Computer Help forum

General discussion

Hp Pavillion Dv9925Nr Bios Update Fail - Won't Start

by adelina_t / November 2, 2012 9:47 PM PDT

Before anything else, this is my first post here so I ask the moderators to please move this thread in case I have not posted in the correct area. I apologize for any inconvenience.

Now, for the problem. I have a HP Pavillion dv9925nr notebook. Yesterday I made a BIOS update , because I saw that HP recommended it. The update was done to F.34, the latest they have posted on their site. I have to mention here that I have done another BIOS update 2 years ago , I think, and it went just fine.

After yesterdays update the computer wouldn't start.
I have to mention that I've read since yesterday a lot of topics regarding this problem, here and on other forums, the reason I am asking is that none apply to the specific behavior of my computer.

After the BIOS update, a dialog prompted and said the computer will now shut down. Not restart, shut down. Now, windows did indeed shut down , but the computer didn't. It started making the one long beep two short beeps pattern and the CAPS LOCK light blinking. If I tried to stop it using the power button it would's stop but it just turned on by itself again. The only way to stop it was taking out the battery.

The specific (weird ) behavior is that, if it has the power chord in, it won't start despite me pushing the power button. If I put the battery in ( power chord or not ) it will turn on by itself displaying the beep pattern. Blank screen.

I have to mention some other problems I have had with it. It had the infamous black screen problem. But it was manageable , in the sense that if I opened the lid at a angle lower than 45 degrees it will light up and would not have problems with it until the next reboot. Also, it always worked on an external display so I just assumed that the Nvidia Chip was not at fault.

If anyone has any ideas , I would be most thankful. I really need to fix it since I have some very important files on the HDD that I will be needing at school.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: Hp Pavillion Dv9925Nr Bios Update Fail - Won't Start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: Hp Pavillion Dv9925Nr Bios Update Fail - Won't Start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I see that Cnet isn't the only place you posted this
by Steven Haninger / November 3, 2012 12:09 AM PDT
Collapse -
No it is not, the more help I can get, the better!
by adelina_t / November 3, 2012 12:18 AM PDT

I did find that link. But it doesn't work for me since I have no control over powering up the laptop.

If the battery is in, it turns on by itself and is indiferent to any key combination I press.
If the battery is not in, then it just won't power up. ( the power chord is fine, I checked ).

Anyway, after everithing, I decided to try a CMOS reset again. I removed the ram, the CMOS battery and held the power button pressed to drain capacitors. After putting everything back in , it won't turn on anymore.

Collapse -
Re: very important files
by Kees_B Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 1:12 AM PDT

That's easy to get to those files.

Just get the disk out and connect it to any other PC via USB by putting it in an external enclosure or using a SATA/IDE to USB2 cable. If you feel you can't do it yourself, just take your laptop with you to any computer (repair) shop and they'll do it for you (probably free, maybe for a small fee) if buy that enclosure or cable with them.

Do I understand correctly you don't have the latest version on your backup? If the last version you backed up is not too old, there's always the option to restore that and redo the changes you made since then.

I once had a student who - halfway in a 10 week course - decided to repartition a disk without having a backup. He lost all data. You only lose some time and money (and maybe a laptop), but no data.

Collapse -
Given the model number
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 3, 2012 1:36 AM PDT

It sounds like it's hit the end of the road. At least you can fish out the files (see Kees reply.)

This is a well known model at the shop counters so try the last generic reset and then arrange for HP to repair it if you feel it's worth it.

The generic reset is to remove ac, battery then press and hold the power button for 60 seconds then try again.

-> About the symptoms. It's telling me the BIOS didn't update or was the wrong image. I don't see any recovery method at HP so this is a return to HP repair.

It looks like the machine does need other repairs so it's time.

Collapse -
Call HP
by Willy / November 3, 2012 4:05 AM PDT

While you appear to had problems before the bios update, doing the bios update may have been the final nail in the coffin. the DV9xxx series is prone to heat stress and that cure may have been released for better cooling options or battery issues to include the mtrbd. itself. Overall, it did it in, IMHO. I suggest now you're left calling HP if any warranty what they offer to fix it.

tada -----Willy Happy

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.