Laptops forum

Resolved Question

HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition with Dual Monitors?

by Tsiek / August 17, 2012 5:23 PM PDT

Is there a way to dual monitor with two Asus-VH242H Monitors

while still having my laptop lid closed, if not the lid open and screen just turned off?
I have a HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition Entertainment Notebook PC.

It has one HDMI and one VGA port.

I have also seen some HDMI to VGA adapters as well as some USB to VGA adapters, but i have heard they cause delays.

I just don't know if my GPU supports two monitors without an adapter, some places say it does and other say it does not.

The GPU I bought is a Nvidia GeForce GT 650M 2GB GDDR5

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Tsiek has chosen the best answer to their question. View answer
Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition with Dual Monitors?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: HP Pavilion dv6t-7000 Quad Edition with Dual Monitors?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Best Answer chosen by Tsiek

Collapse -
Most laptops turn off with the lid closed. Why?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 17, 2012 11:51 PM PDT

Because the heat is also getting out through the keyboard area so makers have disabled the run with the lid closed feature.

As to the use of both connections, I have yet to see models that support using both. You can use one or the other.

Maybe you are really shopping for a small brick of a desktop?

Collapse -
RE:Most laptops turn off with the lid closed.
by Tsiek / August 18, 2012 2:47 AM PDT

Yeah I am really just trying to turn my laptop into a desktop when I am at home. I really wish there was a way I could dual screen without a laggy USB output though.

Collapse -
Subject Line
by cghodo / August 23, 2012 5:22 AM PDT

I just bought the laptop you're asking about so I would hope so (it's shipping right now).

I currently have a Dell XPS 15. With it, I can either use both the laptop screen and another screen via hdmi or I CAN close the lid and just use the one screen, so I wouldn't give up hope that you have to keep the lid open. If you haven't yet, just see what happens when you close the lid while connected to an external display.

Since you definitely can use the laptop screen and an external at the same time, I'm not sure why you couldn't use two externals and close the lid or even keep it open for a third display.

Speaking to the duel video card requirement, I'm a little hazy although I know it's not required for all duel monitor use cases. I doubt that you could use duel displays in a game (that utilizes both displays for the game (say, 2x 1080p monitors would get you a side by side total resolution of 3840 x 1080).

In sum, you should be able to verify if you can close the lid while connected to an external monitor. I didn't know this was an issue for some laptops so I guess its different for each model. If you can, I see no reason why you could use two monitors at once with the lid closed (one using hdmi and the other using vga).

Collapse -
Found something relevant
by cghodo / August 23, 2012 5:31 AM PDT
Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / August 23, 2012 5:39 AM PDT

But I'm unsure how it applies since it's a different model.

Collapse -
RE: Different Model
by cghodo / August 23, 2012 8:06 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks for the update.

I included it because it does show that HP at least supports a multi external monitor setup with lid closed in some models. I haven't been able to confirm that it is possible with the dv6t-7000, partly because there isn't much info of any sort online about this model.

I'm making the reasonable assumption that if it's possible to run multi monitor set-ups from that model of similar price, it's likely possible from the dv6t as well. The capability would mostly have to do with the video card and the GT 650m is very good.

I hope to have mine in around Wednesday of next week so I'll try to run a couple monitors from it to see how it behaves. I might also take the time to write a review for it since there is such a dearth of opinion available online. I couldn't actually find a review from any website I had heard of before.

Collapse -
by Tsiek / August 24, 2012 3:45 AM PDT
In reply to: RE: Different Model

That was probably one of the most helpful posts yet. I actually called HP support and they said it should work just fine. But then again I did speak to a rep who has probably never even touched my computer before. So I would say my best bet is for me to just buy the two monitors and try it out and return one if it doesn't.

Collapse -
Figured out the lid issue
by cghodo / August 27, 2012 9:35 AM PDT
In reply to: thanks

Justgot the laptop in today. Won't be able to confirm duel external monitors until this weekend, but closing the lid while hooked up to an external monitor works. Hit the Windows Key, type in "lid", click "change what closing the lid does" and change the result in the drop down menu to "nothing". I'd suggest just selecting it when hooked up to AC adapter as you'd want it to sleep otherwise. FYI, the screen still turns off when you close the lid, but the external will keep going. With the default settings, the external will turn off.

Right now, I have it set to extend the display when the external is hooked up and when I close the lid, it goes blank for a second and then comes back up adjusted to one screen.

I expecting to be able to hook up a second monitor this weekend via the vga and be able to either run the two externals by themselves or open up the lid for a third. FYI, the graphics card (GT 650m) supports up to 4 monitors, but it's common for laptops to allocate control of the displays to the integrated (Intel 4000 in this case) graphics chip which might reduce that. Unless you've already confirmed it works, I'll update after this weekend when I try the duel externals.

Collapse -
Same here.
by Tsiek / August 28, 2012 3:29 AM PDT

Yeah I just recieved my laptop last week. And I seen what you were talking about with the being able to use 4 monitors in total on intergrated and dedicated graphics. My monitors should arrive this Friday so let me know how it works for you before then.

Collapse -
Potential VGA issue
by cghodo / August 30, 2012 5:26 AM PDT
In reply to: Same here.

Don't have a second monitor yet, but I tried plugging in both a hdmi and vga cable at the same time and the fit was too tight for both. My VGA was the kind with screws so maybe if I try one without the them there might be enough room, but as it stands, the two cables I have won't fit in side by side.

Collapse -
by Tsiek / August 30, 2012 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Potential VGA issue

Yeah they don't make VGA cables without the screws because that's how they keep them from getting yanked out of the tower and monitor. I made mine work by just cutting off the plastic around the screws with a razor knife and bending back the metal piece by hammering it. The HDMI and VGA both fit on mine now but only have about 8th of an inch of clearance. Apparently the new HP laptops and a few other Sony and Dell laptops are notorious for having the VGA and HDMI ports too close.

As for both ports working; the both do without any lag for me at the same time. Although it seems that if you use both ports to dual monitor that you have to turn of the laptop display to run both monitors. You can also have the laptop lid closed and run both monitors which is what I was planning on doing to begin with. I don't know of any other way to have more than two monitors or one monitor and the display at the same time though. The GPU most certainly can do it though becuse I have seen the new mac run 4 displays at once with the same GPU. But as it stands I cannot figure out a way to have the screen on as well.

Collapse -
Laptop Screen
by cghodo / August 30, 2012 11:59 PM PDT
In reply to: Vga

So does the laptop screen turn off automatically when you hook up both external monitors?

If it's maxed out at 2 displays, it's likely that the intergrated video handles the video outs, making the 4 display max of the gt 650m irrelevant.

Anyway, glad it worked out the way you wanted.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.