1. Was the desktop screen OK (without those white and grey lines) before it went blank?
2. Does it stay blank after a reboot?
3. The litteral text of that bootup message (if it still comes after a reboot)
4. How's the laptop screen now?
5. What kind of connection between laptop and external screen (VGA, DVI, HDMI?)
But the most likely problem is either the display or the videocard (which most likely is on the motherboard) of the laptop. If that's the cause indeed, it needs repair.
I have a HP Pavillion dv 6000 ( model # 6330ea) which I bought 2 years ago, with windows Vista. It was working fine till last week but since the weekend its displaying horizontal white and grey lines on the screen.
I took it to office and connected it to my desk top screen. I got a message there seems to be a problem with one of your programs , resort to a previously stable start up ? ( More or less those words). I choose Yes. After a while it restarted successfully and I was able to login ( looking at the Desktop screen)..but after a short while the desktop screen went blank.
Any help on troubleshooting this would be welcome