Laptops

General discussion

HP quickplay function

by AthrunZala32 / March 2, 2007 5:32 PM PST

hey there. Thanks for reading this thread.
I would to ask u ppl out there who use HP pavilion notebooks which have the QuickPlay function.I'm currently using a dv9000 series model.
And I was confused as when I pressed the QuickPlay button when the computer is off, the computer starts up and boots into windows with all startup programs fully loaded in which then the QuickPlay program launches. Correct me if Im wrong but isn't QuickPlay supposed to be able to play media files(mp3 and etc) without starting up the computer fully?
Is there a way to bypass the long startup wait?
thanks for any replies ^_^

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP quickplay function
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP quickplay function
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmmm....
by steve749 / March 3, 2007 12:56 AM PST
In reply to: HP quickplay function

Quickplay does boot the computer though it is supposed to be to a customized Linux O/S that will typically ask for a CD or DVD to be put in to play. Booting into Linux can still take a few seconds thought as there stuff to load into RAM.

I have a dv4000 model and my Quickplay works fine.

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
quickplay
by Stevel024 / March 3, 2007 1:16 AM PST

I think you need to have Windows XP Media Center Edition for quickplay to work, that was the case with my zd8000, but maybe with the new HP's, it doesn't matter, I'm not too sure, though, but I think you need Windows Media Center edition.

Collapse -
RE: hp quickplay
by marsdta / March 4, 2007 5:20 AM PST

hey i have the same problem... i talked to an hp rep and he said that quickplay is having some issues with vista, so it is not working how it did on XP. guess were gonna have to wait for an update

mars

Collapse -
there are two reasons you may be having this problem...
by x1342 / March 7, 2007 12:04 PM PST

a) you have vista. my friends compaq doesnt seem to be able to boot only to quickplay either

b) you removed or reformatted the restore partition like i did. this is where the linux OS stuff is stored, and when you get rid of that, quickplay has no other option but to boot all of windows first.

Collapse -
Quickplay
by thesims2b / March 13, 2007 3:02 AM PDT

This is the situation:

The early stages of Quickplay used a Linux partition and then HP moved to a scaled down version of Windows XP. You do not need media center to use quick play. If you want to use Quick Play with vista you may have to reinstall the quick play files which may mean re-installing Vista because quick play is picky about how you install it. I have 2 HP DV2025NR which came with Windows XP home. I did a clean install of Windows Vista Ultimate and used an install guide for xp from www.notebookreview.com to install quickplay and mine is working great. It loads the scaled down version of windows xp in order to play my quickplay content. Pleaes note I did upgrade my memory to 2GB in order to get better performance. I have the AMD Turion X2-tl-56 with the nvidia 6150 grapics. If you are getting a new one go with the Intel Core 2 Duo as the intel model has the option to get a better grapic card with dedicated graphic memory.

Collapse -
same problem
by x1800yolk / March 13, 2007 2:35 PM PDT

I have an hp pavilion dv4000 or other, and my quickplay doesn't work the way it's supposed to. The comp came with a quickplay installation cd, but when I tried to install it, it said that there wasn't enough memory. It was strange because the computer booted off of the cd, and everything was going fine, but for some reason it didn't work. I haven't called hp, because I'm sick of calling shooter reps. buenos suertes!

Collapse -
how do you keep the quickplay partition?
by dak25 / April 1, 2007 11:25 AM PDT

here is my problem/question. i have a dv9000core2duo and i want to make it dual boot. normally this wouldn't be a problem I have been using linux for over 12 years now. the question is how do i keep the quickplay working? if i install linux and keep windows ( it wont matter if i just used linux) how will i tell lilo (the linux boot loader) or any boot loader for that matter to see the quick play partition ??? and also if i write over the mbr during the linux install wont that mess up the quickplay button ?
i have looked at the quickplay partition with a live linux cd because it is hidden in windows but all it is is a fat partition that is just shy of 1 gig and it running a small copy of windows and windows media player. but how do i ensure that it keeps on working ?
also they have a patch for quickplay and vista on the hp website

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-46803-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189&os=228&lang=en

any one have any idea if changing the mbr matters or not, let me know please.

Collapse -
quickplay
by leetibbett / April 3, 2007 9:56 PM PDT

I have a dv8327cl, and I'm dual booting the original XP MCE and Ubuntu 6.10. Under Ubuntu most of the hardware works fine. The QuickPlay buttons don't work but all of the other buttons work. I am using grub as the boot loader, and it detected all the partitions when Ubuntu was installed. When starting up the machine with the QuickPlay buttons, it will come on and get grub going, but when I select the "XP Embedded" operating system I get a BSOD after the Windows splash screen. If I boot into Windows the QuickPlay buttons launch WMP.

A friend at work has a dv9000 series and he's working on dual booting Ubuntu 7.04 beta along side Vista Ultimate but running into some problems getting Ubuntu to load successfully every time. He either did not have QuickPlay or deleted it when he first got the laptop.

Collapse -
been doing some reading...
by dak25 / April 5, 2007 1:40 PM PDT
In reply to: quickplay

found a few ways to keep the quickplay button working (while the computer is off) and installing linux

also on a side note iv been reading and quickplay for some older laptops is based on linux im not sure how to get that to work with linux because my laptop is a dv9000t and my quickplay is using a mini copy windows and the stuff ill be posting here is mostly for the windows version of quickplay.

i found this on the hp website lastnight
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericSoftwareDownloadIndex?lc=en&cc=us&softwareitem=ob-29445-1

" QuickPlay Open Source Code Files (For Linux Development Purposes Only)
- Provides version 1.1 of the QuickPlay open source code files.

This package contains the open source code files for QuickPlay on the listed operating systems. This package is provided for Linux Development Purposes only. NOW mind you this is for computers that are running windows as their OS it's just the older version of quickplay that was using linux.

also if anyone knows how to get by the region code change limit with out having to flash the bios just due to the fact i dont want to void the warenty yet please post back here and let me know.

from what i have been reading their are two/three ways to do this ill start with what might be the more simple way

way #1 is to install lilo/grub on a usb drive (stick or hard drive) and have it boot off that

way #2 is to use the windows boot loader. it isnt hard to do (i havent done it yet and not sure if i will) im not normally a big windows user i have strickly been a linux/fbsd user for the past 11+ years but now for work i need windows for some biz clients i need windows, but also i need linux just do to the fact its more stable and more trusthworthy .

anyway here is some info i have gotten from other form posts. and it is in no order so bare with me.

this part is from this url http://www.notebookforums.com/thread141817-3.html

"Here's some interesting info...
http://forum.notebookreview.com/show....php?p=1318531

Look about 2/3 the way down... If not related to your needs, the link I'm sure will prove useful to those wanting to format their hard drive and do a fresh install.

If you choose to reinstall your own copy of Windows XP then beware for the task ahead of you. You need to make your own XP install CD using NLITE. You also need to backup the c:swsetup folder to a DVD. HP.com doesn't provide you with anything! You also need UAA drivers, which is nowhere to be found on any of the recovery DVDs orin swsetup folder.

http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/fi...reg_R1002_USEN "

i found some more info on the sidux website ( sidux is debian based linux that uses the latest unstable branch of debian. sid is really cool because it uses the latest software alot of people dont like debian because they endup using the "stable" branch of debian witch freezes all the packets just to keep it "stable" the idea behind that is the FBSD idea. in all honesty debian is one if not the best linux distro, alot of distros are based on debian, ubuntu to name one and ubuntu is good for starters, i really would advise people not to use linux distro's that use RPM package system such as RedHat SuSE and Mandrake to name a few, they are really messy and tend to have a lot of securty problems.

anyway.... from the sidux.com from i found this about the usb hard drive and the usb stick drive way of keeping quickplay working

"I'm considering buying a Buffalo 500GB USB Hardrive exactly for this purpose, I would like to install natively to my laptop, but installing Linux interferes with HP QuickPlay...

http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-47.html
( that form is all about quickplay and installing linux and keeping it working)
Therefore my two options are either install Linux on a USB HD or install the bootloader (Lilo/Grub) on a USB Pen Drive... I'm going for the former!"

METHOD NUMBER 2 ( using the windows boot loader program that is default that is already being used on your computer right now)

http://sidux.com/PNphpBB2-viewtopic-t-47.html

this was also taken from the sidux form that i posted above

"This is off the topic of USB boot and distro on USB

Nearly all buttons and keys that are pressed before the OS boots --
do not work with GRUB ( and probably don't work with anything but the Windows boot loader )

This means that if you want to use HP or Toshiba laptop buttons that play CDs or DVDs without booting the OS (actually they use a very minimal Linux that just plays CDs or DVDs ) you need to leave the MBR (Master Boot Record) alone and boot from the Windows Boot Loader

This applies to Dell computers that use a key to get to a diagnostic or recovery partition as well.

These keys are not really that useful. Most of us have diagnostic and recovery tools and we don't often want to play CDs or DVDs without booting ...

It actually isn't hard to boot from the Windows boot loader -- Microsoft even has an article on it and there are many articles on the web. This is just different from the instructions that accompany a Linux .iso file.

Here's one of the simplest explanations

http://www.mepis.org/docs/en/index.php/ ... indows_MBR

Mike"

anyway i hope this has helped

some other form sites that have talked about this are

http://forum.notebookreview.com/showthread.php?t=92069

http://www.winimage.com/bootpart.htm
this is used for changing the windows boot loader files, i suggest you read it all before you try it.

http://www.notebookforums.com/thread141817-9.html

ill be checking back on this form every now and then to see what else has come up and stuff, i bet even if you have installed linux with lilo/grub on the mbr and you didnt delete the windows copy of the quick play function you can get it back by using the windows bootloader altho im not sure but it would make sense and also i was using a live linux cd knoppix just to look around at the windows boot.ini file, ill come back on when i boot back into it with the live cd and post those files from the boot.ini incase one has lost them and if you really want. and if you want to get ahold of me email me at dutsjunk@gmail.com

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?t=392176

Collapse -
HP is worthless
by Duffnick / April 12, 2007 7:22 AM PDT

From what I can ascertain, this is a problem HP is having with the new Vista operating system. I purchased a new DV9317cl from Sam's Club and the quick play feature did not work out of the box. I was on the phone with HP for over four hours and they never did get the problem resolved. I thought perhaps it is unique to my laptop I had bought, so I went to Staples, Best Buy and Fry electronics and all of the computers they hadn't out for demonstration did not exhibit quick play functionality, and none of them could explain why (god help whoever enlists the help of the geek squad, as they were making up some seriously weird stuff to explain it). I called HP presales, and they explained to me how quick play with supposed to work, I told them it didn't work that way any longer and they suggested I contact tech support. When I contacted tech support he put me on hold for about five minutes and finally came back and said quick play doesn't work like I think it should that it does boot to the operating system. I asked how is that any different from any computer that you're attempting to play a DVD in, he had no answer. I called HP corporate in California, the lady connected me with executive customer service, they wouldn't even answer the phone, I had to leave them a message and I have not heard back from them yet; probably never will. Who knows when and if HP will ever correct this problem. At this time it sure doesn't seem as though they care.

Collapse -
Okay What about this
by thesims2b / April 13, 2007 2:07 AM PDT
In reply to: HP is worthless

Okay I have the HP Pavilion DV2025NR it has xp home on it with quickplay working fine. I got my upgrade to Vista Home premium from best buy store. If I do an upgrade and leave the Quckplay partition will my quickplay still boot into the windows xp limitted partition when I hit the quick play button while the computer is powered off.

Collapse -
man
by dak25 / April 14, 2007 3:20 AM PDT

i feel bad for you buying that thing at sams club. did you check hp's website? i called them up when i orderd my laptop and ended up saving like 400 bucks just by talking to them i just find buying a computer from a 3rd party store ( compusa bestbuy samsclub) is never the way to go..

Collapse -
update for quickplay for vista
by dak25 / April 14, 2007 3:25 AM PDT
In reply to: man
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-46803-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=1842189&os=228&lang=en

Description

This package contains a fix that restores HP QuickPlay Boot functionality. HP QuickPlay Boot enables users to start movies and music instantly. However, if the Recovery Partition has been removed from the notebook using PC Recovery, HPQuickPlay Boot no longer functions correctly. Installing this package restores HP QuickPlay Boot functionality.

PURPOSE: Routine
Collapse -
Link had no vista update
by clip56 / April 28, 2007 3:20 PM PDT

The link seemed to take me to some XP fixes.

Collapse -
where do you call?
by tepeque / April 20, 2007 3:16 AM PDT
In reply to: man

hey man, where did you call, and how much was the original price of your computer and how much did you ending paying?

and wich especf. yout computer has,

i am askig all this cuse, i want to buy today one at sams club too

thank you

Collapse -
also update for quickplay for vista...
by dak25 / April 14, 2007 3:22 AM PDT
Collapse -
Won't work
by Duffnick / April 15, 2007 5:50 AM PDT

When the HP Tech support person took control of my pc he tried to apply that patch and it would not run in Vista. If you read the patch it does not say it includes Vista. He then tried to restore Quickplay functionality by doing an HP restore on just Quickplay itself, that didn't work either. That's when they had me do a complete restore and that didn't work. Then I took it back to Sam's Club.

Thanks to Man and his post, if and when I buy one of these again I will call HP and talk to them.

Collapse -
Re: also update for quickplay for vista.
by dwolden / October 27, 2007 6:48 AM PDT

The link you provided has no download on that page, in fact, it has no information. All it says is:

Step 1: Do you need to update?

Release Date:

Version:

Step 2: Does your system meet the following?

Operating system(s):

Download file size:

Step 3: Obtain software:

* Download file(s) to install later:

By downloading, you agree to the terms and conditions of the HP software licensing agreement

Collapse -
Hp Quickplay stops responding on DV9000T with Vista Ultimate
by jnoller / June 8, 2007 3:21 AM PDT

I bought a brand new DV9000T with Vista Ultimate for my daughter for college. I had to use the Restore DVD as there was an issue- the restore worked fine except for a very strange quirk- On the initial Profile which restored first Hp Quickplay works fine. I created a second account called Admin2 in case she ever has a corrupted profile so she has a backup. When I go into this new account (does have Admin rights) and start Hp Quickplay it immediately stops responding.
I restored the notebook again completely and the same exact thing happens. Her primary account works fine with Hp Quickplay but the 2nd account still has a problem when I start quickplay - it stops responding. I uninstalled it and reinstalled from recovery partition and it does the same thing. At least QUICKPLAY works on her Primary account- but it should work on both accounts. I wanted a "mirror" image on the 2nd account in the event her 1st ever has an uncorrectable problem. ANy ideas? I hate talking to HP Support as they are very hard to speak to and ask the same questions over and over- very poor IT support. Any ideas guys?

Collapse -
soltion to quickplay not working
by urmom71694 / June 14, 2008 11:16 AM PDT

If your computer has an AMD processor, it won't work no matter what. It dissapoints me that hp would do that...especially since there are some people like me who dislike intel processors

Collapse -
I have the same prob
by ghtyvn / June 16, 2008 5:15 AM PDT

I have the Same Prob

But I have found that HP's are mostly Garbage

And so Iz Vista

So this is issue is to be expected

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.