Laptops

Question

HP Probook - plugged in NOT charging

by bs1105oh / August 23, 2011 7:44 AM PDT

PLEASE HELP !

I have a HP ProBook 4530s Notebook PC - Intel Core i3-2310M 2.10GHz, 4GB DDR3, 320GB HDD, DVDRW, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I plugged it in to charge the battery overnight and the system doesn't recognize the power supply. The charging light does not light up and the battery indicator on the taskbar doesn't react to the a/c power.

I tried the charger on another laptop and it is fine.

I quickly shut-down so i could find a fix before the battery dies. My 30day tiger direct guarentee is over. Had laptop for 2 months.

PLEASE HELP !

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Probook - plugged in NOT charging
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Probook - plugged in NOT charging
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Well inside the warranty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2011 7:46 AM PDT

It's back to HP.COM and try their chat line.

Be sure to NEVER tell anyone you used other than the HP adapters.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
HP Warranty
by SoMeAmChristina / August 25, 2011 6:54 AM PDT

I would recommend contacting HP. You should have some type of warranty if you just purchased the product. If you need any assistance in doing so please email me your product and contact information at psgsocialmedia@hp.com. Please include in the subject line Attn: Veronica-Cnet.

"The views expressed in my contributions are my own and do not necessarily reflect the views and strategy of HP"

Collapse -
Answer
Hp probook 4530s charging issue
by Brickcity15989 / August 6, 2012 9:33 AM PDT

MY probook 4530s is doin the same thing, laptop will not reconize the power adapter and only wants to work off battery, battery died and could not recharge the unit. i had taken the battery out and still nothing. so then i unplug the
power to and plug it bake it and it work. after booting to windows i put thebattery back in and it say my battery is dieing. so it does not know that the power adapter is plug in when the battery is and will not charge. step 2 that i decided to look into is to see if the bios needed to be updated , i started the bios installer and it told me that the power adapter needed to be plug in, but the battery is out and the power adapter is what powering the unit. .
Seems to be a problem with Bios not reconizing that the power adapter is plug up and will not charge the battery, alson if you plug in the battery and then take it out while the power adapter is plug up it shutdown , does not reconize the power dapter. if you want toget the unit to come on so you can use it untill you get it fix take battery out and unpug power adapter. then plug the power adapter bak up and it should come on. to get it to charge you have to keep puting the battery in and out while windows in loaded and sometime the orange charge light will come on. but once you unplug the power adapter same issue. the bios chip firmware either need to be reinstaled and updated or you bio chip had a defect in it. which HP does know about. your pc is still under waranty, call them asap they will send out a box to have the unit fix without now charge. just make sure ou bak up all of you data or remove hard drive is it does not voide the warenty

Collapse -
Answer
I Just fixed this on my own probook.
by seankenna / March 1, 2013 8:54 AM PST

It's actually a very simple solution, take rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball and dab rubbing alcohol on the connection points from the computer to the battery (the golden colored metal strips where you battery connects to the computer), then reconnect the battery and plug the computer in and it should turn on!

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.