Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

hp pavilion memory card reader slot

by spy HH / July 2, 2007 8:57 AM PDT

hi, i own a Hp pavilion dv1000, and in the right bottom corner it has a memory reader slot and its said it reads: SD,MS,MS pro,MMC, SM & XD
but i have an SD memory from my digital camera and when i insert it i appears in my computer but it does not exactly read it, cause i can't access to it. Do i need to install some additional software?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: hp pavilion memory card reader slot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: hp pavilion memory card reader slot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You may have to ...
by jackintucson / July 2, 2007 9:04 AM PDT

load the camera's software to read the SD but I wouldn't have thought so. I assume your camera is closing the pics as .jpg. If you're saying that only one slot will read all the different cards then it might be that the SD is not fully seating with the correct pin alignment. Have you tried a different reader just to make sure the card can be read at all??

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
well
by spy HH / July 3, 2007 4:50 AM PDT
In reply to: You may have to ...

actually the memory card reader is integrated with the pc, and i also loaded the camera's software but that's not making any difference in the reader, any other ideas?

Collapse -
What we need..
by jackintucson / July 3, 2007 6:56 AM PDT
In reply to: well

to determine is what is actually at fault here: the laptop's card reader or the SD itself. Have you tried using a different SD just to see if the reader works? Is there another reader available to test the SD? I assume you actually have pics on the SD by virtue of being able to see them on your camera. That means the SD works..but maybe only in the camera. See where I'm going with this?

I have several readers of different types and use several different SD formats (sticks, compact flash, micro/mini SDs). Sometimes a particular reader won't read a SD where another will.

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
ok...
by spy HH / July 3, 2007 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: What we need..

well i think that there must be some software missing in the pc to make the reader work properly and as it seems, it didn't ship with the laptop. well, yes i've tried with other SD cards and the same thing appears, an icon in my computer but i can't open it. and the pictures still appear in the camera and when i use the camera's usb cable and plug it into the pc, yes i can see the images, so in this case, i've forced to use the camera as a SD card reader, kinda funny fact. Well, im pretty sure that the SD is not damaged cause i just bought it a week ago and it works perfectly with the camera.

Collapse -
I agree..
by jackintucson / July 3, 2007 8:03 AM PDT
In reply to: ok...

The memory slot seems to be the culprit. It may be time to contact the manufacturer. The laptop came pre-loaded so all the drivers were installed...or should have been. Sorry about the hardware malfunction. Hope you can get it fixed. Good luck!!

and life goes on...

Jack

Collapse -
(NT) thanks!
by spy HH / July 3, 2007 8:33 AM PDT
In reply to: I agree..
Collapse -
Driver download link
by mike_lowry / August 13, 2007 12:50 PM PDT

Hi,

I had the exact same problem with my HP zv6000 laptop. I did a whole lot of searching on the net and found this site which had drivers for my card reader. I typed in your laptop model (dv1000) and came up with this link.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Others/HP-Pavilion-dv1108EA-Media-Card-Reader-Driver-1401-A1.shtml

Try downloading and installing this and see if it works. If not you might be able to type in "HP Pavilion dv1000 media card reader drivers" in the search on this site and try downloading the drivers from the links that it brings up. If the actual download link is acting funny and not downloading the actual driver install (as it was doing for me), just click the Mirror site link and it should download the actual driver install file that you need.
Hope this works for you (if you haven't already figured it out)

Collapse -
zv 6000
by erichinsocal / September 5, 2007 5:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Driver download link

I also have an HP pavilion zv6000, did installing the new drivers work?? Do you know the link were you got them from??

Did you only have the problem with certain S. D. cards, some cards when I put it in the laptop read fine others they say they?re not formatted

Collapse -
Here is a driver for the media card reader that fixed my HP
by donaram / March 16, 2008 3:46 AM PDT

I have an HP Pavilion ZV6000 (ZV6130US) laptop (2005)running XP pro that wouldn't read any 2GB SD card I tried. The message when I plugged it in was The card is not formated. If I tried to format it it would render the card unreadable by any other device. I updated to this driver and now it reads the SDHC cards. I had exchanged the one I "formated" because even my Vista machine couldn't fix it.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?softwareitem=ob-36022-1&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en&product=500264&os=228&lang=en

HP media driver support

Collapse -
ZV6000 media reader won't read 8gb mini SD card
by windstrings / August 7, 2008 2:54 AM PDT

This is the driver I run and I cannot read my 8gb trascend mini SD card... the card is fine and my printer reads it fine... just not my card reader in my computer... I contacted HP and they know of no other driver that will work?

I anyone knows of another driver that will do the trick, please let me know

Collapse -
For this I use a small external reader.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 7, 2008 3:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
HP integrated card reader problem
by kanoftuna / May 25, 2011 3:40 PM PDT

the problem is the card reader does not read High Capacity SD cards. If you look at your SD card you will see it says SD and under it you will see HC, this means its a High Capacity card and the card readers that are integrated in the Pavilion and laptop computers that came with XP or Vista on them will not read the newer SD/HC cards. Only way I have found around it is to use a USB card reader that does support HC SD cards

Collapse -
SD card readers may not read SDHC cards or cards >2GB
by Spakez / May 27, 2011 3:09 AM PDT

Usually it is a card reader that has reached a hardware limitation - i.e. old technology once again left in the dust. This problem is almost always due to the 2GB size read limitation on SD cards and readers around year 2006-2007 hardware. If your card is an SDHC, then the simplest cheapest solution is to go buy an external card reader and plug it into a USB port (from $5 - $20 max).

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.