Laptops forum

General discussion

HP Pavilion dv9000 does not detect CD/DVD drive

by Kate2227 / January 11, 2011 6:48 AM PST

My hp pavilion dv9000 with windows vista has a CD burner, DVD burner and lightscribe burner, but just recently when trying to play a DVD on my computer it didnt recognize that the computer even had a CD/DVD drive. I went online to try and troubleshoot, and was given a few options, one was to run Microsoft Fix it, which did nothing, seemed to start doing something, but didnt help at all. The other instructions asked me to go into my device manager and check for the presence of the optical drive. It requires me to open the DVD/CD Rom drives to acess the installed drives, but when I go into my device manager to do this, there is no DVD/CD Rom drive available for me to select. Here is the url for these troubleshooting tips,

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/Document.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&taskId=110&prodSeriesId=1842187&prodTypeId=321957&prodSeriesId=1842187&objectID=c00678214

There is an option if I cant locate the optical drive to uninstall and reinstall the optical disk drive in the device manager. When i try that, and open the device manager, it wants me to click on the driver I want to uninstall, which would be DVD/CD Rom, but that is not on the list.

Its like it disappeared! When I go into windows media player as if to rip songs from a CD it says I require a CD drive to rip music.
Advice suggestions or a solution would be greatly appreciated!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion dv9000 does not detect CD/DVD drive
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion dv9000 does not detect CD/DVD drive
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Google this
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 11, 2011 10:11 AM PST

DV9000 RECALL.

The failures are wide ranging but in this case it looks like the drive or interface has failed. If unplugging the CD/DVD drive doesn't fix it, go get some USB DVDRW because I would never repair this model line.
Bob

Collapse -
Same issue with my HP DV9000 series LT
by geofiggy / September 9, 2011 12:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Google this

I too have experienced this same issue. Seems to have been after the last Microsoft update a few days back.

DV9000 series
George

Collapse -
Re: drive
by Kees_B Forum moderator / September 9, 2011 12:19 AM PDT

If you think it's caused by some Microsoft update undo it (depends on the OS how to undo it, so I can't tell). If that doesn't help you might consider to think hardware and replace the drive or use an external one.

An easy and convenient test: try to boot from some bootable CD or DVD. If that doesn't work, it's surely hardware.
Even easier and even more basic: see if the BIOS setup recognizes the drive. That's a minimal condition for it to work.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by geofiggy / September 9, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: drive

Will try those options.

Collapse -
I have the perminate fix
by Mr1s / January 14, 2012 11:04 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Gents
If all of the other suggested sites and links fail like they did for me try this.
It is a windows 7 issue not a hardware or HP issue like some would think. Download this .iso file from mircosoft.com

Collapse -
It didn't work!
by cneteurocat / February 4, 2012 8:16 AM PST

I very carefully did the steps outlined above. I get as far as the image drive and that is all. A new drive doesn't pop in at all.

Any other options?

Kelly

Collapse -
Thanks
by geofiggy / February 5, 2012 10:30 PM PST
In reply to: Google this

Bob, did as you suggested because nothing else worked.

Collapse -
You're welcome.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 6, 2012 1:07 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

After too many dv6000/dv9000/tx1000 and similar machines based on that design, you know to not touch those machines. It's like a stigma that could rub off on you.

That is, you know these models are trouble and if you try to fix it by swapping this or that or reflowing solder, the basic design has a flaw and it fails again sooner than other units. Folk could get the idea your repairs are inferior.

I think you understand why we came up with other ways to get it working.
Bob

Collapse -
Yes Sir, got it!
by geofiggy / February 6, 2012 4:06 AM PST
In reply to: You're welcome.

On a side note, I've invested in a Fujitsu Notebook and it's fabulous. Has Windows 7 but it works great. Made the decision based on the way they design their Network equipment (DWDM, etc) and the Network Management interfaces that come with that are extremely user friendly.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.