functions, but if the only way to remove the Digital Signature message is by removing the PrecisionScan software, then I?ll remove it.

Collapse -
HP XP drivers
by anmor / February 27, 2008 5:55 AM PST
Collapse -
Which scanner?
by anmor / February 27, 2008 6:03 AM PST
In reply to: HP XP drivers

I just realised in your first post you say 3200C and in the next one you say 4200C.

Collapse -
by lfeder3 / February 28, 2008 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: Which scanner?

Sorry, must've been a typo in my first posting. My scanner is HP 4200c.

Collapse -
After I did all that research
by PudgyOne / February 28, 2008 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: 4200c

Drivers can be found here.

Before you install the drivers, try this.

Right click on start

Left click on explore

look for the program files folder and click the + sign

Look for the precision software or an HP folder. If you don't need or use these programs, delete the folder.

Restart your computer. Now run a registry cleaner and get rid of any remnants that may be left.

Restart your computer.

Now try to install the drivers, You'll be prompted when to connect the scanner. If you have the precision software, then try to install it using the Program Compatibility wizard found under Accessories.

Let us know what happens.

Collapse -
I give up
by lfeder3 / March 2, 2008 6:10 AM PST

I don't feel comfortable touching the registry, whether directly or thru a cleaner.
I can't install the drivers, because I'm unable to re-install the original software. It no longer seems to be accessible from the CD (message says it doesn't support win95 or NT).
At this point, I give up - for now. Will try to get someone to physically work on my computer to remove the Digital Signature message.
Thanks anyway for all your help, Rick.

Collapse -
Same Problem - fixed mine
by matayl / June 12, 2009 2:06 AM PDT

I was getting the same message. Got rid of it by merely removing the HP update program from the startup list.

Start > Run > msconfig > startup tab, uncheck the HP update program.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.