Computer Help

General discussion

HP Recover Disk error

by mmiskill / March 5, 2010 12:04 PM PST

A friend of mine called me and told me he was getting a new computer. I asked him why, as I had done work for him on his box and it was relatively new. He said he had gotten a virus and rather than bother me, he had called HP Support. They charged him for a set of restore discs and sent them to him. He tried to do an install, with HP's support, and it failed. They then told him that he had a bad hard drive and had to send his tower in and they would replace the drive for $250 or they would sell him a factory restored model of his same computer for $350. I had him cancel the order. I tried to do an install and got the same error messages, even after a full wipe of the HD. I then pulled out an original MS version of his OS (Vista Home Premium) and it installed without a hitch using his product key. To sum it up, there was absolutely NOTHING wrong with his computer. It has since been upgraded to Windows 7 and has been running without a hitch. When I did an online search of the error (I'm sorry I can't recall the number of the error at the moment) I saw messages going back for at least a year. HP was maintaining that it was HD errors. At one point during my friend's support session with HP, they asked him for the numbers on the back of the sleeve for his Restore Discs, then assured him that that batch was OK. When we looked in the root folder of the Restore Discs after the fact, we saw that they contained patches. I maintain that this has been an ongoing problem with HP of which they are fully aware yet continue to deny, preferring to sell unsuspecting customers refurbished computers instead. I did contact their head office regarding this and was thanked and told it would be dealt with internally. Right! It sounds to me like HP has quite the scam going. Sell people corrupted Restore Discs, then upgrade them to a new computer when the discs fail to install. It sounds like a great way to move all of those returns. By the way, did I mention that my friend is 90 years old and homebound? His computer is his lifeline to the outside world.
Thanks for listening. I was extremely frustrated over this matter. It's nice to have a venue in which to air it out. We're not looking for any compensation of any kind, I just hate to see corporations get away with this kind of abuse.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Recover Disk error
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Recover Disk error
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
HP error update
by mmiskill / March 5, 2010 12:13 PM PST
In reply to: HP Recover Disk error

That error message was 1002.

Collapse -
just sounds like really bad tech support to me
by rafe CNET staff / March 9, 2010 5:41 AM PST
In reply to: HP Recover Disk error

Rather upsetting, but I really doubt it's an HP conspiracy.

Collapse -
i beg to differ
by margaux07 / April 2, 2010 3:21 AM PDT

HP IS REALY CORRUPT AND ITS NOT MY IMAGINATION. BETWEEN MY HAVING MY HARD DRIVE REMOVED BY A CONARTIST IN JAMAICA WI. AND REPLACED IT WTIH A 28 G HARD DRIVE. AND REPALCED PLATE TO MAKE IT LOOK LIKE ORIGINAL. MY SENDING MY LAPTOP TO HP AND THEM TELLING ME IT WOULD COST ME 1000 DOLLARS TO FIX IT. FINDING OUT IT WAS NO MORE THAN A DRIVER ISSUE. THEY LIED ANDSENT ME FAKE PHOTOS OF A WATER SPILL.IN BETWEEN DAMAGED MY KEY BOARDS.. WHO KNOWS IF THEY REMOVED HARD DRIVE.
IN ANY CASE I HAVE SAME ERROR PROBLEM AND IM WONDERING WHAT TO DO. I AM OUT OF WARANTEE WOULD BE GREAT TO HAVE A BOOTLEG COPY OF 7 . UPGRADE. ANY SUGGESTIONS WHAT TO DO.
IS IT POSSIBLE TO COPY BACK UP FILES FROM A FRIENDS COMPUTER TO MY HARD DRIVE AND REBOOT IT FROMTHAT AND UPGRADE TO SEVEN? O

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.