Mac Hardware forum

General discussion

HP Photosmart C4500 will not scan.

by 41hijinx / October 17, 2009 11:14 PM PDT

I have 13" MacBookPro running 10.6.1 with 4 G Ram. My HP Photosmart C4500 All-In-One will print but will not scan. I have unplugged the USB cable and uninstalled and reinstalled the driver to no avail. I have tried to scan from both the unit itself and the scan software on my laptop. I get messages like "an unknown error occurred, or "can't find scanner". When you look in the 4500s window it appears to be scanning but nothing happens. Any ideas? It seems to have stumped HP help so far!

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Photosmart C4500 will not scan.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Photosmart C4500 will not scan.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Try Preview
by cnetfollower / October 23, 2009 2:34 AM PDT

Remember that Snow Leopard does NOT use the HP applications that Leopard used.

You should uninstal all the previous drivers and HP utilities and let Snow Leopard instal the current HP drivers. Then you will find the scan function is supported by Preview (file>Import from Scanner).

Collapse -
Please clarify
by 41hijinx / October 25, 2009 2:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Try Preview

Thank you for your response but I need a little more explanation. Are you saying I should uninstall the HP driver and download a current driver from HP? I posted my problem on the HP web site but received no answers. When I go to Software Update it says all my software is current. The Genius Bar at the local Apple store could not help. When they hooked up their laptop to my HP C4580 the got the same error message "unkown error occurred" and this is when they configured it for wireless. Please advise.

Collapse -
Go to printers and fax
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 25, 2009 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Please clarify

remove the printer from the list.

Add the printer back into the list and let OS X install the drivers.

Open Preview, choose, File > Import from Scanner and you will find that it now works.

ALL of the HP scanning software does not work in Snow Leopard.

Blame HP

P

Collapse -
It works!
by 41hijinx / October 25, 2009 8:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Go to printers and fax

Thanks for your guidance. Here is what I did; System preferences....printers and scanners....opened HP scanner....hit scan button.. scanned to desktop and sure enough it works! I did not have to delete or reinstall anything. Thanks again!

Collapse -
Correction
by 41hijinx / October 25, 2009 9:27 PM PDT
In reply to: It works!

I mean to say: System Preferences.... print and fax..etc. etc...

Collapse -
(NT) Great, now get scanning!
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / October 26, 2009 2:10 AM PDT
In reply to: Correction
Collapse -
Eureka!!!
by dickmcguinness / September 13, 2011 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Go to printers and fax

Just tried to scan on my iMac that I had done many times before and got the 'unknown error' message. Was lucky enough to look at cnet and found this and it works!!
One difference is that I didn't remove or reinstall anything, just went into to System Preferences, chose printer/fax and continued.
Thanks loads.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.