Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

HP Scanner No Longer Works with Snow Leopard

by CharPatton1 / September 15, 2009 5:25 AM PDT

Hi:

I just upgraded to Snow Leopard (OS 10.6.1). I have an HP DeskJet F4280 All-In-One. It used to work great under 10.5.x, but now it will print fine but not scan.

If I launch HP Device Manager, and double-click ?Scan Picture?, ?HP Scan Pro? window opens, but I get the following error: ?Sorry, scanner could not be initialized (Scanner not found.)?.

If I press the hardware ?Scan? button on the top of the unit itself, the power light blinks rapidly for about 10 seconds, then reverts to its normal state, and nothing else happens.

If I launch ?Image Capture? 6.0(424) I get this error: ?No camera or scanner connected?.

Under System Preferences>Print & Fax>Scan a window opens that reads ?HP Deskjet F4200 series? and I click on ?Scanner?, but it says ?No scanner selected?.

However, ?System Profiler? lists ?Deskjet F4200 series? under USB High-Speed Bus, and, as already mentioned, the printer works fine.

Any advice to get my scan function enabled again would be most gratefully appreciated. Thank you!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Scanner No Longer Works with Snow Leopard
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Scanner No Longer Works with Snow Leopard
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The HP software does not work under 10.6
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 15, 2009 11:25 AM PDT

Check the HP website for further details of their work around

Check under Drivers and Downloads

P

Collapse -
(NT) You can scan through Preview or Image Capture
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / September 16, 2009 5:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
Solution
by CharPatton1 / September 17, 2009 2:20 AM PDT
Collapse -
thank you
by omerben / August 4, 2010 1:50 AM PDT
In reply to: Solution

Thank you very much for your help.

Collapse -
HP PSC 1210 no longer works with Snow Leopard
by soonlar / September 29, 2009 11:11 AM PDT

This described problem is exactly the same as my all in one printer, HP PSC 1210. I will check out the Apple thread/link and report back if I can find a solution.

Collapse -
Tried Apple thread/ link - still no good
by soonlar / November 10, 2009 11:04 PM PST

I tried the steps in the Apple thread, doesn't work for my hp psc 1210 with my iMac 24 on snow lep. I unistalled all hp drivers, rebooted. I can't get the scanner to work with hp drivers, only printing.
Apple has another article stating to use the built in scanner app in snow lep. However I don't have any scanner tabs/buttons in system pref printers or image capture apps as it states I should.

I may try a clean install or consider a new scanner printer

Collapse -
If all else fails,
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 11, 2009 7:26 AM PST

take a look at a piece of software called VueScan.

There is a free trial period so if it does not work with your scanner, you are not out any money.

I use it on my Epson scanner but it supports hundreds of different brands and models

P

Collapse -
To omerben
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / May 29, 2010 10:40 PM PDT
In reply to: If all else fails,

That site is for Windows computers.

This is a Mac forum

You post was deleted

P

Collapse -
For help
by Linda Dewald / November 10, 2009 8:30 PM PST

I've got exactly the same problem!!

Collapse -
Then check out the link
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 10, 2009 10:05 PM PST
In reply to: For help

and read through the whole thread

P

Collapse -
HP Scanners and Snow Leopard - Solution
by Brunel2 / November 18, 2009 7:03 PM PST

Hi, CharPatton1

I had exactly the same problem so emailed HP. They replied with instructions which I could post here, if you like, but in a nutshell you need to go to applications and HP and click on Uninstaller and do it. Then go to HP support site and you will find a place to enter your all in one product number, and then you can download the updated software. You will need to reinstall your printer once you have installed the software and you will find that it all works again, brilliantly.

Good luck

Brunel2

Collapse -
Still not working
by yantola / August 7, 2010 5:04 AM PDT

I have had this problem on and off since purchasing a mac with Snow Leopard. Sometimes the scanner works; other times, the mac can't even recognize the scanner. I can always print and fax. I tried the suggestion to uninstall then download the drivers, etc. from HP Support. It has not solved the problem.

Any other suggestions?

Collapse -
Correction - works with a different utility
by yantola / August 7, 2010 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Still not working

Please disregard my previous post - I see now that I must use a different app to scan - "HP Scan" - which came with the new download.

Collapse -
You must update your Mac Software first
by sheilanawaz / September 5, 2010 4:42 AM PDT

Hi there - I just installed Snow Leopard and Scan Pro ceased working for me too. I read that the workaround is using Preview (which I like much better anyway). I tried that, though, and it didn't work at first.

I found that what I had to do was go to the Apple menu and then click software update. If there were any software updates available, I updated everything. I restarted the computer and then Preview was able to see the scanner and it worked.

So basically, your Mac software must all be up to the minute through Software Update. Like right up to the second. Then Preview will work with your scanner. Happy Worked for me anyhow. Take care.

Collapse -
Uninstalling and reinstalling worked for me!
by korces / October 2, 2010 2:27 PM PDT

Just wanted to post here that I tried the updates in Mac and that did not fix the problem, so I did the whole uninstall/reinstall thing. It worked!!! Yay!!!! I'm a novice at the inner workings of computers so if I could do it, then it must not be too difficult. At the end of the reinstall, a prompt came up automatically to reinstall my printer/fax/scanner. I have a Photosmart c309a. They did it for me essentially, so I'm a very happy camper now. Happy Thanks for this thread - my husband and I have been baffled by this problem for months now!

Collapse -
This comment was very useful!
by Roulston29 / February 4, 2013 2:18 AM PST

I just stumbled across this exact problem today and thanks to this message and finding it quickly - (for once!) - I was able to sort the problem out straight away. Thanks sheilanawaz Happy

Collapse -
HP Scanner No Longer Works with Snow Leopard
by fundraised / May 8, 2011 10:49 PM PDT

That's an easy fix.

Collapse -
Effortless Scanning with Snow Leopard
by erinn0220 / November 14, 2011 12:30 AM PST

Go to your Preview app on your Mac.
Click "File"
Click "Import from Scanner"
a window will open...
click "Scan"

Collapse -
Sounds suspiciously like the solution offered
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / November 14, 2011 9:17 AM PST

in the 3rd post of this thread

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.