Laptops forum

General discussion

HP pavilion just "dies..."

by NYLisa / January 12, 2005 1:45 AM PST

I never had any luck with my HP pavilion laptop ze 4125 running win xp and was told I would need a new hard drive.

Towards the end, it would crash alot and I would restore the OS alot, but then as I was puttings the CD's on - it would just die - no warning, no error message, just power off - so I was unable to even get the system up and running. The computer would feel very hot, and would die out even quicker if I tried again with the cd's.

So last night, I finally replace the hard drive - very easy - but it is doing the same thing with the konking out...I cannot get it up and running.
I spent well over an hour with an HP chat tech support who finally recommended service as he was blaming it on the hard drive - but again it acting in EXACTLY the same prior to the new hard drive.

Suggestions? or what is really wrong with this laptop?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP pavilion just "dies..."
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP pavilion just "dies..."
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Just a thought
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 12, 2005 2:34 AM PST

If you are technically inclined, look at removing the CPU heatsink, adding some ARTIC SILVER HEATSINK compound and trying again. A common issue, but may be too deep for some to tackle.

How old is this unit? They don't last forever.

Collapse -
Cooling /ventilation system sounds like the ticket
by KenSanramon / January 12, 2005 3:03 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought

Yes, Bob has a good suggestion -- you should not get excessive heat from a bad hard drive which suggests your cooling system is either obstructed or there is a failure.

Dust can build up as it sucked in to the vents over time in some cases so that sounds like a good place to start. I assume you have a Pentium 4M notebook as a cooling system not up to spec would overheat in this type of notebook the fastest.

This is what the Pentium M notebooks area are about (cutting the power, heat and cutting thickness and weight) but of course the heat sink can get obstructed on those too ...

Collapse -
by NYLisa / January 12, 2005 4:08 AM PST

Ths computer is actually a athlon

Collapse -
by NYLisa / January 12, 2005 4:07 AM PST
In reply to: Just a thought

The unit is actually only 2 years old...

Collapse -
Pentium 4M and current AMD chips are both hotter running
by KenSanramon / January 12, 2005 5:33 AM PST
In reply to: .

Both Pentium 4M's and Athlon cpus run much hotter than the Pentium M (Centrino) notebook I have (low voltage AThlons are coming but you don't have that).

At any rate, 2 years is enough time for your fan heat sink over the cpu or some of the vents sucking air into the notebook for ventilation to become clogged or blocked.

Most notebooks can easily have the keyboard removed for you to view the internals and see whether the heat sink is working and whether you have a lot of dust in there ..

You would not want to remove the keyboard under warranty but at 2 years you are probably out of warranty.

If you are still in warranty insist that HP/Compaq (repair facility in Milpitas) opens up the notebook to look for why you have having heat issues and having the notebook shut down ...........

Collapse -
Dust Build-Up on Athlon systems
by Ryan T / January 12, 2005 6:39 AM PST

I saw an Athlon 64 system barely six months old running in a fairly clean environment which which had dust build-up on the grille of the intake fan. Pretty surprising I thought. Just goes to show you how quick dust can build up . . .

Collapse -
HP Pavillion ze5400
by bking4 / April 9, 2005 3:27 PM PDT

I am having one heck of problem keeping my HP Pavillon running... It keeps conking out... I have tried all of HP's suggestions.

I have three of these machines

machine 2 - started conking out on me and i tried to restore the OS from the disks HP provided with the machine... It will not read those disks.

machine 3 -- has now started doing the samething that machine 1 was doing... just shutting down for no apparent reason -- HP not much help.

Is anyone out there having similar problems and if so how did you solve it. I am about to trash these notebooks and not purchase anything else form HP.

Collapse -
Just another example of...
by culture_of_one / April 9, 2005 3:48 PM PDT
In reply to: HP Pavillion ze5400

HP's less than spectacular customer service.

There should be a CNET award for "crappiest service and support"--but what would we call it? The "Golden Turkey Award"? The "Golden Rip-Out-the-Phone-by-Its-Roots Award"? The "Golden Bird Award"? (Nice connotations there.) The "Golden Clueless Award"? (Big question mark, maybe?) The "Golden ***** Award"? (Naw...might get confused with something from NASA.) Can someone please help me out here?! Silly

Collapse -
How I got mine to work...
by NYLisa / April 10, 2005 2:33 AM PDT

There is no science to this method...

I have the one that just KONKS out of the blue (and note it started happening a month after the warranty expired...)

I took it outside, it was a bit chilly out 44degrees, I kind of hung it off the edge of a table and I got all the restore disks on it and it has been working OK - I baby it quite a bit, give it lots of breaks to cool down, backup like mad, and make sure there is nothing near the fan so there is plenty of circulation.

I researched all over and was never to find out why this happens - you are the first to hear has the same problem as me.

On another front, I am having better luck with this crappy HP than the lemon Dell I purchased over the summer.

Hope it helps - Lisa

Collapse -
It's pretty clear that...
by culture_of_one / April 10, 2005 3:26 AM PDT

Dell and HP are competing for the same award! Silly

Collapse -
HP And Compaq notebooks
by ikenfixit / April 10, 2005 6:52 PM PDT

These dont really have an adequete cooling system as far as I'm concerned. Weve been getting alot of these and will continue to do so. Thermal issues, Power supply problems, Field effect transistors shorting open or across, Bad solder on various areas of the board. The list is almost endless. If anyone needs help we offer free Diagnostics and can replace a systemboard for half of what Compaq charges. (Generally not required as most are repairable). Bill? Dont trash them. We also buy parts units.. Sorry you ended up with three of these problems.

Collapse -
Nice to know...
by culture_of_one / April 11, 2005 5:04 AM PDT

there's someone out there who can help! Wink

Sincerely, JDM

Collapse -
by bigblue202 / May 9, 2005 12:22 PM PDT
In reply to: Nice to know...

I've got thre same problem with an overheating HP laptop. Sounds like this is a standard problem for HP's.

My other laptop is a Thinkpad with an M chip, which seems to run much cooler.

Collapse -
Do try this procedure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 9, 2005 8:58 PM PDT
In reply to: HP ze1115 PROBLEM
Collapse -
by assman / January 1, 2006 1:39 PM PST

the processor is overheating. i have the same laptop.

in order to fix this problem you need to download the latest flashbios from hp's support area. (this also decreases fan activity by 50 percent or more)

good luck.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.