HP forum

General discussion

HP Photosmart 2575 Problem

by ppdjoy / June 7, 2010 7:43 AM PDT

I've been using my HP Photosmart 2575 for almost 5 years now. Initially, I was using it with my old Dell desktop computer, running Windows XP. Last year, I bought a Dell Ubuntu desktop. Since then, I've been using the printer with Ubuntu. Recently, I've upgraded to Ubuntu 10.04. Since then, I've been having issues in terms of printing with this printer.

Every time I try to print something, about half or less or sometimes more of the full content is printed. But not the full content in one shot. Last time, I had to print a 3-page essay for which I had to waste more than 10 pages. Each time I tried in that instance, I just kept on wasting papers. Today, I had to print some pages which were in legal sizes (8.5 X 14 inch). I have never tried legal pages before. But this 8 page document led to more than 20 wasted papers. I'm thankful I was eventually able to print them.

I tried to install the installation CD of HP on my IBM Thinkpad T61 laptop, running Windows XP Professional SP3. But that also hindered in my luck! The CD is empty. I don't know how it happened. I installed it in my previous laptop once but this time around there was nothing in that CD. This is the same CD that came from HP initially which I installed for the first time on my Dell Windows XP desktop.

Below is a screenshot of what shows up when this occurs:

I tried the "Diagnostic" method. But each time I try that, I have to "Enable" the printer which seems to be the troubleshooting solution from that method. But after I "Enable" it, the current paper which is half-way in the printer comes out with half of what is printed. Then, the printer asks for more papers to print since I've clicked to "Enable" the printer.

PLEASE give me some solutions to this problem. Otherwise, I might have to order a new printer.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Photosmart 2575 Problem
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Photosmart 2575 Problem
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What you need to know.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2010 12:30 AM PDT

Is that consumer printers are 2 year affairs. And consumer electronics are 5 year designs.

Count your lucky stars you got so many good years and move onto your next printer.

Collapse -
Re: HP Photosmart 2575 Problem
by ppdjoy / June 8, 2010 8:22 AM PDT
In reply to: What you need to know.

Would've liked some answers with solutions. But I guess, there is no solution for this problem.

Collapse -
Let's ask HP?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2010 12:11 AM PDT

Ask them how much for repair. What we find out is that the repair often exceeds the cost of a new printer.

Still unhappy? Try http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=fix+your+own+printer but beware. I have yet to see anyone succeed except with the usual rubber rollers and the real simple things. Many can't accept that buying a part does not mean they'll help you install it. (Think about auto parts and same story.)

Collapse -
by ppdjoy / June 9, 2010 4:32 AM PDT
In reply to: Let's ask HP?

I guess, I'll get a new printer then. Actually, this was my first printer. So, I don't know how long they usually last.

By the way, what would you suggest? An HP? or Lexmark?
I want an all-in-one printer (print, photo, scan, copy). My budget would be around $50-80.

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 9, 2010 6:38 AM PDT

But in the consumer line of that price you will get the usual 2 year machine. Your old printer at five years is a standout.

Here I stick with the slightly higher up models. The HP k550 of ours hit 6 years then needed print heads. Print head are user replaceable but cost as much as a new k5400. But that's not an all in one so it fails your criteria.

For me I wanted a wifi printer. HP was my first try with the c4780. A day later and I had to use all I know about wifi setup to get it to print. I later didn't want to print over wifi so back to USB and I got some input from another Moderator about the Canon mx870. Now that one just installed in 15 minutes and works fine. But it's outside your budget but it does it all including fax.

We'll see how well it ages.

Collapse -
by ppdjoy / June 10, 2010 12:01 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry

I'll look into the HP Photosmart C4780 more. Actually, I just want my printer to be able to print (frequently), photo-print (rarely), scan (somewhat frequently), & copy (somewhat frequently).

What would you suggest for such tasks in $50-80?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 10, 2010 9:56 PM PDT

It's wifi setup was slow, didn't work well and it prints slowly compared to our older k550 and new Canon. This is on my do not consider list or "not ready for the market."

There are many all in ones at 50 to 80 bucks but it seems a shame to have to buy a new one every two years.

Collapse -
by ppdjoy / June 11, 2010 10:08 AM PDT

I'm thinking now that maybe I should buy printer during Black Friday sale. I heard printers like all-in-one which are about $50-$80 are sold for about $20-$30. Is that true? If it is, I think I'll get new printers every 2-3 years.

Otherwise, I might have to look into other options.

Collapse -
You can bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 11, 2010 1:07 PM PDT

I think a Target had some HPEPSONLEXCONANOBRIANCOLBERT printer AIO but your bet is one you'll have to wait and see.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.