Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion laptop's lights flashing on and off

by Doctor Who / October 13, 2010 1:42 PM PDT

My daughter's HP Pavilion Entertainment laptop, about 3 years old, started acting funny today. She had been using it to do some work, and then closed it. Later when she tried to open it to get back to what she was doing, it wouldn't come up. She shut it down, and when she tried to bring it back up it started acting very strangely. The lights along the keyboard would flash on and off, and that is all it does.

So, what's causing it to do this and why? And what do I do about it?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion laptop's lights flashing on and off
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion laptop's lights flashing on and off
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
What model?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 13, 2010 1:44 PM PDT

Let's hope it's not the now famous dv6000 or dv9000 models.

Collapse -
It's a dv9700
by Doctor Who / October 14, 2010 10:15 AM PDT
In reply to: What model?

It is a HP Pavilion dv9700 Notebook PC. Does that fall into the "... famous dv6000 or dv9000 models" that you mentioned? And if it does, then what's the problem with those 2 models?

Collapse -
Sad to read that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 14, 2010 1:19 PM PDT
In reply to: It's a dv9700

You can research this on google. Type DV6000 on google and there's the story. Type DV6000 RECALL or DV9000 RECALL to learn more.

If the generic reset fails, the cost to repair is not kind.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure if the dv9700 had any recalls
by Doctor Who / October 14, 2010 9:42 PM PDT
In reply to: Sad to read that.

Doing a quick search I didn't find any. But I don't have a lot of time at the moment, will have to look later.

Collapse -
I've heard folk write such.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 15, 2010 1:12 AM PDT

The 9700 shares the same chips as what was recalled. If you feel that the 9700 was excluded from the disaster models dv6000/dv9000 then there's little I can save you from. That is, we know the problem and we know to try the generic reset and unless HP gives us a free repair it's time to move on.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.