Computer Help forum

Resolved Question

HP Pavilion ms213 Power Issue????

by poyeasfy / December 12, 2012 3:41 AM PST

I have an HP Pavilion ms213 that's having an odd problem.
The computer is having some sort or Power issue.

If I click Restart the computer will shut off (a click sound is heard) and will not restart.
If I shut down the computer will shut off (a click sound is heard).
With Either situation I cannot power the system back on by use of the power button, the only way to turn it back on is to unplug the power cord and plug it back in. Doing this starts the computer without having to push power.
After the machine is on I can use the power button to shutdown the computer so I don't believe the button to be the problem.

Other than this issue the machine works fine. Will surf the internet no problems.

I'm running Windows 7 64 Bit but don't think my system info is needed here.

Any Ideas?

poyeasfy has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer »
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion ms213 Power Issue????
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion ms213 Power Issue????
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer as chosen by poyeasfy

Collapse -
Look into...
by Willy / December 13, 2012 2:47 AM PST

Since, it powers-up when you remove the AC cord and then reurn it it, that suggest some power logic ckt. action. In other words its on the mtrbd. itself. Basically, when removing AC power you also remove the "warm-up ckt. for logic which is why you can turn it ON, when it fact all you're doing is telling to become ON. In other words this isn't a direct AC ON/OFF switcha s you suspect. Once the logic ckt. is drained it allows itself to be reset to default state, OFF. For whatever reason, the mtrbd. is hosed. While you can swap or replace the PSU or AC adapter brick, usually it would provide a quick status if everything working. Since, it's not, then your have an int. repair. Robert, provided a work-around to hope it does this always to ON/OFF the AIO type PC. Repair and downtime maybe too much for this PC, so consider the fix. Next, you may want to fiddle with power setting and see if anything is related, though I think not, just an area to check. If the CMOS battery is somehow at fault, you would think it would reset bios setting over time, check &bverify is anything has come-up as such, otherwise disgard advise. Below is what HP provide on "start-up problems":

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01884928&tmp_task=solveCategory&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4007499

I always check HP/Compaq customer posted problems as they may zero-in on common issues. Also, you can query there to see if they help, it's a free service, but you have to wait for any reply.

tada ------Willy Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Edit
by poyeasfy / December 12, 2012 3:56 AM PST

I'm not sure how to edit my post above but I need to add that this doesn't happen all the time.
Sometimes it restarts fine using the power button.

Collapse -
Answer
I owned a machine like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 4:16 AM PST

It was the motherboard. I changed the PSU because that was cheap but later we changed the motherboard.

Try the cheap parts first such as the PSU and the BIOS battery before you change the motherboard. Also, why not put it on some AC switch power bar to make it easier? Most folk loathe the repair bill for this one.
Bob

Collapse -
PSU?
by poyeasfy / December 12, 2012 8:48 AM PST

I take it to mean Power Supply Unit? Is that the same thing as the AC Adapter in these models?
I ask because I'm used to working with the Old Desktop Style of Power Supply and I'm not sure what to look for.

Also since posting this the Computer no longer turns on at all.
The AC adapter tests at 19.22 with a digital multimeter.

Collapse -
Many pavillions were destops.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 9:11 AM PST
In reply to: PSU?

Since this is a laptop you want to try it without the laptop battery. Here's the story. Folk tend to leave failed batteries in laptops for reasons I can't list here. Those dead batteries can fry something on the main board without killing the adapter. I don't have a lot of story about this laptop but I wonder.
Bob

Collapse -
Not a Laptop
by poyeasfy / December 12, 2012 9:28 AM PST
Collapse -
Repairs run on par with a laptop.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 12, 2012 9:47 AM PST
In reply to: Not a Laptop

That's why I suggest if it's out of warranty that you get power bar and switch.
Bob

Collapse -
That would work if it hadn't died completely
by poyeasfy / December 12, 2012 11:34 AM PST

As I said before it died and will not turn on at all now. These all in one PC's don;t have a built in power supply like older desktops do they?

Collapse -
PSU here
by mchainmchain / December 12, 2012 6:07 PM PST
Collapse -
The PSU or power brick looked OK.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / December 13, 2012 12:10 AM PST
In reply to: PSU here

It's on par with a laptop so your repair bills are about the same as a laptop. If workarounds don't work then you start replacing boards.

I'd start with the cheapest possible part first. The CMOS battery.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.