Computer Help forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion making high pitched noise

by Mia93Kate / July 4, 2010 3:29 PM PDT

After being disconnected for a few months, I have reconnected my old HP Pavilion PC, purely so I can get some old pictures and music etc. off of it to transfer to my new Dell Laptop.

I connected the computer to its keyboard and monitor, and connected it to the power. When I turned it on, rouhgly a second later it started making this really high pitched noise and didn't stop. Everytime I turn it on it does this. And also, no images comes up on the monitor but when i disconnect the cable it says that the connection has been broken.

Now, I am completely clueless when it comes to the details of computers. I simply know the basics, so I have no idea what's happening to it.

It was a bit slow, but was in pretty good condition when we first disconnected it and put it in storage. And hasn't been touched since.

I'm not exactly sure what the model is but the sticker on the top of it says:

HP Pavilion a1375a
Prod #: ES003AA#ABG
S/N: ********

Any ideas why it's doing this? And what can I do about it?

Message was edited by: admin to remove serial number to prevent misuse by others.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion making high pitched noise
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion making high pitched noise
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Without more details, only a guess
by Steven Haninger / July 4, 2010 7:46 PM PDT

Can you give any clue as to where the noise seems to come from? Speakers, inside the case, etc. Some motherboards do have circuitry to warn if overheating occurs and will alarm. This could happen if such as the CPU fan doesn't work but you'd need to open the case to know this.

Collapse -
Did my best...
by Mia93Kate / July 5, 2010 11:21 AM PDT

Well as I mentioned, I'm clueless about the details of computers. But I can tell that the noise is coming from inside the case. Would overheating cause it to not show any images on the screen?? How do I tell if the CPU fan isn't working? A friend of mine seems to think it might be something to do with the Hard Drive?

Collapse -
Old HP system stored away in a dusty enclosed place.
by LucJPatenaude / July 5, 2010 1:22 PM PDT

You will need to bring it to a computer technician for monitor and overall case of the machine's thorough cleanup. Probably check if the fans are functioning properly and, then, do a Tune-up check-up and repair when windows is booted up and running.

This is not so new of a case that even old computers pulled out of archiving status could, even, catch on fire.

Do not boot it up until the technician can do his/her complete clean-up job.

Collapse -
Side cover
by mopscare42 / July 5, 2010 1:59 PM PDT

That computer is very easy to get the side cover off and check it to see if it has a bunch of dust or something else in it causing the noise.
Some years back I had one that was left in a storage shed and had a bunch of bugs packed in the CPU fan. When the lady tried to start using it again, It too had a strange noise and wouldn't boot all the way.
We just cleaned it out with canned air and it worked fine.
Look at the left back side of the computer and you will see a thumb screw that you can normally unscrew with your fingers. Right above that there is a pullout tab. Unscrew the screw and pull straight back and the side will come right off where you can see inside the computer.
Just be sure to have the power unplugged when you do that.
If you feel uneasy doing that see if you can find a friend who is familiar with computers and ask if they will help you with it.

Collapse -
Replying to the guy that offered help to the original poster
by LucJPatenaude / July 5, 2010 2:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Side cover

Is kinda dumb. I, exactly, know, how to treat computers in a way, that, such silliness does not happen to me.

To me, a PC, is not, a mere mechanical based machine. It is a, very fragile piece of High Electronics type of equipment.

Even if, I get to happen to have to store away an older machine, I still, treat it with absolute respect. She is called: The Backup System.

The older one simply, uses the newest machine's packaging box and its fillings. The same method is used for all other peripheral hardware units. Only throw out the very old and totally useless ones(takes me only about 3 to 5 years for them to reach the garbage bin).

And, yes, my room looks like an independent technicians' part shop.

Collapse -
Not Rocket science

And the poster said they were clueless to how computers work and whats inside them.
I was just offering some help on how to save time and money by not taking it to a "Professional computer tech". That's what these forums are for to help people and give advise.
The only thing I see "dumb" is the absolute respect for inanimate object.

Collapse -
Open it up and check
by Dango517 / July 9, 2010 10:59 AM PDT

to see where that noise is coming from. Best guesses would be a fan or the hard drive. If it's a fan a baring might have gone out this is generally easy too fix and cheap. If the hard drive has failed those files might be history, if not then you need to get to them ASAP. Do not wait retrieve them now, if possible.

Listen closely are there any beeps when this PC starts? Beep codes can be used to define hardware failures and are heard at start up. What they mean can be found at the manufactures web site by searching for "beep codes".

Collapse -
If you only want the files...
by Zouch / July 10, 2010 2:07 AM PDT

...and you have a friend who is reasonably familiar with PCs, it might be worth having him/her take out the hard drive, put it in an external USB caddy and plug it directly into your new laptop to transfer the files. Probably worth getting said friend to take off the side cover and listening to see if the hard drive is spinning before buying the caddy.

Collapse -
Fixed! :D
by Mia93Kate / July 10, 2010 2:47 PM PDT

Hey everyone, thanks for all your help!

I got that friend I mentioned to look at all your advice and then look at the computer. It turns out that the fans were all really clogged up with dust etc. and the hardrive had over heated and the graphics card was blown(hence the lack of images on the screen).
But seeing as only one of the sides of the case is able to be opened, he couldn't access the hardrive. Now I don't know the details of it, but pretty much he connected the Pavilion to his PC so he could access the hardrive via his computer and then we transfered all the info onto my new laptop. Fixed Happy

Thanks so much for all your help!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.