HP

General discussion

HP Pavillion dv6330ea displays horizontal lines on screen

by BrightSpark_Leeds / September 22, 2009 8:39 PM PDT

Hi all

I have a HP Pavillion dv 6000 ( model # 6330ea) which I bought 2 years ago, with windows Vista. It was working fine till last week but since the weekend its displaying horizontal white and grey lines on the screen.
I took it to office and connected it to my desk top screen. I got a message there seems to be a problem with one of your programs , resort to a previously stable start up ? ( More or less those words). I choose Yes. After a while it restarted successfully and I was able to login ( looking at the Desktop screen)..but after a short while the desktop screen went blank.

Any help on troubleshooting this would be welcome

Regards
BSL

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavillion dv6330ea displays horizontal lines on screen
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavillion dv6330ea displays horizontal lines on screen
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Things you forgot to tell:
by Kees Bakker / September 22, 2009 8:49 PM PDT

1. Was the desktop screen OK (without those white and grey lines) before it went blank?
2. Does it stay blank after a reboot?
3. The litteral text of that bootup message (if it still comes after a reboot)
4. How's the laptop screen now?
5. What kind of connection between laptop and external screen (VGA, DVI, HDMI?)

But the most likely problem is either the display or the videocard (which most likely is on the motherboard) of the laptop. If that's the cause indeed, it needs repair.

Kees

Collapse -
Reply to HPDv6000 problem
by BrightSpark_Leeds / September 25, 2009 11:14 PM PDT

Hi Kees

My replies below:

Was the desktop screen OK (without those white and grey lines) before it went blank?

Yes
2. Does it stay blank after a reboot?
Yes

3. The litteral text of that bootup message (if it still comes after a reboot)

Something like '.. one or more programs failed to startup correctly, restore to last good startup?' Sorry I don't remember the exact words. This was in the desktop screen

4. How's the laptop screen now?

Still has the horizontal lines

5. What kind of connection between laptop and external screen (VGA, DVI, HDMI?)

Don't know.

Hope this helps

Cheers
Vivek

Collapse -
This one is easy.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 23, 2009 10:41 PM PDT

The dv6000 line is well known for this. HP had a repair note about it and they are swapping motherboards. If you google DV6000 recall your's may or may not be listed but the symptom matches and the cost runs from 259 for the pro-rated repair to a high of 599.

Just wondering, did you call it in at the first sign of trouble? I'm finding folk that didn't but rebooted and a year later it finally conks out for good.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by BrightSpark_Leeds / September 26, 2009 1:48 AM PDT
In reply to: This one is easy.

Thanks Bob for your email

This is the first time I had the problem - its a little more than 2 years since I bought the laptop.

I tried calling HP support. A recorded voice said I have to buy a GBP 15 package to even talk to Technical support. Emailing the technical support on the site came up with an error at the last stage and adviced me to try again ( tried twice).

Thanks anyway for your help

Regards
Vivek

Collapse -
You don't want technical support.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 26, 2009 11:04 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

That would waste not only everyone's time but your money. You want to arrange for repair. That part is free so far in every country.

Let me keep this short and blunt (sorry for any bruising that may occur.)

The issue is well known, the repair is to change out the motherboard so what it comes down to is the simple "How much?"
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.