Windows Vista forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion. Reset to Factory Settings advice

by Laura_E_J / January 7, 2011 2:28 AM PST

Hi all,

Im wanting to restore my PC to factory standard. Ive backed up all the files i need to keep, removed all periferals. Im wanting to start from scratch again, hense the restore to factory standard!

Got the book out that came with my PC it says to press F11 key until system recovery starts then advanced options etc but it wont work!!! It just starts up as normal!! All the info i pull up on the net says to use the F11 key too.

Another option is to go thru the vista start menu, into All programs then PC help & tools then recovery manager BUT i cant see PC help and tools in the 'all programs' area!

I have done a system recovery ages ago and can vaguely remember having the same problem but cant recall how i fixed it!!

My system has a recovery partition rather than disks!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion. Reset to Factory Settings advice
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion. Reset to Factory Settings advice
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
My HP
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2011 2:36 AM PST

And all so far let me make recovery DVDs. Make and use those next.
Bob

Collapse -
Mt HP
by Laura_E_J / January 7, 2011 5:26 AM PST
In reply to: My HP

Sorry, I don't understand Bob.

Collapse -
Then
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 7, 2011 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: Mt HP

Then in your case you should order the restore media.

I know many folk don't want to create the restore media and those will have to order it.
Bob

Collapse -
My HP
by Laura_E_J / January 7, 2011 4:38 PM PST

It was that I didn't understand your thread ??

and all so far let me make recovery DvDs. Make and use those next.

It was like the start of the sentence is missing. Am I getting confused?

Collapse -
It's the short version.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 8, 2011 1:19 AM PST

Today's machines have us make our own restore media. THERE IS NO STANDARD FOR THIS so we have to research our make and model how to do that.

I find some members confused over this but as this is a discussion forum we discuss the issues. That is, while you get some tech support here, it's more about members learning how to research and avoid repair counters.
Bob

Collapse -
Because you mention Recovery Manager ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 7, 2011 7:19 AM PST

but I didn't see mention of Desktop or Laptop I will offer links for both.

This is for a desktop (note on that page that "Recovery discs for Windows Vista can be created by using the Recovery Manager" hints how you create your recovery disks:
Performing an HP System Recovery in Windows Vista
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00814731&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

This is for a laptop:
Recover Windows Vista Operating System Using HP Recovery
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00809678&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en

Collapse -
My HP
by Laura_E_J / January 7, 2011 4:45 PM PST

Thanks but that link is to a screen I've already seen, it gives the same info as the book they came with the PC. The F11 route does not work, can't find recovery manager, I don't have recovery disks (and have not found where to order from - even tried HP).

I'm in a right old pickle with it, that's why I've resorted to forums fir advice!

When I get back on the PC I'm going to check the F11 actually works, it could be as simple as the key being broken!

It's a desktop PC, running on Vista Ultimate (I upgraded from normal vista upon purchase).

Collapse -
If pressing F11 ...
by Edward ODaniel / January 8, 2011 7:19 AM PST

by turning on the computer and pressing F11 repeatedly at the first logo screen doesn't work, try (from within Windows) Start > All Programs > Recovery Manager , and then click Recovery Manager - if you don't see it immediately remember that Windows hides unused programs and that is why you have that double upside down chevron to access them.

If that doesn't work try these two links.

The First tells you step by step how to create your recovery media -
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00882383&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us

The second tells you how to order recovery media for your computer if available. I couldn't check availability because you haven't bothered telling us the model number of HP you have.
http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/static_software_select?swlinkmsg=100&lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=bph07143&lang=en

Collapse -
Seriously?
by wjmetz1959 / December 14, 2012 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: If pressing F11 ...

I'm looking for the same answers as Laura.
Edward does not need to reply - he is not comprehending the English Laura is speaking.

Collapse -
Thanks Ed!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 14, 2012 12:02 PM PST
In reply to: If pressing F11 ...

Good to know this.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.