Laptops forum

General discussion

HP pavilion laptop pointer arbitrarily causes window to zoom

by dedubois / January 30, 2010 2:27 AM PST

I have an HP Pavilion laptop entertainment PC with Vista. Periodically, when using the touchpad pointer, the active window will zoom up to 150-200%. I've tried slowing down the speed of the touchpad response to no avail. Does anyone else have this problem or know how to fix it? Thanks

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP pavilion laptop pointer arbitrarily causes window to zoom
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP pavilion laptop pointer arbitrarily causes window to zoom
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Sounds like a setting.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 30, 2010 3:36 AM PST

Try the Vista forum but it sounds like a setting or user issue. One owner didn't know how the pad worked with how/what it did when we slid the finger along the right edge. For them they didn't want a lesson on trackpad use so we disabled it and put in a mouse.
Bob

Collapse -
HP Laptop Zoom Problem assumed to be a touchpad problem
by RobT633 / June 28, 2010 10:15 PM PDT

Hi, I am trying to fix the same problem on a friend's HP Pavilion. She gets this problem a lot and not just in the web browswer but also when typing in a wordprocessor package. I witnessed it myself the other day when as I logged on as her and went to the home page in the browser and started to type, the screen zoomed to 1000% in an instant. Did you find a fix yet? I'd be interested to know what is causing this. I've tried 'accidentally' sliding my finger on the right-hand scroll bar of the touch pad but all that does is scroll - as it should do. I can't replicate the problem but it does keep happening often enough to be really annoying. Any more advice would be appreciated.

Collapse -
Recurring fix.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 28, 2010 10:23 PM PDT

The number to times the following helps or fixes it might be useful info so I'll share.

1. As above. Disable the touchpad and issue a mouse.

2. Install TouchFreeze (see google.)

In one extreme user case they were adamant to the point of being belligerent. We set up a web cam to record them and the old dangling thumb did hit the pad each time the problem occurred. While the user was still unconvinced the rest of us just nodded our heads.
Bob

Collapse -
zoom from mouse pad
by glenysepalmer / September 15, 2010 6:34 AM PDT
In reply to: Recurring fix.

HP pavilion mouse pad seems to zoom the page at random. I also get this problem continually. Have tried to replicate it intentionally but cannot do so.

Does anyone know what I am doing to cause it?
Some-one mentioned a rogue thumb - but what is that thumb doing? I need to know so that I can stop doing it if that is that the case. I have my doubts however that is it and what does the nodding of heads mean?

PLease help - this is driving me nuts!

Collapse -
hp mouse pad zoom
by glenysepalmer / September 15, 2010 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: Recurring fix.

I am also getting this problem continually and have also tried to replicate it intentionally but have been unable to do so.

Someone mentioned a dangling thumb? What exactly is this thumb supposed to be doing to cause the problem?

Please can anyone tell me exactly what I am doing to cause this to happen as it is driving me nuts!!

Thanks, Glenys

Collapse -
Fix for zooming problem
by scottprater22 / September 18, 2010 6:38 AM PDT
In reply to: hp mouse pad zoom

In the mouse settings, go in and disable the "pinch" setting. That is a setting that allows you to use your touch pad to zoom in and zoom out. Once I did that, my problem went away.

Collapse -
I have the same problem
by georgiorobert / April 1, 2011 7:28 PM PDT

I had the same problem and it really annoys me, although after reading the post above I have realised that it is just a pinch setting, similar to the one on my android phone. To zoom out you just pinch your fingers away from each other, not sure why I would ever need to use it as I can just make the screen settings larger if I can't read a webpage.

Collapse -
zoom issues
by Liliano1256 / January 6, 2014 11:10 AM PST

i have had the zoom issues for weeks and was demented by it but a few hours ago I went into touchpad settings and tried to see if there was something on settings causing it Pinch was clicked so i unchecked it and problem resolved - which is great so came here to see if there was any other issues could cause it and I found Scottprater22 had posted same thing the pinch settings - GOOD ONE AS IT WORKS lol

Collapse -
Pinch Settings
by SBurkett30 / January 16, 2014 10:44 AM PST
In reply to: zoom issues

I have windows 8, how do I get to the pinch settings on my laptop. I have zoomed and made my stuff smaller and it is really starting to bother me!

Collapse -
HP Pavilion laptop entertainment PC with Vista.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 16, 2014 1:32 PM PST
In reply to: Pinch Settings

You may want to make this a warranty or return issue. But this discussion is about "HP Pavilion laptop entertainment PC with Vista."

Collapse -
Procedure for turning off the trackpad zoom "feature"
by CupertinoDan / January 29, 2015 4:47 PM PST

Issue: When you move your finger side to side on the trackpad, whatever window is on top zooms in and out.

My experience with this was with a windows 8.1 Operating System on a HP Pavilion Laptop.

What I found to work:
1)Control Panel
2)Mouse
3)Click Pad Settings (Tab on the top)
4)Click Pad Settings (Center top of the screen)
5)Unclick pinch zoom
6)Click Apply
7)Click OK.
As an alternative to steps 1-4, you may be able to go directly to Synaptics Clickpad

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.