HP forum

Rant

HP Printer Customer Support

by Cybesq / February 8, 2013 4:43 AM PST

My father is in his 80's. He was having printer issues, HP convinced him to buy new ink. When that failed to fix the problem (he now has $70 of worthless new ink), they convinced me to buy him a new "refurbished" printer at a "special price" for loyal HP customers (the old printer was 3 years old). We also bought the extended warranty. The new "refurbished" printer worked for a little over a month and then it also indicated low ink. My father called HP, they told him he probably needed new ink, again. He ordered new ink and of course that did not fix the problem. Then HP told us they would send a replacement. They did. To me (and not my dad) on the other side of the country. I am now 4 hours into customer service calls, transferred five times. One customer service rep told me that the problem was Windows related issues are handled out of customer service in Mexico, while Mac is handled in Canada. Apparently you can blame on operating system for sending something to wrong address. Complete incompetent clowns.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Printer Customer Support
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Printer Customer Support
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
We are not helping ourselves here.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 4:48 AM PST

In the past we would take such to a shop or have our IT staffer come over to try such out. Today folk want a correct diagnosis without letting a tech see the bad devices and will lash out at anyone that helps or tries to help.

We brought this on ourselves with the lower costs. You can get a printer for 99 bucks so why is there any doubt it's not the Apple/PC at issue here? Did they find local support?
Bob

Collapse -
Huh?
by Cybesq / February 8, 2013 5:36 AM PST

Are you kidding me? My dad is a retired doctor who spent his life taking care of people. He doesn't have his own IT staffer. When he calls customer support, he's not "folk" who wants a correct diagnosis without inspection, he's a guy who has a printer that doesn't work with an extended warranty. How about a customer service rep who says, "Gee, maybe someone should look at that" and not "give your credit card so I can charge you for you more ink you won't need because I don't have the ability to solve this problem over the phone from India."

Are you going to make excuses for the HP customer service reps who can't solve the problem of a printer being sent to the wrong location after 4 hours on the phone? Maybe I should call my IT staffer to come pack it up and take care of it for him.

We brought this on ourselves? In what universe? Lower prices are just a way to sell a crappier product and then hope you can beat down the customer who has a problem long enough that he just buys a new one.

Collapse -
In this universe.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 8, 2013 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Huh?

We are getting rock bottom prices and support that is minimal at best. Back when doctors and such made house calls, it was more expensive but you would see a much better job than what you see today. Today it's cheaper to buy a new PC than fix it.

So which way to go now? Consumers have voted for lower prices and pay as you go support.

Here you see a classic support failure but at no time did any tech get to see the setup.

Would your doctor treat a patient without seeing them?
Bob

Collapse -
Human vs. Printer
by Cybesq / February 8, 2013 8:19 AM PST
In reply to: In this universe.

The analogy doesn't really hold up. There is no physician extended warranty number to call, and if you call a doctor with a problem, they schedule an appointment or make sure you visit an emergency room. They don't take your credit card from another country and send you medicine. If they do, they go to jail.

Consumers have not voted for any such thing. Consider yourself conned. People pay more for Apple products, specifically because of the customer service. People will pay more for quality items and service and it is the companies, not consumers that made the decision, quick sales, poor customer service, and crap products for higher profit. There is no excuse for providing customers with a product at any price that does suit its intended purpose in 2 months. If you are only going to offer "pay as you go support" then don't charge for an extended warranty and don't upsell products when you pretend its customer support.

The behavior of HP is inexcusable. I find it reprehensible, especially given that they are taking advantage of a senior.

How long have you worked for HP?

Collapse -
Then you are saying?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 9, 2013 1:50 AM PST
In reply to: Human vs. Printer

That HP must never make a guess that it's the printer and have it replaced?

That is, the only good service would be to send out the techs and charge accordingly?

-> I hear you loud and clear but look again. We asked for this. We will not pay for good service. We expect it but won't pay so here we are.
Bob

Collapse -
Guessing
by Cybesq / February 11, 2013 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Then you are saying?

Wow, you are really bending over backwards to give HP the benefit of the doubt aren't you? I hope you get a nice Christmas bonus or at least a gold star on your report card.

"HP must never made a guess that it's the printer and have it replaced"?

Yes, they should err on the side of the consumer (think Apple Care concept). If a printer is less than two months old, the tech rep should ask how much printing has been done. If the answer (as was the case here), my father told them that he printed less than 20 total pages, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to determine that it is probably the printer. Instead HP makes the decision to sell a vulnerable and not tech savy senior citizen more ink, and then when that doesn't work then they offer to replace the printer (and then send it to the wrong place).

"We will not pay for good service". Wrong. We buy extended warranties on $99 dollar products specifically as a way to try and get good service.

You can post all day long, but you also avoid every tough question and only answer the easy ones. Do you think HP is running competently or efficiently when they Fed Ex manuals to one side of the country and the printer to the other? Or how about when they can't return a phone call that would have saved them return expedited shipping, TWICE? They pass that incompetence and cost down to the consumer. If they had competent customer service, they could save enough money to offer good service.

Meg Whitman is apparently just as big a failure at running HP as she was trying to get elected in California. Must be the leadership.

Collapse -
I wish it was that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 11, 2013 5:40 AM PST
In reply to: Guessing

My HP story is about a new laptop that had problems since day 1. At 3 months it went to service and never worked again. HP walked on the warranty.

I'm not defending them at all but commenting how the industry and the consumers changed. I can't see where HP didn't try hard here. But there are limits to what they can do without seeing the printer and entire system.

HP didn't sell the Apple computer and Apple didn't make the HP printer so we are left with a no-man's land of support.

-> HP has deep problems as they only need to rip off the wrong person and their will be another suit. I'd join it.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.