Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Peripherals

Resolved Question

HP Personal Media Drive not recognized

by DoctorOFDoom / February 25, 2013 8:54 AM PST
HP Personal Media Drive Model No. hd7500sHP HDX18T CTO Laptop
4GB DDR2 RAM
119 GB SSD Hard Drive C:
465 GB Analog Hard drive D:
USB2 ports

When using my "back up" drive command my laptop does not recognize my HP Personal Media Drive. It offers me to back up to my D: drive which is alrealy almost filled up with movies.....and a E: drive which is my DVD player ....
My HP Personal Media Drive is simply not recognized on a drive even under the Windows Explorer which recognizes my devices.
...Should I check my ports? they do work with my Wireless Platronic headphones and Targus Chill mat both is which use the other USB ports.

What am I doing wrong.. even my EaseUs Todo Back up program does not recognize the HP Personal Media Drive.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Personal Media Drive not recognized
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Personal Media Drive not recognized
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by DoctorOFDoom

Collapse -
Those externals can fail.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 9:04 AM PST

Ask your friends to test that drive. If it's out of warranty you should replace it.
Bob

Collapse -
It is out of warranty :(
by DoctorOFDoom / February 25, 2013 9:19 AM PST

Bob,

Yes, it is about 4 years old and out of warranty...seems a crying shame since I never got to back up anything on it. I spent alot of money for nothing. I will take it into Best Buy Geek squad and if they do mechnical tests on it and find it is truly damaged I will just buy another external hard drive this time an SSD IF they sell SSD external hard drives with large capacity...in the meantime, I have to find a way to unload large sections of my SSD C: drive It is now down to 6.82 GB free of a 119 GB capacity....

I do wonder if my Windows 7 32 bit operating system is to blame for any of this..????

Collapse -
That's why you let a friend test it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 25, 2013 9:25 AM PST

And 4 years is a very long time for an external. Sounds like it did well.

By the way, if it's like all other externals it's a drive in a case and a cable. THREE PARTS. You can replace the part that failed. For me I carry a cable in my recovery kit that I can test the drive with. Here it is.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=2020

I do that so often I don't give it much thought.

Why would you consider SSD for an external? Sounds pricey and for now, still don't trust that media.
Bob

Collapse -
SSD fool proof..
by DoctorOFDoom / February 25, 2013 3:56 PM PST

Bob,

I was told the Solid state drives are much much harder to ruin than the standard drive.That is why I want one. for storage. I have ruined so many standard hard drives I got sick of them. So far the Solid states is doing very well...

Do you have a different opinion about them ??

Collapse -
SSD has its own issues
by Willy / February 26, 2013 12:34 AM PST
In reply to: SSD fool proof..

If you use your old ext. HDs as in frequent in/out use of storage it may succumb to the same hassles of failure. If on the other hand, you simply store data it may work out OK. Also, if older HDs were handled wrongly or got roughed-up then that too is why older HD tend to fail. While SSD may provide use in that situation, look-up the "TRIM cmd." to see why SSD can fail. Also, the same proper handling and placement of ext. HD still apply. review all the horror stories and see why externals fail by the cat(pets), kids, falls, storms or long use even.

tada -----Willy Happy

Collapse -
And again, recovery is almost impossible on SSD.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 12:55 AM PST
In reply to: SSD fool proof..
Collapse -
Yes
by DoctorOFDoom / February 26, 2013 3:53 AM PST
Yes.. I want a single device that stores files and will not fail.Are all these 3 Terrabyte Western Digital My Book Essential USB 3.0/2.0 External Hard drives that Best Buy sells... my only practical choice ?

Thanks for your input....
Collapse -
I want that!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 26, 2013 4:17 AM PST
In reply to: Yes
Collapse -
Will do
by DoctorOFDoom / February 26, 2013 8:01 AM PST
In reply to: I want that!

Bob,

I will check these things trust me I will.
Thanks for all your help.. I will close this topic now...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.