Laptops

General discussion

hp pavilion ze2000 screen shut off

by ryanmark08 / March 19, 2007 9:45 AM PDT

i bought a used hp pavilion ze2000 laptop. I started dual monitoring with a gateway monitor and everything was working fine. then, after i restarted my computer, it made the gateway monitor the primary monitor and it won't recognize the laptop screen. the screen won't even turn on. i can still use the computer fine, as long as i have it connected to a monitor. if anyone knows what might be wrong, i'd really appreciate it.

System info:
Windows XP
Screen: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200M
ati driver

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hp pavilion ze2000 screen shut off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hp pavilion ze2000 screen shut off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Try rebooting with the gateway monitor diconnected?
by acoxon1274 / March 20, 2007 8:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
Re:
by ryanmark08 / March 20, 2007 1:56 PM PDT

i tried booting it up without the external monitor attached, and the laptop screen did not turn on. when i connected the external monitor, it appeared first at a very low resolution and then in 10 seconds or so, it figured out what the right resolution was.

Collapse -
Okay, here are some other things to check.
by acoxon1274 / March 21, 2007 12:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Re:

I have found that just disconnecting the external display sometimes brings the original display back. I did have an Abit video card that required me to reset the monitor back to the correct display or at the next boot up all I would see was the BIOS splash screen and then the monitor would turn off. Do you see the BIOS splash screen on the laptop's display? I would have to reconnect the external display and working from its screen I would then reset the monitor selection and then re-boot. That would return things to normal. From your original post you have tried this, but did you see a BIOS splash screen? Is there any chance you failed to complete the setting by missing a click? Did you set the properties so that the laptop's LCD could function( say 1024 x 768 @ 60Hz)? I have another computer that when you change the display type in the BIOS you then can only view that type of display. Did you change a setting in the BIOS/CMOS? These are things to check out but it is possible that the laptop's LCD display has died. If that is the case you would not see a BIOS splash screen and the laptop would not see its own display and then it would use the display it can find. I hope this helps.

Collapse -
HP Pavilion dv9000 series (9008nr) laptop's screen, blank
by CreativG / March 24, 2007 10:05 AM PDT

I too am having difficulties getting my relatively new HP laptop to display an image on its screen.

I went to the HP website for solutions. Even holding down the FN + F4 function keys simultaneously doesn't cycle through as it should, enabling the laptop's own display screen. It just stays dark.

Note: The HP website indicates that for some models, there may be a sticking switch which senses when the laptop is closed. But I have found no such switch or button on this unit.

I've found that powering off the unit, or allowing it to hibernate then powering it back on eventually *might* cause the display to come on, but I haven't been able to reproduce this scenario with any reliability.

Any ideas?
-Peter

If anyone has further insights, let me know? Thanks in advance!

Collapse -
your real problem
by torseaton / December 27, 2008 4:15 PM PST
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.