Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

HP psc 1200

by Carazara / May 18, 2005 8:28 PM PDT

I wanted a basic 3 in 1 so I opted for the HP 1200. Nothing fancy. However, I can get the copier and printer to work no probs. But I can't get the scanner to work. I've tried updating drivers, uninstalling/reinstalling time and time again. I'm on Windows XP Professional. Can anyone help (easy speak please!).

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP psc 1200
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP psc 1200
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
The copier works by scanning the page
by glb613 / May 18, 2005 9:39 PM PDT
In reply to: HP psc 1200

so the scanner is working. What exactly are you trying to do? Use the scan button on the machine? Do you open the HP program and try to scan from there? How did you install the unit? It is very fussy and the software must be installed first. When prompted, you plug in the USB cable. If you didn't do it this way, uninstall the software and start over.

Collapse -
HP 3 in 1
by Carazara / May 19, 2005 10:45 PM PDT

Thanks for answering, but yes - I've done everything by the book but the scanner won't work. I get the message "An error occurred communicating with the scanning device. Please ensure that the scanning device is connected properly and try again". I've got the right cable, installed in exactly the way the instructions say (plus uninstalling). I've got the 5 icons up which I'm supposed to have in the HP Director. I've updated drivers, etc, etc, etc. The scanner still won't talk to WindowsXP. This is my 2nd 3 in 1 (Lexmark being the first) and no probs UNTIL WindowsXP (Professional). I've been to different forums but the general consensus seems to be that WindowsXP is riddled with problems like this. Although not particularly technical, I can do the basics (as I think of them), like installing, updating drivers, etc. I wouldn't be able to build a PC though!!

Collapse -
HP 3 in 1
by lions / May 22, 2005 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: HP 3 in 1

Try and replaced the USB cable.Despite the fact is new I saw it in the past causing problems.I think for few dollars it's worth to try.

Collapse -
HP 3 in 1
by Carazara / May 25, 2005 9:52 AM PDT

Thanks for replying. I did buy a new cable - that was the first thing I tried. Can't think of what else to do! I've checked the Director and gone into the scan settings but all it keeps saying is that it's unable to communicate, etc. Yet the printer and copier functions work fine. Grrrr!!!

Collapse -
I had that all-in-one
by glb613 / May 22, 2005 2:18 AM PDT

connected to a computer using XP and it worked just fine. So having XP isn't the reason it won't work properly. You still didn't answer my question about using the buttons. Is that how you are trying to make it work? If you are using the programs, have you checked to make sure the source is set properly? Open HP director and check all of the settings.

Collapse -
HP 3 in 1
by Carazara / May 25, 2005 9:57 AM PDT
In reply to: I had that all-in-one

Thanks for replying. I've tried using both, ie buttons and tried Director. However, when I've checked scan settings on the director it's still coming up with the message "...unable to communicate with device. Please check connection", etc. Which I've done time and time again. One of the first things I did was to buy a new cable too, but it made no difference. Very strange. I've been to HP website and gone through their driver checks, etc, but again nothing I do makes a difference.

Collapse -
HP all in One Problem
by Fire1946 / May 25, 2005 4:04 PM PDT

I have constantly kind of the same problem with HP OfficeJet Pro 1150C. I am running 3 laptops with Win XP (2 XP Prof and 1 XP home..same problem with all of them!). HP is either unwilling or unable to update the drivers so that they are working with the constant WinXP updates! Their website gives you only gobbledygook answers, if at all. It helped a little bit to uninstall the printer completely and reinstall it. Should you still have warranty, call HP,give them hell and/or return the printer; they are presently loosing their prime position in the printers market and are, hopefully, eager to get it back!

Collapse -
Have you tried any other program to scan?
by glb613 / May 25, 2005 8:23 PM PDT

They only way to copy is to scan the document. So the unit can scan, it just isn't scanning through that part of the program.

Try having your unit on and go to the control panel then scanners and cameras. See if it will scan using XPs program and post back.

Collapse -
HP 1200 psc
by Carazara / June 2, 2005 10:13 AM PDT

Thanks for replying. I've currently uninstalled the psc with the aim of reinstalling again over the weekend. I'll try your suggestions (and what you said about part of the scanner working because to print it has to scan, etc) made a lot of sense to me believe it or not! It helps a novice to understand more about how things work (or don't). I'm really not impressed with WindowsXP though. I didn't have any problems like this with 2000 I have to say. I have been to HP's site and tried updating drivers but still the problem persists. However, let's have one more go before I open the window.....!

Collapse -
I hope it works
by glb613 / June 2, 2005 8:59 PM PDT
In reply to: HP 1200 psc

I have the HP 1350 model which is very similar to yours. I also had the HP 1215 model and both worked with XP. Why your unit doesn't, I'm not sure. One suggestion from XP's web site it to try using a different USB port when you install it again.

Collapse -
HP PSC 1200 Series Scanning Problems
by mooneye / June 2, 2005 11:19 PM PDT

Hi,

The answer to this problem is on an obscure location of the PC Corporate Support pages. In short, what you need is a file called EZinstall that you run with your HP software disk in your CD drive. It will install the drivers without the added HP software that seems to conflict with Windows XP. As far as I know, HP has no plans to release a new software package for the PSC 1200. If you email me at mooneye@mocha.ne.jp I will be glad to send you the EZinstall file. BTW, I cannot be responsible for detailed directions and a guarantee to make this work. I am just another user and am willing to help out a little but don't have unlimited time.

Collapse -
EZInstall?
by thtwassick / June 15, 2006 12:27 PM PDT

Mooneye, tried e-mailing you per your address in your post, but the e-mail bounced back. W

hat's up with EZInstall? How does it help?

I'm suffering the same exact problem with my HP1200PSC. It copies fine, therefore the scanner indeed scans documents before printing them out, but it will not function as a stand-alone scanner.

Thanks!

Collapse -
From HP Site is this for HP1200 psc (Europe)
by DarCLew2 / June 15, 2006 3:45 PM PDT

First the link: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=240978&lang=en&docname=bpu05214

When the all-in-one is turned on and connected, follow the steps below to see if this is the problem:
Right-click My Computer (click Start first in Windows XP) and then click Properties.
Open the Device Manager:
Windows 98 and Me: Select the Device Manager tab.
Windows 2000 and XP: Select the Hardware tab, and then click Device Manager.
Locate the Imaging Device entry and click the plus (+) beside it. It may have an exclamation mark beside it.
Right-click the all-in-one entry under Imaging Devices, and then click Properties.
A Properties screen will open. Look at the Device status section.
If the Device status reads, ?This device is working properly?, the computer probably does not have a virus problem. Continue to the next step.
If the Device status reads ?code 19? or ?code 28? error, there is a good chance that there is a virus on the computer. Follow the directions in HP document Resolving the Error Message 'Class Installer Has Denied the Request to Install or Update the Driver' (bpu00740) to remove the virus and resolve the problem. It was lengthy. Darrell Lewis

Collapse -
you are not alone- CNET forums | Peripherals forum is:
by DarCLew2 / June 16, 2006 6:29 AM PDT

HP LaserJet 1220 all-in-one scanning problem
Just obtained a 1200 series HP laserjet all in one printer (print,copy,scan)... everything works fine except the scan. I press the scan button on the machine and it does nothing. I am knowledgable in drivers and WinXP and have tried everything to get it to work. Unistall, Reinstall, Update driver, Download drivers... nothing.
I saw a previous post that said I needed to install EZinstall because of driver conflicts, have done that and am not sure how to use it. Any help is appreciated.
Once again I have Windows XP, SP2, 1220 HP LaserJet with the Copy/Scan attatchment connected through USB.
Posted by: newyorker3310
Submitted by Darrell Lewis

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.